PDA

View Full Version : stubborn anenome

cocoa_pleco
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
JEEZ.

I just bought a condylactis anenome, and drip acclimated him. When i put him in the tank, he wouldnt let go of my finger with his arms. for 35 minutes he wouldnt let go, and i couldnt reach my cellphone to call for someone. My arm is killing me. He was bent on my finger.

cocoa_pleco
04-08-2007, 11:00 PM
GREAT, he stung 2 of my fingers. Hes on my bad side.

at least hes not being mean to me by pretending hes dying. he has all his arms out and is chilling

Rue
04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Good grief! Cut the poor baby a little slack! He's scared to death! Put yourself in his shoes...er...rock...well, you know what I mean...

...meanie...

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
If i was him, i wouldnt stick myself to someones hand for half a hour and make them sit there, trying to call someone for help.

hes a lil troublemaker

2manyfish
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
This is just a preview of things to come.....

I hope you are doing okay today!! Fingers still hurt? Next time you go to remove an invert like that use a net! Gently of course!!

Important things about condy anemones. They are not hosting anemones. They have been known to eat or sting fish on occasion. They are very, very well known for moving around a tank! It is extremely important that you cover up any intake tube from a filter or a powerhead, skimmer, etc...so the anemone does not become snared by them on it's wanderings. You can use filter media, sponges (as long as they are aquarium safe!), even old nylon stockings that are rinsed clean. You do not want to leave any opening that the anemone can insert it's tentacles into!! As you have found out, they pack quite a sting and they can sting other corals too. Don't place other corals near them (although that's kinda moot, once they start moving around it's more of a crap shoot). It is also perfectly normal for them to shrivel up. This is how they expel wastes from their bodies. If the anemone remains shriveled for more than a day, then you might have problems. And lastly, like any anemone they are very unforgiving of poor water quality. Watch your water parameters carefully and do water changes as necessary to keep it happy!
HTH

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info.

My fingers are good today, but yesterday they hurt. I have my powerheads and filter covered up so that nothing can get stuck. Hes found a piece of rock he likes.
Hes eating good too. I thawed some frozen krill and he took it and ate it.

2manyfish
04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear your okay! thumbs2: Good news on the anemone too!! :18:

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
just need a black percula clown and im finished.

Rue
04-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Glad to hear that the baby's eating! Way to go!

vellais
05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
anemony???
arnt they like corals? they move around the tank
what the hell??

abit off topic but whats a protein skimmer and what do they do?

kenyth
05-04-2007, 06:42 PM
anemony???
arnt they like corals? they move around the tank
what the hell??

abit off topic but whats a protein skimmer and what do they do?

Anemones are single invertebrate animals that can move around on their "foot", albeit quite slowly. They also have a limited swimming ability. Anemones are closely related to Corals, Jellyfish, and Hydras. Corals are colony of sea anemone-like polyps that form a heavy calcium carbonate shell for protection. They don't move. Over many generations, the polyps lay down a skeleton that is characteristic of their species. A head of coral grows by asexual reproduction of the individual polyps. Corals also breed sexually by spawning

A protein skimmer is a water filtering device most commonly used in Marine tanks. IIRC, they agitate the water with bubbles and cause biological wastes to flocculate into foam on top of the water. The foam is then "skimmed" into a collection cup for storage and disposal. This device collects biological wastes before they decompose. This slows the Nitrogen cycle, preventing the build-up of Nitrate. This way, relatively expensive saltwater changes can be minimized.

cocoa_pleco
05-04-2007, 09:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly correct. I never bothered with the skimmer. The condy is doing fine with no skimmer. Hes just a hunk of gel with arms.