PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Learned From the AC?

Deleted User
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
What valuable information have you all learned from this community?

So much of what I have learned (and i know I have lots left to learn) has come from here and that is even with a shelf full of books about aquariums and fish that I have purchased and have read in big sections. It's a whole different level of understanding when you can pose a question and have a conversation about the topic, and read other conversations, about this hobby.

Probably I couldn't begin to list even 1/10th of what I learned through here, but some of what I've learned includes:

How to "jump start" an aquarium's cycle using existing media from another tank
Not to do as big a partial water change at once as I have been
That salt is not routinely beneficial
The higher value of biological filter media over the disposable floss and carbon filters I thought were must haves
That you can use pool filter sand as substrate
How great it is to have a Python

What about you folks? What information did your learn thanks to the AC?

Northernguy
10-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I had never heard of a Fishless Cycle before joining the Fabulous AC!thumbs2:

cfgsteak
10-21-2009, 05:06 PM
A lot.

The big things for me have been:

Filtration
Fish compatibility
Cycling
Bio-load considerations
Disease treatment
The ease of using real plants

This site has saved a lot of my fishes lives I'm sure!

dragoonwoman
10-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Fishless cycling!! (Wish I'd know this years ago)
Don't need carbon except to remove meds, etc.
Better care of my plants
Dip strips are worthless!
Fish compatibility, stocking limits
Lighting, watts per gallon, temp of light

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. If I sat here longer, I'm sure I'd think of others....

I also have a lot of fun just reading the various posts, even if they are about fish I've never kept/never will keep, other pets, pet peeves, whatever.

Afk4Jfk
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Honestly EVERYTHING

lahlumdi
10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Jill, you always pose the most INTERESTING questions!

I, too, have learned so much from this forum.

For starters -

The Fishless cycle
Compatibility
Use of Garlic for disease
Natural ways to keep your aquarium without lots of chemicals

Most recently I have started learning more about taking better photos of fish.

Thank you AC!

VoidParadigm
10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Biggest one for me would be goldfish and pleco required tank sizes.

Deleted User
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
The members here truly have made this my #1 place to learn fish things from. We are lucky the AC is here! There's a mini horse message board a lot like this one I've been on for years and years except on that one, I can help with answers WAY more than I can here. For here, I am pretty much all questions and trying t learn!

Thanks for chiming in!!! I'm hoping that some of what you all point out you learned will jog my mind to learn more about something, and same for other people newer to fish or who haven't yet experienced something you've learned about through the AC.

King Tut
10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
The number one thing I have learned:

I will never stop learning!!! I love keeping critters period but the fish have been a whole new world and I am glad we (Chazbot and myself) have found such a friendly place. I belong to other forums for modelling and for technical (yeah I am a computer geek) computer info but this is the nicest bunch of people around.

Mith
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I've learned that there are still good people out there in the world....

(Specially Lady Hobbs who's been so helpful and patient with me)

Deleted User
10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I've learned that there are still good people out there in the world....

(Specially Lady Hobbs who's been so helpful and patient with me)
She is awesome!!! I've found a shared interest in an animal hobby makes the world a smaller place in a very good way :1luvu:

bushwhacker
10-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Not to do as big a partial water change at once as I have been''

jill i have to take exception to this. i do at least 50-60 percent every week some folks do even more. there are a lot of things that build up in our tanks besides ammonia nitrites and nitrates. and water changes are the only way to remove them... clean water never hurt a fish gal!

Deleted User
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
See, that was how I thought until yesterday and started to question if I'm taking it to far. What I've been doing is about a 70-75% water change 1x a week in all tanks except the goldfish, in which I do it 2x a week. I love doing the water changes...

Mith
10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
I always do at least a 60% in my cichlid tank, however, my planted only gets 30-40.....not sure why though LOL. I keep an eye on the parameters though.

Amazon
10-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Basically 70% of my tropical fish knowledge. this forum has very knowledgable people.
Also learned every aspect of cycling.

bushwhacker
10-22-2009, 12:10 AM
yeah it uses a lot of water , but it better for the fish go back to your changes maybe not 75% but at least 50% all my tanks are planted mith. and they get the same changes

Crispy
10-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I learned that my fish like veggies. Also learned a ton about filtration and bioloads.

hybridguy
10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Basically i am learning that alot of my old ways of doing things is not the best. I try to stay open minded and suck in all the info i can. I have learned i am not doing enough waterchanges on any of my tanks.And i found out there are a lot of fish lovers out there!!thumbs2:

sheamurai
10-22-2009, 01:54 AM
I can't list everything I've picked up here, either. What I do know, is that without this forum, my fish would have died within a month or two of me starting my tank, and I would have been sad and disappointed and feeling guilty and confused and would not have five tanks right now!
Oh, speaking of five tanks, if not for AC I would not have MTS!!!

domjd05
10-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I started posting on AC when I had a single 10 gallon tank that my wife brought home.. 2 dwarf gouramis and some zebra danios... I have asked probably hundreds of questions here on AC, too many to list, and I'd have to say.. aside from the few "parrots" and a few people who'd rather smear your name as a fish keeper than give advice, I have gained a huge amount of knowledge. IMO forums like this, for hobbys like this, are the only way to go! I can post a question and in minutes have responses from people all over the world with their own opinions, and draw from that to make my own conclusion.. vs, reading a book.. with 1 opinion.. and no alternatives, its priceless.

mac
10-22-2009, 07:01 AM
For me, my faith in humanity was restored. That there are fish keepers who like love and adore their fish. And other people fish's well fare.

mac

Ocellatus
10-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, besides everything about fish keeping, I learned English! :hmm3grin2orange:

Neon
10-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I learned a lot ! too many things to list ....

Twe3k
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
i learned quicky what thought was just a simple tank and a few fishes to lighting up the living room can turn in to a few dozen fishes and MTS:):22:

Deleted User
10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
It's good to see and hear how much members have been helped by the AC! I also don't know what I would do (or how my fish would be) if not for some of the knowledge I've gained from members here.

I started posting on AC when I had a single 10 gallon tank that my wife brought home.. 2 dwarf gouramis and some zebra danios... I have asked probably hundreds of questions here on AC, too many to list, and I'd have to say.. aside from the few "parrots" and a few people who'd rather smear your name as a fish keeper than give advice, I have gained a huge amount of knowledge. IMO forums like this, for hobbys like this, are the only way to go! I can post a question and in minutes have responses from people all over the world with their own opinions, and draw from that to make my own conclusion.. vs, reading a book.. with 1 opinion.. and no alternatives, its priceless.

This is exactly how I feel, but said much better than I was able to! :19:

Little Embers
10-24-2009, 03:33 AM
How to annoy or offend other members unintentionally with a simple comment. :14:

William
10-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Thats a natural gift, not something you learn:14:

Little Embers
10-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Thats a natural gift, not something you learn:14:
I was going to put this :smack:

but will just say instead...very witty William, that's funny! :rofl:

Pele
10-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I learned that fish keeping was to be taken seriously. Before i came here, my brothers and i shared a 10galloner with a goldfish, a neon, and a cherry barb! Since i came here, i have realized that what i did was very, very wrong...