PDA

View Full Version : Otocinclus mortality...

Sarkazmo
10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Bought three Otos for the community tank, one wouldn't hang out with the other two and it died shortly there after.

Fast forward about a month and a half...

Bought six Otos, four for my Red Cherry Shrimp tank and two to go with the other two in the Community tank. Four and four seemed good plus the LFS didn't have any more Otos.

RCS tank is down to two Otos now. Community has Three or is down to two, not quite sure as that tank's really planted.

Water parameters are fine, temp is around 80F. Very low Kh and GH with a PH of about 7.7ish. I've fed normally for the other fish/shrimp and give the RCS Otos a Hikari Algae Wafer every other day to supplement their diet.

Am I doing something wrong or am I getting weak fish?

Sark

Neon
10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I have otos as well , please read here , it's really great: www.otocinclus.com

mine don't eat their wafers , the platies do. but they are still alive and kicking

ps you should request your awards as you have more than 450 post.

Northernguy
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Its difficult to always buy healthy fish.
It may have been something internal like parasites.Its hard to treat something you cannot see.
I think you may have just got a few sick ones.
Try another lfs if you are concerned.Also sit and watch the fish you are interested in.Go back a few days later and see if they are still looking healthy.
It works for me.Thats the way I buy fish now.
You can also prepay for them but leave them in the store and go back a few days later.If they die in the store its not your fault.

sheamurai
10-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Hmmm, never heard of prepaying for fish. Will keep that in mind...
Sorry about your otos, can't help you there as I have 13 now and they're fat and happy. Stupid thought maybe but perhaps there is not enough algae for the numbers of them? Mine won't touch wafers. And if there is only algae enough to support a couple maybe thats why the rest are dying off?...maybe a stupid thought but just throwing something out there to try and help...

Red
10-22-2009, 02:43 AM
How do you acclimate?

Sarkazmo
10-22-2009, 03:14 AM
How do you acclimate?

After floating for about 15min or so I have a small plastic tank that I put the fish and water from the LFS in. I then add water from the main tank to the acclimation tank at about a cup at a time every few minutes taking about an hour or so to complete acclimation. They're then netted and released into the tank. I'm going to start drip acclimating soon to make it consistent and more gentle.

Stupid thought maybe but perhaps there is not enough algae for the numbers of them? Mine won't touch wafers. And if there is only algae enough to support a couple maybe thats why the rest are dying off?...maybe a stupid thought but just throwing something out there to try and help...

Definitely not a stupid thought! Tomorrow I'm going to go out and get a cucumber and see if they'll munch it.

These two tanks get 15hrs a day light. The timer is set for 5hrs on then 3hrs off. I was over grown with algae before the Otos and using a different amount of light (time.) The short photo periods, even though it's a lot of light per day, keep the algae from growing out of control. Dosing daily with Flourish Excel, weekly with Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Trace in all tanks.

Algae still grows in the tanks though and the Otos are great at keeping it in check. They still may not be getting enough to eat though. :( So my lights are on full time right now to get a little extra algae. Imagine having to make conditions FAVORABLE for algae! hehehehe.

I think what I may do is use a shallow tub with medium size river stones as an algae farm with 24hr light. I can then put the stones in the tanks when they're covered with algae and just swap out the stones as the Otos munch it up. We'll see.

Sark

Sarkazmo
10-22-2009, 03:42 AM
I'm going to start drip acclimating soon to make it consistent and more gentle.

Well I spent a few minutes and made a drip acclimation rig from some extra rigid tubing, spare flexible airline tubing, and an in-line plastic air valve.

Bent the rigid tubing by carefully heating with a lighter to make it pliable then forming a U-Tube that would fit snugly over the rim of my tank. Then I added a short length of flexible tubing, the valve, and then the rest of the flexible airline that'll deliver the drips to the holding/acclimation tank. Tested it and it works great! Easy to make and cheap too!

Sark

MonkeyPox
10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Ottos are notorious for over-breeding. That makes many strains difficult to keep at length in an aquarium. A lot of people also underestimate how much these little guys can consume, and they end up starving.

Scrup
10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I have also read in a few places that oto's have a very low survival rate, but the ones that live will be troopers...personally I bought 8 and lost 3, the other 5 are fat and happy, soon to try some more. Apparently if they make it through the first month, they will last.

make sure they have fat bellies in the pet store, if not they need some TLC and lots of food.

sheamurai
10-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Hey, like your algae farm idea...if my tanks ever get algae deprived I'm going to try that!
Somehow I don't think I'll have to worry tho - my house has lots of natural light - I'm a windows gal!

thrakuarium
10-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Healthy Otos are a bit harder to get a hold of than some fish. Generally if your LFS had just gotten a shipment in ... don't buy any until they have had them for a week at least. Then I would always overacclimate the fish compared to acclimation time of other fish. When you do release them into your tank leave the lights off a minimum of 2 hours. They take longer to adjust to the new "home". I agree on their ability to eat. Keep some zucchini or cucumber on hand for em to munch thumbs2: