PDA

View Full Version : Rasboras and bigger fish

Garrett
10-21-2009, 04:44 AM
So I've got the 55 I'm setting up on Thursday and I was looking for another small fish like a neon that I could have a shoal of. I saw these guys at the LFS and I was intrigued, however, I know they're generally very small, and the good old rule of thumb is if a fish is small enough to fit in a bigger fish's mouth, it's going in. Do people think they'd go well with largish dwarf gouramis or Bolivian rams? I'm iffy on it, but I did like how they looked.

Lab_Rat
10-21-2009, 05:03 AM
They'd be fine with a dwarf gourami or with rams. No way a rasbora is going to fit into the mouth of either species, unless you're talking about the microrasbora species.

Garrett
10-21-2009, 05:22 AM
They may well have been micros, they struck me as a little smaller than neons. Could've been mislabled.

Lab_Rat
10-21-2009, 05:33 AM
The most common rasboras you'll see are the harlequin rasboras or scissortails, and either would be fine with the gouramis and the rams.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cyprinids/images/HarlequinRasbora3WFCy_Ap12.jpg

That's a Harlequin rasbora. I've never seen any of the microrasbora at any of my LFS, only online.

Garrett
10-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Yeah, that looks like the right fish. Excellent. I like small fish in general and these guys seem like a low-bioload way to add another variety of fish to the tank down the road when it's established and running for awhile.

Lab_Rat
10-21-2009, 05:41 AM
They're cool little fish. Never kept them myself, but everyone who I know that has loves them.

Sharon
10-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I love Harlies! They're a great addition to any tank...thumbs2:

rich311k
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I love them as well. Great fish, they will do just fine with your other fish.

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I had a group of red tail rasbora and they were very neat in a group. Their body is a greenish yellow and they have a red tail. (No Kidding!)

sheamurai
10-22-2009, 02:10 AM
I love my gang of rasboras! The ones you saw at the fs may have been still babies? - mine are better than an inch long now...

Garrett
10-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Well, I'm not sure if they're above or under an inch, I do think they were smaller than your average neon. They well could've been youngins, though.

It's going to be awhile before I add them to the tank, though, so plenty of time to perhaps find somewhat older specimens.

Northernguy
10-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Get them when they are juvies or almost an inch.They will be around longer!
They are colorful little fish.