PDA

View Full Version : My Beloved Oscar Died

TehTANK
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Well everyone.... It's true. Bubba, my beloved oscar has passed. He got a bacteria or parasite last week. I am not sure if anyone remembers my other post about Melafix and Pimafix thread I posted. I treated Bubba and Lucky last week. Their scales were getting eaten away. I thought they had hole in the head to start with. I guess that wasn't it. This morning I woke up and Bubba was on his side. I watched him take his last breaths of air and that was it. Lucky is still swimming around a little. Spends a lot of time laying around though. Lucky was the only one eating. I am not sure what I am going to do. When I pulled Bubba out this morning he was all slimy. I mean really slimy. I had Bubba for 2 years and was my pride and joy. I am thinking about returning my Other oscar Lucky and my Cory catfish for credit. I know I want to start over. My Questions:
1) What should I do to the tank? Should I take everything out and scrub it with a bleach solution to kill everything and scrub the tank and then recycle and start again?
2) I think I am done with oscars...I love them but I might try something else. What does everyone think would be best. I want a hardy fish that is good for a 90 Gallon.

THanks everyone in advance to your responces. THis is a hard time for me because my Bubba fish was my prize fish, my pet, one of the family. Today is a hard day.

-Frank

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh Teh, I am so sorry about your fish dying. This is a sad Easter morning for you, I know.

How large are your water changes and how often and of course the question we will all ask, what are the water parmeters? I do know that Oscars need large water changes and often but afraid I don't know much more about them. They could have had internal parasites, as well. Sometimes too much meat in their diets can be not a good thing for this reason.

Sorry for your loss.

TehTANK
04-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Oh Teh, I am so sorry about your fish dying. This is a sad Easter morning for you, I know.

How large are your water changes and how often and of course the question we will all ask, what are the water parmeters? I do know that Oscars need large water changes and often but afraid I don't know much more about them. They could have had internal parasites, as well. Sometimes too much meat in their diets can be not a good thing for this reason.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks Hobbs. I just knew you would be the first one to respond. I was just waiting for your words of comfort. Today is a sad Easter.
My water changes are usually 50% or so. I clean my tank religously once a week. My water parameters are the same as they have always been. 0 Nitrates 0 Ammona, and 7 PH. My PH has always been high and my fish have never had a problem with it. I have a feeling it was mostly internal but the scales being eaten away and white patches (of body) were showing all over. I felt so bad for him and went out and bought my medicine even though we have no money my wife understood. Anyway, Thanks hobbs. You have made me feel better this morning. I knew you could and would.

Frank

sergo
04-08-2007, 04:28 PM
sorry to hear that. i hope things turn around for ya'

Rue
04-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear your Oscar died...

...but I don't see how you can return the other fish to the store if they might be diseased.

TehTANK
04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear your Oscar died...

...but I don't see how you can return the other fish to the store if they might be diseased.

MY other Oscar Lucky is doing alright. He has some small spots on him. I am sure if I explain things to my LFS that I go to, they will take him back. They are pretty good about that.

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I knew your water changes and parms would be perfect. You love your fish too well for them not to be but I just tossed the question out there as I knew it would be asked.

I think we expect our pets to live forever even with the best of care but unfortunately, stuff does happen and sometimes they die for unexplained reasons. Even since you posted I was reading about Oscars and it states that feeding them live goldfish can introduce parasites. I wasn't aware of this either. I guess the same thing could be said about earth worms then. I don't know if you fed either to your Oscar but just tossed this info out there.

I would treat your remaining fish for internal parasites just in case, tho. Perhaps some medicated fish food would also help.

Losing your beloved Oscar brought a few cuss words from Hobbs this morning that was no suited for Easter morning. I was no "Lady" Hobbs after reading your crummy news.

TehTANK
04-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I knew your water changes and parms would be perfect. You love your fish too well for them not to be but I just tossed the question out there as I knew it would be asked.

I think we expect our pets to live forever even with the best of care but unfortunately, stuff does happen and sometimes they die for unexplained reasons. Even since you posted I was reading about Oscars and it states that feeding them live goldfish can introduce parasites. I wasn't aware of this either. I guess the same thing could be said about earth worms then. I don't know if you fed either to your Oscar but just tossed this info out there.

I would treat your remaining fish for internal parasites just in case, tho. Perhaps some medicated fish food would also help.

Losing your beloved Oscar brought a few cuss words from Hobbs this morning that was no suited for Easter morning. I was no "Lady" Hobbs after reading your crummy news.

Thanks Hobbs. I too said some words this morning that were not suited for Easter. Thank you for sharing this with me though and caring so much. You are the best Hobbs. Yes my levels were good. I don't feed my fish anything but NLS and frozen bloodworms. That is the only thing I can think that would give them a something. Couple weeks ago I dropped in one frozen cube of bloodworms for each fish but Bubba got both of them. I didn't think anything of it because he was a big fish and should be fine. It is giving me second thoughts now though. I am pretty sure that could be it but I don't know. What do you guys think?

Abbeys_Mom
04-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry Bubba didn't make it.

TracyUK
04-08-2007, 05:07 PM
RIP Bubba :-(

Sorry to hear of your loss.

2manyfish
04-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss!! What a horrible thing to wake up to!

Even though I know you want to start all over, don't do anything rash. You might decide that you want to keep Lucky after all. If it was me, I would try something like coppersafe....excessive slime on a fish is an indication of external parasites. You will probably have to remove the cory, but he should be taken out regardless because of the chance he may be eaten by the oscar anyway.
As far as bloodworms go, well I hope they were thawed out first? Not good for them to have still frozen foods....

Sorry again to hear about Bubba!

gm72
04-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I hate when something happens to my babies. (6 cats, 2 dogs, 7 aquariums and a 4 year old daughter--yes, it's a zoo). Sorry to hear of your loss, bad news indeed.

crackatinny
04-09-2007, 02:07 AM
So sorry to hear that tehtank, I was only wondering yesterday how he was going, and was going to get onto you to ask.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 02:15 AM
sorry to hear that

TehTANK
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and wishes. It has been a rough weekend. I really miss my little guy. Every time I look at the tank I am still searching for Bubba but again I know he is in a better place and not sick anymore. Thanks again everyone.

Juannie
04-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, I was devastated when my synspilum died a couple of weeks ago, all I did was "cuss" and cry for days - and it's horrible when you have no reason why. I'd had her for 2.5 years and she was beautiful.

I think it's good to keep those that you have and still look at them everyday and get enjoyment from them, they might help makes things easier and still bring a smile to your face.

GOOD LUCK!