PDA

View Full Version : Help! Algae.....

pazbich3
10-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Well my planted tank has finally decided to grow some algae...seems like ever since I transplanted my vals into the tank (which already had a little algae) It's starting to grow on a few of my plants. And this is green algae btw.
Tank is a 20gal high, 2.4wpg light. I am also dosing with Excel. I was also using the API liquid fert but have stopped that. The tank has a 12 neon tetras, Krib pair, about about 2 dozen babies (5-6wks old), and 3 assassin snails. I'm slowing trying to take the babies out and put into my other tank, since I know technically the tank is overstocked.

Any help in resolving the green algae? I do also have the API algae fix, but prefer to solve this "naturally". Come to think of it, maybe I should back off the lighting? It is currently on for about 12 hours a day....Any other suggestions?

Lab_Rat
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Drop the lighting time to 8 hours per day.

Neon
10-20-2009, 03:22 PM
use otocinclus :www.otocinclus.comthumbs2:

sandypants
10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree with the above suggestions- check your lighting- how old is your bulb? When I got a NEW bulb this helped solve the algae issue some... the rest is gone thanks to my three power-house Molly Maid crew of Oto Cats! They are GREAT at algae, I was shocked at how much these little guys can do. Within a week my tank went from nasty slimy green-brown plants, gravel, dec to the sparkly clean!:cheerleaderkid:

sandypants
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Also make sure these little guys will have enough to eat AFTER the algae prob. is under control. I even opened my shade a bit today before leaving for work with the thought of having some algae GROW for them to make sure they have food!!!:l19:

pazbich3
10-20-2009, 04:43 PM
The lighting setup is brand new. Has a 24w 10,000k bulb and a 24w 6700k bulb.

And I've never had much luck with the Oto cats. Never had them in this tank so maybe it's worth a shot one more time. Just seems like it would be really overcrowding the tank.

I"m definitely going to shorten the lighting per day. Will cut back to 8hrs and see what happens for a week or two.

Mith
10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree...cut back the lights. I was leaving my lights on about 12-14 hours, started getting diatoms (sp?). Shut the lights down considerably and that really helped.

The Otts are excellent if you can get them to live. Out of 5, I now have 2, but they seem fine (knock on wood). My otts cleaned up my plants almost immediately! I don't clean the side glass or rear glass so there's always algae for them. I want to also give them zuccini (which they love) but I keep forgetting.

I was using liquid ferts, but it seemed to promote algae growth so I stopped. Then I just recently started using it again because my rootless plants stopped doing so well. Now I use fert tabs AND liquid ferts.

Good luck!

pazbich3
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree...cut back the lights. I was leaving my lights on about 12-14 hours, started getting diatoms (sp?). Shut the lights down considerably and that really helped.

The Otts are excellent if you can get them to live. Out of 5, I now have 2, but they seem fine (knock on wood). My otts cleaned up my plants almost immediately! I don't clean the side glass or rear glass so there's always algae for them. I want to also give them zuccini (which they love) but I keep forgetting.

I was using liquid ferts, but it seemed to promote algae growth so I stopped. Then I just recently started using it again because my rootless plants stopped doing so well. Now I use fert tabs AND liquid ferts.

Good luck!

Backed off lights to about 8.5-9 hours per day. I am also going to use the little legs that came with the light fixture to raise it off the glasss hood a good 3-4"...I also stopped using liquid ferts, just root tabs, so I'll have to keep an eye on the plants. I'm sure there is more than enough nitrates for the plants to use.

And I hear ya on the Ottos...it's kinda hit or miss. My assassin snails really don't touch the algae, and there are only 3 small ones. I DO have a mystery snail in my 5.5gal which actaully keeps that tank PRISTINE!!! hmmmm

I also forgot to mention when I did a water change this past weekend, there was a lot of (not sure how to explain this) thick whiteish/clear slime floating on the surface of the water. Amost reminded me of a mucus of some sort (sorry for that analogy) lol...Any idea what this may be?? I was able to scoop most of it up in my net and dispose of it.

Mith
10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Backed off lights to about 8.5-9 hours per day. I am also going to use the little legs that came with the light fixture to raise it off the glasss hood a good 3-4"...I also stopped using liquid ferts, just root tabs, so I'll have to keep an eye on the plants. I'm sure there is more than enough nitrates for the plants to use.

And I hear ya on the Ottos...it's kinda hit or miss. My assassin snails really don't touch the algae, and there are only 3 small ones. I DO have a mystery snail in my 5.5gal which actaully keeps that tank PRISTINE!!! hmmmm

I also forgot to mention when I did a water change this past weekend, there was a lot of (not sure how to explain this) thick whiteish/clear slime floating on the surface of the water. Amost reminded me of a mucus of some sort (sorry for that analogy) lol...Any idea what this may be?? I was able to scoop most of it up in my net and dispose of it.

I'm just going to have to invest in a light timer. I work 10 hour days... add travel time etc, its just too much time!

So far my remaining ottos are doing well (knock on wood).

I recently started back with liquid ferts because my rootless plants weren't all doing well. I still use the root tabs though!

domjd05
10-22-2009, 02:12 AM
How heavy were you dosing the ferts, and how long ago did you stop? Also, lowering the water level, to create more current from your filter return will increase tank circulation, thus helping to cut down on algae. I did this once during a big outbreak and it completely killed off the algae and allowed my plants to outsource it.

pazbich3
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Good ideas! I forgot about lowering the water level as I have mine pretty high and not much circulation on the one side. Add in that the extreme light is right up against it = algae growth!

I stoped dosing the liquid ferts about 2 weeks ago, and everything still seems to be growing like weeds. It's just the API plant stuff, and I used the recommended amount. I still dose with excel (recommended amt as well).

Thanks for the input ya'll!

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Is sunlight hitting your tank? Green algae is common in tanks that direct outside light hits.

You may have a problem with Vals and Excel. Vals seem to be one of the plants that Excel kills.

pazbich3
10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
No direct sunlight. Windows are across the room with closed blinds on the. I'm sure the 48watts of light about an inch away from the water did not help either.

I've read that with vals and excel, however so far they are doing pretty well after 3-4 weeks (mine are the italian variety if that matters) I will have to actaully start trimming them a bit shorter next time I do a water change!