PDA

View Full Version : Merely Curiosity, I Don't Plan To Try This

VoidParadigm
10-19-2009, 09:54 PM
If 10 cherry shrimp can be kept per gallon, why can 1 cherry shrimp not be kept in a 0.10g jar?

Ignore things like how would the "tank" be kept warm, filtered, etc while giving an answer, please. Just consider the "space issue."

Rue
10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Well....YOU could live your life in an elevator...or a closet...

...but would you want to?

robflanker
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
in a 0.1g it probably can't move around much. even if it had 10 tank mates in a 1g, at least it could move around.

VoidParadigm
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
lol, true, but still. 10 cherries in a 1 gallon gives the same amount of space per cherry as 0.10g for one, does it not?

Edit: Ah. Rob's post makes sense of the previous.

Rue
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
LOL...thanks Rob...

...there go my assumptions that I'm clear as day...:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
10-19-2009, 10:05 PM
No...the shrimp might share space, but each has more room to move.

Not to mention a smaller space does get dirty quicker...

VoidParadigm
10-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Eh, thought it over and decided to use an analogy. It would be like a betta being able to live in a cup but really needing 2.5, yes?

robflanker
10-20-2009, 12:40 AM
No.... you need at least a 10g for 6 neons... but that doesnt mean you could put a single neon in a 1.5g

VoidParadigm
10-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Very well.

HomaridNoob6
10-20-2009, 02:22 AM
honestly a better question is who would want a .10 gal aquarium?

so i basically just had to post a smart*** comment because I couldn't give you a better answer than you've already got. It actually is a real question though, can you think of a reason someone would want a tank that small? I agree with everyone else, space to move around would be the issue.

Edit: thought of a reason, so you can have uber MTS, I have 2,000 aquariums in my home ranging from .1 all the way up to 1.25 gallons! I still do my WC's with a 5 gal bucket.

VoidParadigm
10-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Love it!!! When I was at the LFS yesterday he had a small, I mean maybe .5 gal SW reef setup on the desk. Had a couple of shrimp and one small fish. It was the cutest setup I had seen.

That's what got me curious.

Full thread here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=52820

HomaridNoob6
10-20-2009, 02:31 AM
That explains a lot! I stumbled onto that other thread just after reading this one, makes much more sense now.

bluebluecow
10-20-2009, 02:36 AM
not sure how big it is but dont sea monkey tanks tend to be that small, i have one on the kitchen window, was my sons birthday present in june, now that there is enough algie for them to live on and all i have to do is top up with water . The ones in there are some of orig and a coupple of new ones, evry so often we have a flux of babys but population settles to abou 5 or 6 of them.

Iiz

Lilium
10-20-2009, 02:51 AM
In the sense of bioload, 1 shrimp in .1 gallons would be the same as 10 shrimp in 1 gallon. The level of waste output and volume increase at a constant ratio.
(1 shrimp per .1 gallons).

This takes out other factors that cannot be controlled (such as dust or other debris falling in, which I think depends on surface area) which I think is probably minimal.

In terms of space, technically the shrimp would have the same amount ratio (assuming the size of the bottom increases at the same ratio as gallons and shrimp, or shrimp can occupy indefinitely a space in the middle of the water.)
But there is more area in any given direction that the shrimp can move.

Here is a diagram.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9646/diagramw.jpg

In block A, 1 shrimp can occupy 9 other blocks at any given time.

In block B, 1 shrimp can occupy 90 other blocks at any given time.
Thus it's less cramped, and the shrimp are most likely not going to be equally spaced out at any given time.

The spacing increase truely isn't as drastic unless you can increase the livable space by other means such as plants or anything the shrimp can climb on. In which case vertical space can also increase spacing.

Uh... I think I confused myself on some of that...

Note: This assumes that my knowledge of things like volume and waste output are correct, and something that I can't find the word for. x-x

Sea monkey tanks are small because one, they are really small and have little output, and two, that makes them attractive because you can put them darn near everywhere taking only little space.

They could live in a giant tank assuming they can find food.

Rue
10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Eh, thought it over and decided to use an analogy. It would be like a betta being able to live in a cup but really needing 2.5, yes?

You got it! thumbs2:

Mustang Boy
10-21-2009, 08:02 PM
i think if you could find somthing larger to use somthing closer to a half gallon i think this would really work and with a tank of around a half gallon you could even have a couple small plants to go along with 2 maybe 3 cherry shrimp and i think that would really compliment your clam rock thing you have

VoidParadigm
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Thank ye for the suggestion, Mustang. However, Clam Adia is quite happy by herself for the moment. =]