PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Questions

tori.lock
10-18-2009, 07:00 AM
So I've finally gotten some new funds to come in and I'm thinking about getting my betta out of his jail cell home. I'm looking for a basic, relatively cheap 3 gallon or so kit so that I don't have to go out and buy all the pieces. He's been doing very well, even in his small area, but I knew he needs more space. I was curious if any of you could recommend a kit that you've had good results with, or heard of good results with. Ideally, I don't want to be spending much more than $50 for it.

He already has two small anubias plants, which I was going to attach to a small piece of driftwood I find on the beach, and I was considering getting some pygmy cories. I'm a little concerned if he'll be aggressive towards him, but I'm thinking if I introduce them to the new tank first and keep him in his current one while they acclimate, then add him, problems may be averted. Before I do this I'm going to ask whatever store I go get them at (regrettably probably the nearby Petsmart since there aren't any fish stores too close and I don't have my own car) about their return policy. So now I'll ask if I can comfortably house Moose and a few pygmies, probably around five. I love the albinos, but I wouldn't have room enough in that small tank for a shoal. (Sadly, Petsmart has them marked as 1g fish.)

Anyways, I need input on a good kit and if a few pygmy cories would be suitable.

Deleted User
10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I have 2 male bettas in separate 2.5g mini bows that come with a filter (we added hydor heaters). They cost about $35 (Big Als) and are just the right size for where we wanted them. However, I think the 5g version of the same thing is only around $50 so within your budget for the project! Your boy will love having more space and accommodations http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/yes.gif

rich311k
10-18-2009, 01:33 PM
My complete 10 gallon kits were less than 50.00. You just need to add gravel.

Padams
10-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Agreed my 10g was <$50 as well. I have seen them for $20 ish on craigslist as well.

sheamurai
10-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I've read elsewhere that Walmart has some cheap 5gal kits for sale right now...

tori.lock
10-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm just worried I wont have the room for a 5+ sized tank. I live in a dorm, and space is very precious. Where his tank is now is probably where I'd want to keep it and it's a pretty small area. I think I'll go into Petsmart and Walmart and see what they have.

tori.lock
10-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I was just skimming amazon and found a used Eclipse 3g system for $30 and free shipping, so I went with that. All the reviews I'd read on it sounded pretty good, so hopefully this was a smart purchase. I also got a mini heater with it for $10, which just leaves substrate I'll get from Petsmart, and some free driftwood I can pick up off the beach. Depending I might get some more plants for the aquarium, but Moose should be pretty happy with his new home.

Got any ideas on other tank decorations for betta?

Padams
10-18-2009, 10:35 PM
I would think $30 would be a little high for a USED 3g. It's your $$ though and with limited space it may be all you can use. The footprint of my walmart 10g is 10" x 21 1/4". Best o luck

Mr.Bluegill
10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
go to wal-mart and by a 5g goldfish tank no heater needed, i had a betta live for 5 years in 1g goldfish bowl, just fed him betta food

tori.lock
10-19-2009, 03:20 AM
It was extremely lightly used, and through amazon. I'd rather go through a trusty site than something like craigslist. Not to mention since I don't have a car I can't just go pick it up locally, I have to have it shipped and all the used ones were only a bit cheaper, but with $10 shipping.

I would think $30 would be a little high for a USED 3g. It's your $$ though and with limited space it may be all you can use. The footprint of my walmart 10g is 10" x 21 1/4". Best o luck

HeatherB
10-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Good luck with your bigger tank!

I wouldn't do the 5 pygmy cories if I were you, the 5 cories and the betta would be 6 fish in a three gallon. Unless you do really great, regular water changes (which may be hard with school) it may be too many in that small tank.

You could always do some ghost shrimp (or other shrimps) or a snail.

tori.lock
10-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Right after posting that I realized it wouldn't work. I mean, I'm sure if I changed the tank enough I could get it to work, but it's silly to try to do. Plus I'm pretty sure Moose in on the more aggressive side, so there's no reason to tempt anything. Ghost shrimp are a tempting thought, but I think I'll stick with just him for now. If I'm feeling feisty down the road I'll go with shrimp.

Good luck with your bigger tank!

I wouldn't do the 5 pygmy cories if I were you, the 5 cories and the betta would be 6 fish in a three gallon. Unless you do really great, regular water changes (which may be hard with school) it may be too many in that small tank.

You could always do some ghost shrimp (or other shrimps) or a snail.

Lolita
10-19-2009, 07:33 PM
You should have plenty enough room for a 5 gallon. They don't take up much more room than a 3 gallon, but it's better for the fish. The bigger the footprint, the better. I recently got my best friend a 5 gallon kit that came with everything but the heater, and decorations for under $50 at walmart. I'm sure you can find them cheaper too. Your betta will thank you!

tori.lock
10-19-2009, 11:48 PM
I'd have sprung for the 5g, but it's not just space in the dorm as it's also transporting it during breaks between semesters. I can't leave it for a month, so I'll have to move it and it would be hard to deal with anything bigger than a 3g I think.

You should have plenty enough room for a 5 gallon. They don't take up much more room than a 3 gallon, but it's better for the fish. The bigger the footprint, the better. I recently got my best friend a 5 gallon kit that came with everything but the heater, and decorations for under $50 at walmart. I'm sure you can find them cheaper too. Your betta will thank you!

iceywind
10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I have the 3gal Eclipse tank in my dorm. It works prefect for my betta and my snail. He has plenty of room to swim. When I moved in all I did was empty a bit of the water and I was able to carry it in.

tori.lock
10-20-2009, 10:32 PM
That's what I'm hoping I can do. But I live a good 7 hour drive from the campus, so dealing with a big tank would be hard. I'll feel bad for the stress on the little bugger, but I think he should be fine. He made a city bus ride to my dorm without a hitch.

I have the 3gal Eclipse tank in my dorm. It works prefect for my betta and my snail. He has plenty of room to swim. When I moved in all I did was empty a bit of the water and I was able to carry it in.

HeatherB
10-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Ghost shrimp are not too bad. They dont really require any super special care. And they are SUPER CHEAP! like less than a quarter here. I had one betta that ate a few, but he left the majority of them alone. I like the snails too, they do a good job of cleaning the tank.

tori.lock
10-21-2009, 06:11 AM
I think I might want to try shrimp at some point, but I'm sure my betta would tear them apart. He's pretty aggressive, so I might get a snail.

iZinedane
10-21-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree with Lolita..why not go with a standard 5g? its not that bigger than a 3g and your fish will be happier :).

iceywind
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow 7 hours. I live 1 hour and 45 minutes away from my dorm. I just left him in the tank. I took out the decorations but left the gravel. He did just fine and was still perky when I arrived. I took out a bit of the water so it wouldn't splash as much too.

That's what I'm hoping I can do. But I live a good 7 hour drive from the campus, so dealing with a big tank would be hard. I'll feel bad for the stress on the little bugger, but I think he should be fine. He made a city bus ride to my dorm without a hitch.

tori.lock
10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Depending on the tank I'll probably do that, and just tuck him behind a front seat on the floor to hold the tank steady and keep it as dark as possible for him. Hopefully he should be fine. I've had him too long without a filter already, so I don't think 7 hours will do much damage.

Wow 7 hours. I live 1 hour and 45 minutes away from my dorm. I just left him in the tank. I took out the decorations but left the gravel. He did just fine and was still perky when I arrived. I took out a bit of the water so it wouldn't splash as much too.