PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Sick betta. :( may be Swim bladder disease

SkyBaby
10-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Michelangelo, my pretty little red vt, isn't doing so good. I came in to check on him today and he was floating and having some trouble going to the bottom of his tank. :( He's in a 3 gallon critter-keeper. I'm keeping the water warmed to 82. He gets 100% weekly water-changes. I just gave him one hoping that would perk him up. He seems active enough. I'm out of peas though, so I'm gonna go get some tomorrow and try that pea trick then. He's not bloated at all. Not even pineconing. It isn't dropsy. This is the first time I've ever delt with this. when I was doing his water change, I did notice a nice large poo at the bottom. That was a good sign. Any idea what's going on with him? What should I do to keep him comfortable while we try to diagnose him? Is there anything I can do until we know what's causing this? I hate feeling like there's nothing I can do for my babies when they're sick. :( I do fast regularly, one day a week then the next day feed one feeding of a pea. What happened??

Pele
10-18-2009, 04:51 AM
if you have a cartrage filter TURN IT OFF!! ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS A LITTLE SUCKING HOLE IN WICH YOUR BETTA CAN GET STUCK! My old betta died by getting stuck to it when he was conctipated.

HorrorShowRot
10-18-2009, 06:43 AM
If its swim bladder theres nothing you can really do for him. But I would just throw some medication in just to be on the safe side. How long have you had him what are the ph levels and I would keep it around 78-80 no higher. Also are there any other fish? And what kind of filter is there what are the ammonia levels

Sharon
10-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I've found that Bettas are particularly prone to this problem when they get older...I've tried everything, and nothing seems to work for long. I have found that freeze dried bloodworms are not good for Bettas. Try and keep him comfortable, as it's not painful for him...shallow water, little current, lots of plants to rest in...

SkyBaby
10-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I've found that Bettas are particularly prone to this problem when they get older...I've tried everything, and nothing seems to work for long. I have found that freeze dried bloodworms are not good for Bettas. Try and keep him comfortable, as it's not painful for him...shallow water, little current, lots of plants to rest in...

I have no idea how old my guy is. I just looked at him and he's doing wonderfully! All happy and active and no longer floating. He was looking pretty close to death last night, gasping for air and floating on one side. Now he's back to his old self. ^_^

if you have a cartrage filter TURN IT OFF!! ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS A LITTLE SUCKING HOLE IN WICH YOUR BETTA CAN GET STUCK! My old betta died by getting stuck to it when he was conctipated.

The tank is not filtered. It's just 3 gallons with 100% water changes. Looks like he managed to relieve himself. I just looked at him and he's back to his old self. I walked in and he started flaring at me. ^_^ Thanks for the info though! I'll make sure the holes in my other tank aren't too big. I do have a filtered 12 gallon eclipse with my boy Artemis in there.

If its swim bladder theres nothing you can really do for him. But I would just throw some medication in just to be on the safe side. How long have you had him what are the ph levels and I would keep it around 78-80 no higher. Also are there any other fish? And what kind of filter is there what are the ammonia levels

The tank is an unfiltered 3 gallon that receives 100% water changes every 6-7 days. He's the only inhabitant of that tank. I just looked at him and he's doing great! ^_^ Back to his old self and flaring like mad at me. ^_^