PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Bichir and Jardini?

Bennlfer
10-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey guys, i really want an ornate bichir super bad. I currently have a 6 to 7 inch Jardini, a 3.5 inch pleco, and another 4.5 to 5 inch pleco in a 55 gallon, soon to be 180 in about 2 to 4 weeks. If i got the bichir at like 6 inches, do you guys think my Jardini will kill it? I recently added the second pleco (the bigger one) to my tank about 2 days ago (sort of baby-sitting it for my cousin) and he got a little scared of it at first, but is comfortable with it now, no fights or anything. So if he doesn't attack the pleco, what do you think the chances of him attacking the bichir are? The bichir will be almost his size hopefully, i can usually find a pretty good sized one for 20 bucks around here. Do you guys think i should wait until my upgrade? (Cause then i guess they will all have brand new territory and stuff) Any input is greatly appreciated. :ssmile:

Demjor19
10-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Jardinis normally become super aggressive around the 10-12 inch mark. It might work...might not though...

Bennlfer
10-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Yeah thats what i keep reading :scry: I guess ill give it a shot when i upgrade and if it doesnt work out, my 60 gallon will be open for the bichir to stay in for a while until he needs a bigger tank. I really want a bichir bad so i wouldnt mind leaving my current tank set up for him to have along with maybe some other fish. I was thinking maybe a delhezi bichir would be better if this happens though, since they only get to about a foot long, if im not mistaken.

Crispy
10-18-2009, 09:26 AM
bichir will keep to the bottom while your jar will keep to the top. Should work, I see many aro tanks with bichirs.

Demjor19
10-18-2009, 02:17 PM
bichir will keep to the bottom while your jar will keep to the top. Should work, I see many aro tanks with bichirs.

Jardinis will hunt down and kill all/any tankmates! My friends Jar has even killed Plecos! Do not under estimate this fish!

...it may work, but don't count on it. At least you do have a back-up plan though.

cer
10-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe if you put in lots of hiding spots and keep a cloes eye on the bichir it should work.