PDA

View Full Version : Cherry shrimp foraging on water surface...

PUNISHER VETTE
10-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi. Haven't been around in a while, just been busy with work and the rest of my life's aspects.

So i woke up this morning and noticed a lot of my shrimp are foraging on the waters surface.

Didn't know if this is a sign of something bad or what.

I just hooked up my heater to the tank the other week. I've been slowly heating the tank up since it was about 65degrees F without one...

Other then that nothing much has changed.
The photo makes it look like the water is a little dirty but in fact the tank is doing great and is clean.
and as far as i can see there isn't even any film across the waters surface they might be interested in...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/tparkhi2/30%20gallon%20Tank/IMG_0096.jpg

Red
10-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Hows the O2 level? Maybe try throwing a airstone in there.

PUNISHER VETTE
10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Hows the O2 level? Maybe try throwing a airstone in there.

that's the only thing i can think of.

But i had an O2 problem when i first set up the tank and the shrimp just sat at the surface, these are actually foraging like they're just super hungry....even though there's food i put in there.

I've got a dual bio wheel filter on the tank making a lot of surface movement but...

I throw one in just to make sure.

Red
10-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I mean thats all of I could think of right now.. Keep us updated..

Lilium
10-17-2009, 05:04 PM
My shrimp have been doing that since forever, so I thought it was fairly normal. .-.

I have a handful at the top picking at the air, and the rest scattered in the tank. Maybe there's something there that we can't see that they're interested in?

Jacko
10-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Usually there are about 10 or so cherries that stay up near the surface in my tank, they look like they're just feasting on little somethings, I've got tons of floating plants and they love latching onto those, they don't stay up there for long but whenever one leaves another takes its place

I love shrimp, they're so amusing :22:

ugh, stupid internet, didn't get the picture until now :P
Yeah, that's exactly what mine do, my blue pearls do it too, I wouldn't worry

Sarkazmo
10-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I love 'em too! Mine are from top to bottom of the tank, everywhere. Lots of floating plants here too with the Dwarf Water Lettuce, Frogbit, Hornwort/Foxtail. They're on the surface snacking on invisible bits, on the filter sponges digging morsels out of the crannies, they're in the Java Moss, they're on the Anubias, they're cleaning every square inch of the sand bottom, they're riding the snails around cleaning their shells even!

Shrimp are simply one of the most entertaining critters to watch. We play spot the gravid females and try to find the smallest shrimp. The latter being the hardest game, heh

Sark

Algenco
10-17-2009, 07:33 PM
fairly common unless they are all doing it I wouldn't worry.
Glad to see you back:22:

Taurus
10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Do they feed on bio film? Not so in your case Vette.