PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it was not a good idea to try to feed a large frog to redtail cat

hybridguy
10-17-2009, 01:51 AM
I attempted to feed the rather large bullfrog to the redtail and as soon as he tried to eat it he spit it back out and dove into the sand rubbing his body on his rocks and sand.I wonder if the frog has some kind of protection where when a predator tries to eat it,it has some sort of venom.:scry:

Algenco
10-17-2009, 01:52 AM
not if it was a bullfrog

hybridguy
10-17-2009, 01:55 AM
not if it was a bullfrog

And where were you earlier? So why is that?

tori.lock
10-17-2009, 02:17 AM
The frog could have struggled and kicked or bit him. Just a wild guess, but I can't imagine swallowing something with that large of legs and that strong of muscles for those legs to feel very good.

VoidParadigm
10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I would have killed or at least stunned it first. Less chance of injury. Apologies if you're the guy from the other thread about frogs.. I didn't mention that there.

smaug
10-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Common bullfrogs ,green frogs,leopard frogs and the like do not have any toxins at all.They are eaten with great relish by all fw fish.I do believe your red tail is a big wussy:shappy:There would be no need to stun it or anything,the frog is defenseless with no claws or teeth to do any damage to such a brutish fish as a redtail.

VoidParadigm
10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Personal preference, really, the stunning thing is. Just thought I'd throw it out there since the redtail, as you said, seems to be wussy anyways. :lol:

How big is the redtail in comparison to the frog? What has it been eating before?

smaug
10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
My angelfish reacted poorly to its first throat full of kicking criket,it got over it quick though.

hybridguy
10-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Well the frogs body was twice the size of the fish, he attacked hit hard about 3 times and gave up. That was yesterday and today he want even eat shrimp out of my hand. He acts like his jaw his hurt.:scry:

Algenco
10-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Well the frogs body was twice the size of the fish, he attacked hit hard about 3 times and gave up. That was yesterday and today he want even eat shrimp out of my hand. He acts like his jaw his hurt.:scry:

How did you expect it to eat something that large?

vegas2k
10-18-2009, 12:25 AM
How did you expect it to eat something that large?

yah..he's not a snake with a dislocating jaw! lol

smaug
10-18-2009, 12:48 AM
So,,,,,,,duh,That would be like me trying to eat an apple in one bite.What the h":># were you thinking?I thought you knew what you were doing or I would have advised sticking with Hikari pellets:22:

hybridguy
10-18-2009, 01:31 AM
So,,,,,,,duh,That would be like me trying to eat an apple in one bite.What the h":># were you thinking?I thought you knew what you were doing or I would have advised sticking with Hikari pellets:22:

No i dont no when it comes to these catfish. This is the first one i have had.I have seen them eat very large things on youtube and in the pet store that i worked at.I know that just because i saw it does not make it right, but i figured it would have been a really good meal.He has eaten a gold fish that was in the tank when i got him and the goldfish was much larger than his head.:ssuprised:

hybridguy
10-18-2009, 01:32 AM
yah..he's not a snake with a dislocating jaw! lol

I have seen them eat very large things, the frog was just alot stronger than i thought, thats ok in about 3 weeks that frog is dead!!!thumbs2:

domjd05
10-19-2009, 02:36 AM
My angelfish reacted poorly to its first throat full of kicking criket,it got over it quick though.

lol thats quite a meal for an angel smaug!