PDA

View Full Version : Fire shrimp death!

Cichlid_Man
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi,
ya'll have been helping me through a lot and things were perfect until a few minutes ago.
My Fire Shrimp was found dead suddenly. All water perameters are perfect and all other life is fine.
2 weeks after adding the Fire Shrimp I bought a cleaner shrimp. I never saw them fight or anything, but the Fire Shrimp sort of went into seclusion. Just minutes ago, the cleaner shrimp was all over his face eating at him, obviously dead. Do they not get along?
Did the LFS lie to me as they usually do?

saix88
10-17-2009, 01:12 PM
They get along. Fire are much more sensitive. *acclimate them slower* What do you mean by seclusion? Because fires hide most of the time and you rarely see them unless at night or feeding time.

Cichlid_Man
10-17-2009, 01:20 PM
They get along. Fire are much more sensitive. *acclimate them slower* What do you mean by seclusion? Because fires hide most of the time and you rarely see them unless at night or feeding time.

Well that's what I mean. Feeding time. He changed his spot from one rock to another when the cleaner took over his old spot, and when I would feed, the fire rarely came out. He used to "hunt" his food, then go back into hiding.
I also just found out that they need iodine?
I am new, so maybe that killed him. Would he have even lasted a month with no iodine??
Thanks for the input

saix88
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Your salt should be supplying most of these trace elements, so it's better to do small water changes frequently rather than large ones. Depending on what salt you go with depends on if you really need to add extra things.

If it died within a month and nothing is wrong in your tank then it's most likely acclimation. I think it's crazy, but fish and inverts can die 1-2 months after in the tank due to acclimation.

With any tank you can get crazy outcomes that nobody else has, so maybe your peppermint shrimp did kill it.

Cichlid_Man
10-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Your salt should be supplying most of these trace elements, so it's better to do small water changes frequently rather than large ones. Depending on what salt you go with depends on if you really need to add extra things.

If it died within a month and nothing is wrong in your tank then it's most likely acclimation. I think it's crazy, but fish and inverts can die 1-2 months after in the tank due to acclimation.

With any tank you can get crazy outcomes that nobody else has, so maybe your peppermint shrimp did kill it.

I guess I will never know what happened. I have a rather small setup at 29 gal, so I do 10% weekly changes and I use H2Ocean - it is supposed to have everything needed for your tank, although iodine is not listed on the contents....my corals are fine and all other living things are fine.
When I acclimated the shrimp, I waited 20 minutes before opening the bag.
Any other colorful suggestions I could add in there? Maybe a fish or 2 instead of something that hides all the time :-)

saix88
10-17-2009, 02:16 PM
What do you mean by opening the bag? After floating a bag you should always drip acclimate all of your fish and inverts. Drip acclimation is the safest way to acclimate fish to a tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157

I don't know what fish you have, but a pair of firefish, pair of cardinals, royal gramma, watchmen goby or any other small goby.

Cichlid_Man
10-17-2009, 02:31 PM
What do you mean by opening the bag? After floating a bag you should always drip acclimate all of your fish and inverts. Drip acclimation is the safest way to acclimate fish to a tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157

I don't know what fish you have, but a pair of firefish, pair of cardinals, royal gramma, watchmen goby or any other small goby.

What do you mean by drip acclimate? I would open the bag, and slowly let my water mix with the bag water for several more minutes, then set him free.

The only other fish I have are a pair of ocellaris clowns...
I will read that article you sent also.

saix88
10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
What do you mean by drip acclimate? I would open the bag, and slowly let my water mix with the bag water for several more minutes, then set him free.

The only other fish I have are a pair of ocellaris clowns...
I will read that article you sent also.

That's a very bad way to acclimate your fish. They are all sensitive and by putting a large mix in it's more like a shock to them. By dripping the water or even pouring small increments of water in very slowly helps because it eases their body in to your water condition.