PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare

labnjab
10-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Its our turn to get the sea hare that is circulating my local reef club. Hopefully it will eliminate all the remaining hair algae I have, and the gfo will keep the phosphates down enough so it doesn't come back. I think it will be good in our tank for a few weeks before going to the next person. I have koralia powerheads so there's no need of putting a screen over them. I also have some carbon on standby incase it gets starttled and releases its toxin.

I was wondering if there was anything I should look out for with it.

violet
10-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Found this link.. might help :) those are interesting things..

http://www.janetsreef.com/sea_hare.htm

Rue
10-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Cool! Let us know how it goes.

labnjab
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank you for the link. I'll be picking it up tonight after work. I'm thinking I should acclimate it for 2 or 3 hours. Hopefully I have enough food for it for a few weeks. I've got some growing in my sump too so I can supplement it for a few extra days if I run out before someone else wants him. I've been waiting for one of these guys for months, lol. I'll try and get some pictures of it once it settles in

violet
10-16-2009, 05:42 PM
That would be awesome, looking forward to it thumbs2:

labnjab
10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
So far the sea hare seems to be doing good, but hasn't been in a place I can take a picture of. Its been spending some time on the glass right near the top of the tank. I've read that this particular species of sea hare is partially photosynthetic and can live for several months of light alone if there is no hair algae. I'm hoping it will start eating the HA soon and come down off the glass

violet
10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Hay just for curiosity.. your in a group that passes the little guy around? How do you do that? I've heard a few people talk about groups and conventions and such... fish societies as I would think.. how the heck do you find things like that?

labnjab
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Its the New Hampshire reef club. I found out about it from someone I bought my first coral from. I think the best way to find out is a google search. If there's a fish club in your area they probably have a website.

We have a forum and monthly meetings, although I've never been to a meeting yet. Almost all of the live stock (fish and coral) in both reef tanks came from members of the reef club. Most of the livestock was free or bought really cheap.

violet
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I did do a bit of a search, there are clubs in houston which isn't all that far from here. I think I'll look more into it. I havent got the courage to do salt water yet but am still concidering it.

kaybee
10-19-2009, 09:36 PM
How large is the sea hare you acquired? When I worked at the SW LFS we had some fist-sized sea hares.

Amazon
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
il ove those guys. I bought a purple sea slug about a month ago and hes really cool.

violet
10-20-2009, 11:18 AM
The more I learn about salt water the more I want to do it. I'm just scared to mess it all up.. With Freshwater it's pretty easy, till you introduce plants and fish that like soft water lol.. I'm learning though :) I've just always kept ciclids till about a year ago. Sorry guys I'm blabbering lol... :D

labnjab
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
So far the hare is still on the glass, so much for it eating hair algae, lol. For some reason its preferring photosynthesis over real food

violet
10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
maybe it's all filled up on algea lol... you guys have been sharing it lol... I'm sure he'll do is job you just have to be patient :D

labnjab
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
I thought we lost him. I couldn't see it for 2 days. The when I went to clean the filter sock in the sump, it was in there and alive. So it much have crawled up the overflow and got sucked in. I put it back in the display and it was finally eating algae as of last night

violet
10-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Great to hear.. I'm glad the little guy is doing good and eating :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-24-2009, 02:25 AM
maybe it's all filled up on algea lol... Not a Sea Hare LOL They have an unbelievable appetite for algae. :)

violet
10-24-2009, 02:15 PM
LOL.... well that's good to know. i've never had a salt water tank before, I'm learning about it before I choose to do it. Would love to I'm just scared of killing everything in the tank.. I've learned alot since being here in AC just not enough to make me comfortable with salt yet lol

labnjab
10-31-2009, 12:32 AM
This one seems to prefer photosynthesis over eating Hair algae. I saw it eating HA for the 1st time last night, but now its back on the glass taking in the light. Hopefully it will like the algae better ones it starts to get bigger.

I also need to find a way to keep him out of my sump. I've found it in the filter sock 3 times already

kaybee
10-31-2009, 01:12 PM
The one's we had at the LFS use to do that all the time. We had to clean the filter socks each morning and about 2 or 3 times a week all three of them would be in the filter sock. Unharmed, but it was kind of unpleasant getting them out of there each time due to the size and feel of them.

labnjab
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Looks like we lost the sea hare. I haven't seen it in a few weeks and its not in my sump. Either it got eaten by something or died.