PDA

View Full Version : 225 FW community

Scrup
10-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Hey guys!

Alright, I have a 225 gallon tank (8'lx30"hx18"w, currently (just did some fish moving) housing 2x3" bala's (schooling fish I know but it was all the pet store had...they seem to be very active and not shy/skittish...more needed anyway?), 3 dojo loaches, 6 giant danios, a pleco, and a betta pair. right now, I have the smaller guys in a separate tank, treating them for severe nitrite poisoning (long story, totally my negligence, god do I feel bad about it....:scry: )

Smaller guys consist of 10 guppies (+4 fry), 4 mollies, 2 platties, 3 female bettas, 6 otto's and a sole surviving neon tetra. This weekend the numbers will all be an even 10 on the livebearers/tetra...goldfish were good in the tank for 2 months, then one day learned that little fish= food and it was a massacre..literally 1 day they ate half the small fish...:scry:

not my week for fish.

anyway...just looking for a little input on some ideas/thoughts I had.

1-I am wanting to make this a giant small fish sanctuary. I plan on adding some endlers as well as some cory's. I know the big fish eat little fish rule, I know it very very well now, so the bala's will be going as soon as they get to a...worrysome size..(sweety..we need another 200G tank :P) ...but anyone got any suggestions on any other additions?
I do have inverts in the tank (clams and trapdoor snails) so I am not looking for any larger/more aggressive loaches. the dojo's got all the pond snails but leave the trapdoors alone, even the recently born babies (MAN they grow fast) the substrate is a mix of 95% play sand with 5% crushed shells for the inverts, WHOLE lot of plants, and thus hiding spots, and has some nifty aspen driftwood if that plays into your considerations.

2-how many male bettas can you keep in an 8' long heavily planted tank? thinking I could safely do 2, probably 3, maybe 4 if I get crazy with it...most likely just do 2 though. Anyone have experience with this?

3-In the back of my mind I am a little worried about the numbers exploding...how much of a problem is this really, if I let them regulate themselves (the livebearers that is). I think between the danios and the other livebearers, topped off with the inevitable sterile hybridization, the numbers not getting silly too fast in my tank....but am I being unrealistic?

thanks in advance for any advice or ideas you may have!

jaysee
10-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I LOVE the idea of a massive tank full of small fish. All too often we get bigger tanks just to keep bigger fish.

Dojo loaches are cold water fish....

I would do 2 schools of corys, both 15 strong, 10 kuhli loaches (same general shape as dojos, smaller and invert safe), 2 schools of rainbows, cherry barbs, gold barbs, dwarf cichlids, 3 schools of tetras, .....

I think you can easily have two males and a bunch of female bettas in there, but I wouldn't mix in any gouramis.

Mith
10-16-2009, 06:09 AM
OMG that is SO going to be an awesome tank! I gave you your first neon to put into the tank! LOL

Neon
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Hello and welcome in AC !!! I'm looking forward to see pics of ur tank ! I will add another Neon....

i_am_511
10-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I want to add what he just said about the Kuhli loaches.I have 6 in a 75 gallon......I suggest you get more then 10......Might as well those things are active when they want to be. They will circle the tank in there own way like they have OCD........Yes OCD....... One of mines likes to cut a certain corner and i can call it out.....Whatever you get they are gonna enjoy it. How is it having clams? Ive thought about it

Jaster
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I love the idea of a huge tank and tons of little fish. thumbs2:
I would also suggest rummy nose tetras. They look great in a school.
As far as population control, pretty much everything will eat fry for a nice snack. I would put 1 or 2 hunters in there to help keep the fry down. I did something like this with my 80G community tank. I had a couple Angels in with neons, rummys, guppys, mollys, and zebra danios. I had fat Angels and it was rare to find a fry.
Good luck with whatever you do though! Post those pics!! thumbs2:

Scrup
10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Will def get some pics up this weekend.

With the pond filters and the debris from my recent..learning experience...with apple snails ( I learned they not only eat vegetation, which is what I was hoping for, to reduce all the pruning I have to do, but they eat in a very destructive manner...roots first on all the floating plants, and on the planted ones they crawled up about an inch from the bottom and ate through the stems. Looks like I hit one of my lily's with a pair of scissors.:sconfused: )

it is not the prettiest thing at the moment, but I like it and the plants look to be recovering..lol.

Dojo loaches..I love them, always have, and until a year ago had never even heard or seen they were coldwater fish. From what I understand keeping them in warmer water just increases the metabolism and decreases the lifespan...but I have seen them live for 8+ years in a tropical tank, so...I'll take my chances. Think I may have some babies in the near future, they looked to be doing the mating dance last night..thumbs2:

khuli loaches and dojo's compatible you think?

Was also hoping to get some rams, but not looking to spend $40 each (lfs price)

one more betta sounds good to me as well. (never knew they were jumpers btw..fish store had one they had to seperate, he kept jumping into other cups)

clams are very effective in the pond, but not a lot to look at. Benn successful in keeping them alive for 8 months now, indoors and outdoors, so its working out. The trick I use is during feeding time I put a few pinches of powdered food in a cup, add some water and pour it in. seems to do the trick, and I do believe the plants help quite a bit too.(most often they die of starvation...)

Scrup
10-16-2009, 04:18 PM
how could I have forgotten...also want to add some killifish

thatcichlidguy
10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Now all you need are some real fish for that tank:14: . Some south American dwarf cichlids would make an interesting addition as well as help keep the schoolers schooling.

bushwhacker
10-16-2009, 09:17 PM
i've never had an 8' tank but i know in a 55 two male bettas will track each other down and someones gonna die.. one male and a bunch of females would work

domjd05
10-17-2009, 03:03 AM
8' tank is pretty big for neons haha, but I agree that some SA dwarf cichlids would be really neat. But I always say SA cichlids are the way to go:14:

Scrup
10-17-2009, 06:54 AM
I appreciate the SA cichlid suggestion...maybe some..SOME of the friendlier versions...as it stands now I am about cichlid-ed out with my semi stable mbuna tank...it kind of resembles the cold war at this point..just waiting to see what species nukes first...

while I can see 2 male bettas hunting each other down in a 55G....this is a TAD bit bigger....:P going to try 2 of them possibly this weekend. worse comes to worse I have plenty of empty tanks I can make into a betta haven.

interesting thing I noticed...my male betta did not view the guppy fry as a threat or food...actually protected the area from anything else...almost as if defending his own...pretty neat...

jaysee
10-17-2009, 02:13 PM
The betta is getting into aquaculture - looking to the future thinking of how much better the fry will fill his stomach when they're a little bigger. Delayed gratification.

Garrett
10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I would imagine some of the SA dwarfs, like bolivian rams would be fine in something like that.

This is pretty much my dream for a tank, I can't get one that big until we buy a house. I'll be watching this thread for ideas closely. thumbs2:

Scrup
10-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Weel, went out friday and picked up 9 new neons (although one of them just croaked for no apparent reason....?) a few more guppies, mollies, platties, 4 sword tails,6 khuli's, 4 albino corries, and about 15 different live bearer fry (for next to no charge).

saw they were selling a few endlers, but I had failed to realize how incredibly small those guys are...not sure they would last too long with the giant danios running around (I know they can fit half a pea into their mouths, so an endler wont be much of a challenge...)

sucks cause they sure are pretty...

decided I am going to go with a wet/dry filter. Will procure the parts this week and hope to have it done by next sunday!

Hailey
10-19-2009, 06:23 AM
German blue rams, bolivian rams, electric blue rams, etc, are all friendly, great communtiy fish...look them up! They would be great in that tank, get a few of them in there!

Mith
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
How about 4-5 of these beauties! (poka dot loach)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7462/botiakubotai.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/botiakubotai.jpg/)

Scrup
10-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I think the polka dot loaches are a little chompy for my tank, read a few warnings about mixing them with large snails and small fish (both of which I have and like thumbs2: )

after I get the sump made next step will be to work on finding a place that sells the cichlids you guys have mentioned for a decent price. So far I have seen 1 krib for $16 and some german rams for $25 each. Also some other rams that were just a plain yellowish color for about $15.

would rams mix with kribs?

Scrup
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
unfortunately battling an ich outbreak as well as sulphur poisoning due to a few possible causes...hopefully all to be resolved by next week.

Lessons learned-

1-2" of sand substrate is fine, as long as rocks are not over the sand. black sand and bubbles=bad things...

2-if you have bio wheels, and they are not turning...its a bad thing.

so..4 neon tetras and 2 balloon mollies less...REALLY hoping that is all I lose. the ballloons were the original stock, and honestly it turns my stomach knowing its from my ignorance.......

originally I had added 250lb of sand to the tank, making about a 3 inch sand bed, not knowing the whole compacted sand septic thing....and took out about half of it....today while vac-ing, I accidentally dove into the sand and noticed lots of bubbles and lots of black sand. removed/vac'd all I could (keep in mind its a 200G tank and I drained it halfway cleaning the sand out...took about 3 hours) so I am fairly sure its clean for now. at the end of the hose there was a good 20lb of sand in the yard, so...now I know to do that much more often.

also the prolonged lower water level (not from the cleaning, but from the level being 6" below the top of tank to make room for the plants) is really catching up to me I think...pretty sure my bio wheels just lost the bio load as they were bone dry and I had a huge nitrite spike....

sorry..so..not much progress on additions...just venting here...and in the mean time looking at possibles...

oh guess there is progress....went by a new to me hardware store..sutherlands...they carry 8' (tank is 8'....currently lighted by 2 staggered 4' shop lights, because 4' shop lights are really 4.4'...and 4.4+4.4 does not =8 :scry: ) florescent light fixtures and..AND bulbs. only had 4100k bulbs...but did have a notice up, saying all spectrum's available on special order! the REAL kicker???? $5 a bulb, same price I pay for the 4' bulbs!

plus dirt cheap pvc joints and adapters.

prettymuch everything I didn't expect to find...

Scrup
10-21-2009, 07:37 AM
oh..and the giant danios are going to go.

either will see if I can swap them for a smaller danio, or put them in the Mbuna tank...

every male guppy and all the bettas have danio mouth sized holes in the fins....

(blush)

also...learned something else...

dojo loaches will sometimes sqeak when out of water...loud enough to make cats look at you like you have an open can of tuna in the net, and not the awesome fish that is the dojo.

Scrup
10-21-2009, 07:46 AM
and to make 3 tonight...considering moving my smaller pleco who is in the Mbuna tank into the big one, as even at night all I see him do is hide....

would move the syno as well but I dont know how well a 5" syno is with smaller fish...so don't wanna chance it. Just saddens me to never see them, except for glances...even at night.

Garrett
10-21-2009, 09:53 PM
What was the problem with your sand depth again? My 20 currently has about 2.5-3 inches and I was going to go for about the same depth in the 55 I'm setting up tomorrow. Toxic stuff building up underneath the sand? I thought deeper sand just created an anerobic layer for the purposes of nitrogen break down.

Mith
10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I think the polka dot loaches are a little chompy for my tank, read a few warnings about mixing them with large snails and small fish (both of which I have and like thumbs2: )

Noooooooooo! Can you point me in the direction where you got your info? I have a 50g community with neons and the tank's finally stable with nobody dying. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want poka dot loaches. BUT NOT if they're going to upset the balance of the tank!

Thanks, much appreciated!

domjd05
10-22-2009, 02:06 AM
What was the problem with your sand depth again? My 20 currently has about 2.5-3 inches and I was going to go for about the same depth in the 55 I'm setting up tomorrow. Toxic stuff building up underneath the sand? I thought deeper sand just created an anerobic layer for the purposes of nitrogen break down.

Pockets of poisonous gas can form I believe, the solution is to lightly stir your sand every few weeks or maybe even more frequently.. On my old 55 that I had up for about a year, the sand depth was about 3'', when I first started, I stirred the sand every week, after a few months, I stopped.. never encountered any problems.. but then, the tank was only up for a year.. so lol, I CAN tell you that you may make it a while before you encounter any problems..

Scrup
10-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Mith- just googled polka dot loach and read up on compatibility. Couldn't tell you exactly where I read it. sorry.

Garrett- yes having sand more than 1-2" deep can end up in anaerobic conditions, which when left unchecked, build up a sulfurous gas (very smelly) and will occasionally burst through the sand, turns the sand black, and when you move the sand around lots of smelly toxic bubbles pop out. as long as it gets aerated every few weeks or so (raking or stirring the sand) it shouldn't be a problem. Plants also help to keep the sand aerated.

Mith
10-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Mith- just googled polka dot loach and read up on compatibility. Couldn't tell you exactly where I read it. sorry.

I did some quick reading while at work on my phone.... I think it's doable. There's, however, contradictory info re how large they get. Some say 4" and others say 6".

I think it's doable though.... I'll probably get three for my 50g community! They DO eat snails which will be nice as I've probably killed 8 of them so far since getting my plants....thumbs2:

Garrett
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Garrett- yes having sand more than 1-2" deep can end up in anaerobic conditions, which when left unchecked, build up a sulfurous gas (very smelly) and will occasionally burst through the sand, turns the sand black, and when you move the sand around lots of smelly toxic bubbles pop out. as long as it gets aerated every few weeks or so (raking or stirring the sand) it shouldn't be a problem. Plants also help to keep the sand aerated.

Well, the tank's pretty well planted, and I stir up the sand when I vac the tank. See, you even learn stuff in other people's threads. :hmm3grin2orange:

Scrup
10-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I did some quick reading while at work on my phone.... I think it's doable. There's, however, contradictory info re how large they get. Some say 4" and others say 6".

I think it's doable though.... I'll probably get three for my 50g community! They DO eat snails which will be nice as I've probably killed 8 of them so far since getting my plants....thumbs2:

almost any kind of loaches will make VERY quick work of snails, dojo's even dug up all the MTS. Also Mbuna and syno cats can empty a tank full of snails in 2 days.

The giant danios gotta go. every male guppy and betta has a bite or two taken out of it, as well as the sailfin mollies...

Male betta had almost no fins on his bottom. seperated him and am treating right now.

Any other ideas on small somewhat exotic fish? So far I have Rams, kribs, and possibly polka dot loaches (only reason I am not sure is Endlers can be hard to find around here, and I don't know if I want to risk using them as a snack...)

Garrett
10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I've been looking at them for my community tank, maybe Rasboras? Bit shoal of little fishes.

Mith
10-23-2009, 01:04 AM
I've been looking at them for my community tank, maybe Rasboras? Bit shoal of little fishes.

I have those, they're nice fish

Scrup
11-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Alrighty got things semi organized in the tank, had an outbreak of some unknown disease that is hopefully passed, built a sump for the tank, and now I am moving in 3 weeks...

So until then, here is what I have- open to any comments, for some reason the pics came out yellow, and I know it needs rearranging.

overview of the tank-excuse the mess

then from left to right of the tank-

lilypad #1 and two driftwood peices. The return lines from the sump are all a little crooked. Gotta get clamps to hold them in place.

pleco and lilypad #2- recovering nicely from having all its stems eaten off by apple snails
second big driftwood piece, the thing in the back is a sponge filter from the Goldfish tank to help offset the crummy prone to drying up HOB.

and then we have the right side of the tank, you can see the petco bulb in a box that sprouted into that awesome lily, and the box filter from the goldfish tank, again to offset the drying filter. That is what the tube is BTW in all the other pictures.I pointed out some fish for ya so you can get an idea of the scale of things. the one I forgot to label is my baby trapdoor snail.

Scrup
11-07-2009, 07:20 PM
oh and the coconuts in the last pic are to cover up the bulkhead caps that were sticking out through the sand.

Garrett
11-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Looking good. Are you going to add more substrate and plant the plants in it, or leave them in the pots?

Moreover, you have any idea what that petco plant from a bulb exactly is? I bought the same thing and it's doing awesome in my 55.

Scrup
11-08-2009, 09:20 AM
the big ones will stay in pots, or containers of some sort, though I am lookig into making some shelves for them in the tank.

As far as the petco bulb goes, I have no idea what it is. I bought the 4 pack they have, and it is the only one that sprouted. Took about 2 months to sprout and the other 3 smelled like rotten eggs.

Garrett
11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I got a two pack and they took off within a couple of weeks in my 10. put them sort of in the middle in my 55 and the things are almost visibly growing every day-I'll go out to work and come back in the afternoon to find a couple more stalks have sprouted leaves on the top of the tank.

Northernguy
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Once you get everything in order you will have a great looking tank!
Having a move coming up I'm sure isn't helping matters much!:22:

Scrup
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
ALRIGHTY!

moving this weekend!

will document and probably create a few journals soon, as I will be refurbishing the 225, setting up a 125G, and making an invert tank.

how does this look for a stock list in the 225? It will be WELL planted, and I have yet to decide if I should stick with the plat sand, or go out and get a full batch of flourite (would be pretty expensive for a 225G...)

the livebearers are just guesses on numbers, I will aim to have about 10ish adults of each species at all times, but figure I will always have some fry hiding somewhere...

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=96&D=18&H=30&F=6%20x%20200912111344,6%20x%20200911041032,6%20x% 20200909300114,15%20x%20200909300093,15%20x%202009 09300222,15%20x%20200909300131,15%20x%202009093001 64,15%20x%20200909300068,2%20x%20200909300017,7%20 x%20200909300016,6%20x%20200909300071,12%20x%20200 909300153,2%20x%20200909300078,6%20x%2020090930018 2,6%20x%20200909300013,6%20x%20200910181719
Any other suggestions? I did find polka dot loaches, but they were about $15 each..no thanks I'll wait.

btw the bettas are in the tank, and the two males pretty much ignore each other, as they have 4 feet all to themselves.

Hope everyone had a merry christmas, and has a good new year!

(got a shop vac for christmas, sure am glad I got it AFTER I made that styrofoam BG.....oh well)

Anywho, just wanted to update and see if I could get some feedback on my potential stocking (and I am excited about it and need to do SOMETHING!)

Garrett
12-29-2009, 04:02 AM
I'd personally drop some of the livebearers and add a few random other fish-you could do six dwarf gouramis, for example, there's plenty of room in there to avoid aggression. I'm just an irrational fan of those buggers though. Maybe go swordtails or platys, not both, or something like that. Mollies could be hit or miss, they didn't do well in my tank but I know people have had them breed like crazy.

Maybe one of the peaceable barb species for color? Cherry barbs are another one of my favorites.

Scrup
12-29-2009, 04:06 AM
Sorry guess I should have stated, the livebearers,bettas,tetras and loaches and are all already present (only 3 dojos however, may or may not get more).

You think the gouramis would mind having that many bettas around? I'd give it a shot, but there are already 9 labyrinth's in that tank.

Also, need to find an alternative to flourite/ecoplus as to do the whole tank at about 3-4" would run me close to $400, not gonna spend more on the substrate than I did on the tank...:ssmile: ...

Garrett
12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Why not go with playsand and a thin layer of the stuff on the bottom for the plants? Might be the best compromise. Then again, I've gotten plants to grow just fine in regular sand, not sure if you've got anything special there.

I've had a gourami with a betta before, they generally just ignored each other, and to be honest you've got more than enough room in that tank-hell, you've got two male bettas and they don't run into each other. I'm just generally a big fan of dwarf gouramis, my two males have this 'lovable doofball' aura around them all the time.

Scrup
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
used playsand for a while now, and while i like sand, the playsand compacts far too much for my preference. every time I rake the bottom, (which is almost weekly) it releases sulphur, and any rocks that are left undisturbed for more than 2 weeks end up black on the bottom. Plus I am aiming for something darker. Looking into a flourite/turface or schultz mix, but still researching a few options.

another option I am toying with is keeping my 1/2" layer of sand and building 3-4" planters for everything I want to have.

Scrup
12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
also considering this-
http://www.aquariumplants.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SS&CartID=0

Garrett
12-29-2009, 04:42 PM
That looks relatively reasonable when it comes to price. How much are you thinking you'll need?

Scrup
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
enough to cover 12 sq feet so..probably 3 5G buckets...still pretty expensive, and this stuff has no iron in it...I dunno. still reading.

Oscar_freak12321
12-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Are you still stocking the tank? If so, may I recommend an African brown Knife? Stays small, not predatory, and an interesting little fish. :22: If not, sorry for butting in so late on this thread, I've missed a lot of it.

Scrup
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I am still looking for stocking suggestions.

Brown knife sounds good, I like the knife fish's undulating fin, and its fun to say undulating, but not sure about an 8" predator in with a ton of livebearers.

Oscar_freak12321
12-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Hmm...memory told me it was 5'', but looking further I guess my memory failed this time...:14: Anyhow, that is a good size, and another thing I'd actually like to recommend is a peacock eel. Doesn't get so big, and as long as you buy it after all of the other fish, the eel will consider them tankmates and not food. Even SHRIMP! So, if the brown knife doesn't work out, that's my other interesting fish idea for ya. :22:

Scrup
01-13-2010, 06:07 PM
SUCCESS!

All 85 inhabitants (fish, frogs, and snails) made it to the new house without a single loss. One guppy has a big chunk missing from his tail, and the pleco has a little heater burn on his belly, but other than that, not even a hitch. The dojo's and livebearers were even doing the mating dance last night!
thumbs2: thumbs2:

Also, managed to save at least one of every kind of snail (yes I like snails) and I found out I had a very very small ramshorn population. Hoping they will make a recovery (not sure since the dojos are very good at keeping the numbers down)

The sump has been redone, the filter chamber dropped down about 2 inches, so I can now get a lid and enclose it, to help with the 20-30G of evaporation a week, and half the temp media (filter floss) has been replaced with shattered clay pots.

One big opps. I filled the tank to the top, as well as the sump to check it for leaks (none luckily) and let it run for about 3 hours. then I moved fish, and totally forgot about the whole water displacement from the bags, so My sump overflowed about 10G onto my floor last night. Thank god for shop vacs and rubber backed rugs under tanks. Just hoping the carpet underneath the tank doesn't get too nasty. Moving it again is..well...not an option at this point, it took two of us and actually is MUCH heavier than I remember.

Pics to come later today!

Scrup
01-14-2010, 05:27 AM
I'll get to the pics tommorow. too tired atm.

I did speak too soon about losing fish, when emptying the big tank I put the filter media into the water to keep it wet, then moved it to the goldfish tank when I drained the big one.

Turns out a khuli had wedged himself in one of the cartridges, and the 30 degree instant temp drop probably was a bit too much for the little guy.

Scrup
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Good spot for a 225G tank, no?
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1025.JPG

Poor guys had to spend 2 days in this tub while I got the tank moved and setup
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1033.JPG

Decided to make a few tweaks to the sump while I had it all apart. Added a bunch of media (Added not replaced) and moved a few things around, it now sits lower, makes less noise, and I can easily seal it off to help with water loss. Also cleaned off the airstones, they were a tad bit clogged.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1035.JPG

And the finished product (for now) Thanks to NG's guidance I am going to replace the white PVC with ABS so it will blend in a whole lot better than the stark white. The two plants that are still potted are the ones that go into the pond in the spring, so I left them as they were. added a few inches of gravel to the play sand and put root tabs under every plant, and did some very heavy pruning. hopefully it starts showing soon.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1036.JPG

Scrup
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
About 3 hours after setting it up I noticed that my pleco must have been holding it the entire time. Biggest poop I've ever seen from a fish. In the end it was about 3 feet long.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1087.JPG

Scrup
01-28-2010, 09:06 PM
some videos I took with a borrowed camera, sorry for the quality. (turned my music off before I recorded these too) :11:

Run through of the tank- you can see the 100+ fry just swimming around like crazy. Luckily I have enough room for them to grow big enough to give away.
-iyEl4rlpa8

Pleco showing off then hiding
HkNZpc-22Fg

Most of the bettas, some were just not as interested in me as the others.
-L_C2dtyde4

and a frog.

and yeah, the rope light fell back into the tank, gotta remount it.

DoubleD
01-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Looking good! thumbs2:

Scrup
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Just measured the pleco, he was kind enough to slap himself against the front. He was about 7" when we got him about 9 months ago, he is now over 13"...talk about a growth spurt.

Also the two male bettas are still getting along just fine, each building a bubble nest on opposite sides.

Garrett
02-02-2010, 06:09 AM
I want your tank, or one just like it, lol. Now the trick is going to be sneaking past the wife when we buy a house. thumbs2:

Scrup
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Cleaned the sump yesterday. Waited a bit too long, gonna need to redo a few things once I get the time/money, like make the filter a bit larger, or easier to get out, at this rate I will need to clean it about once every 2 weeks.

top drawer- had some pillow batting in it, works good for the large stuff.

The felt works great for the smaller stuff, got a nice layer of mulm built up on this one.

Looks kinda like some of the Navy coffee I've had.

Some debris got out of the filter when it was clogged, but the terra cotta is working wonderfully, readings after 2 weeks with no water changes were 0A,0Ni,and about 5ppm on the nitrates. No complaints so far.

Lots of snails ending up in it though, so far no problems from that, hoping the ones small enough to fit through the prefilter get chopped up and don't get it stuck.

Scrup
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
and my bala shark has been doing this lately, not sure whats up with that.

Scrup
02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
and a higer res vid of the tank-

DTfO9QAdgKY

candice&jeff
02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Wow! I LOVE your tank Scrup! Awsome Setup!thumbs2:

Scrup
02-16-2010, 12:44 AM
So I introduced my newest pleco, an unknown breed, according to the lady I got him from, he is about 10 years old.

He is about 6" head to tail.

He just met my common pleco(close to 14" now).

And he commenced to sit right next to him, and began slapping him with his tail.

After about the tenth tail slap I guess my common woke up and noticed him, slapped him back once and sent him flying.

Now they seem to get along just fine, or rather ignore each other. Keeping a close eye on them, ready to pull him out if things get too rough.

Scrup
05-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Pleco's are good, fish are doing pretty well.

I plan on redoing the sump tomorrow after work. I am basically going to take out the 35G rubbermaid bin and replace it with 2x 30G tanks I have setup. Part of my grand consolidation plan, as if I want more big tanks (my goal is one more big tank, for big fish this time...lol) I need to get some of the small ones off of the kitchen counter first. Also wanting to get rid of the rubbermaid bin, as I can never tell how low the water is until the pump is sucking air without crawling under the tank and sticking my hand or my head into the sump, which gets old after a while. Also hoping to reduce the evaporation a little.

The tanks will be connected with two 3" pvc "U" shapes, both ends going into a coffee can, so they will keep a siphon. Ran a proof of concept tonight on it with two buckets and it worked without a problem. Water level goes up in one side, it flows over to the other. No real way aside from the pvc leaking for the siphon to break.

The first tank will be a filter tank, with the mechanical filtration setup mattenfilter style (upright so the water flows through the filter longways in the tank, should cut down on the noise quite a bit). After the filters, it should flow through the siphon, into the other side, where the bio filtration will be taking place, using the crushed terra cotta pot media that has served me oh so well, and back to the tank.

This will probably all make a lot more sense once I get some pictures.

Boy do I have a lot of pictures to upload...:hmm3grin2orange:

Scrup
05-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Forgot to mention, I had to put one of the bala sharks down, the one with the open mouth. He aparently ran into something and broke it so it was stuck open. Poor guy couldn't eat at all. I tried popping it back, but to no avail.

Since then, the lone was was pacing all over the tank nervously, trying to school with anyone who would let him near, which would mostly just spook them into running, so he would chase, and they would run more. Poor guy needed some friends. So we went to the store and got him 4 bala friends, 12 more oto's (so far all of them are making it fine, its been about 2 weeks now!)bringing the otos up to a school of 17, and 5 more red eye tetras, bringing the total up to 10.

The balas are actually trying to school with the red eyes now, scaring the poo out of them the whole time.

Also saw the biggest fattest dojo loaches I have ever seen in my life at the fish store. They were mine the second I laid eyes on them. Aptly named pickle and hot dog.

Scrup
05-04-2010, 04:31 AM
And some photos! (click to enlarge!!! Still can't believe it took me this long to learn that...)

Two of the new otos hangin out.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01797.JPG

The livebearers going banana's over a new peice of decor I got with a used tank on craigslist. Just put it in to see how it looks. Did not expect this. It went on for about 3 hours while they cleaned it from top to bottom.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01748.JPG

New bala's pretending they are red eye tetras-

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01760.JPG

Looking at this you would think I starve my loaches. The big one is pickle. The golden one is one of the three original loaches I got.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01768_Large_.JPG

Scrup
05-04-2010, 04:33 AM
I can tell the two apart for now, one of them had his nostril torn off before I got him, poor guy. Still they look pretty fat and happy IMO. Notice the fatty deposit on the tail. No idea what that means, but they both have it.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC018021.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01814.JPG

Ashley
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
wow! That's one big tank and one big community!!! Very nice, I think you had the perfect spot to put the tank too, like it was meant to have a massive tank there, lol.

Scrup
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks!

Yeah the spot worked out pretty well. Could not have asked for a more perfect place to put it.

Still debating if I ever want to move it again though...lol.

Brhino
05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
awesome tank, just read your journal for the first time.

Any idea what your stocking list for the tank looks like currently?

Scrup
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks! I spend as much time watching it as I do working and thinking about improving it...lol.

urrent stocking list, I think-

oto x 17

Albino corry x 3 (need to get some more...)

Kuhli loach x 5

Dojo loach x 5

Bala shark x 5

Common pleco x 2 15" and 8"

Guppies x 15+ adults + fry

Endlers x 8 adults + fry

Swordtails x 8 adults + fry

Mollies x 4 adults, possibly some fry...not much luck with the mollies...these 4 are my last try at them, then I call it quits on mollies.

Platties x 10+ adults +fry

Bettas x 7

Red eye tetras x 10

Actually getting close to being fully stocked, though you wouldn't think it looking at the tank.

Need to get another kind of loach as well, either a yoyo, zebra, or a polka dot loach, as the dojo's are having trouble keeping up with the snails.

Brhino
05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
that's a ton of livebearers... what do you do with all the fry?

Scrup
05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't do anything with them. Between the bettas, balas, and tetras, they take care of themselves. Will be giving a handfull fo guppies away soon since it seems the guppy babies keep themselves alive better than the others.

Brhino
05-04-2010, 08:39 PM
so do a few of each species survive to adulthood, or is it pretty much 0 population growth apart from the guppies? Sorry for the volley of questions, but I've been thinking about getting into livebearers. I'd like to think a tank could be set up with a combination of fry-eaters and cover such that most fry would be eaten but one or two would grow to adulthood now and then, but that may be wishful thinking.

Scrup
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
It is wishful thinking, while they do keep the numbers down, there are always a few that make it. It's hit or miss. One litter I ended up with 15 new platties, then next, two. the most recent one was about 7.

However it is pretty easy to get rid of livebearers once they are adult. I just put up a craigslist ad for free fish and the calls come rolling in.

Scrup
05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, it is setup and working, but there is a pinhole leak somewhere on the pvc, so it loses the siphon over a period of 10-12 hours. Going to pick up some silicone and seal around the edges, and drill a hole at the top of each one, since I am tired of having to snake a hose all the way through it just to pull the air out.

Installed an UGF in the sump as well, after the mechanical filtration. Curious to see how well it works without actual fish poo building up in it. My guess is it will work pretty well. Eventually might look at getting a powerhead to reverse flow, since the airstones don't move as much water as I had hoped.

Big plans running through my head though. I am actually thinking about removing the livebearers and putting them in the 55 gallon, and putting the angelfish in the 225. It would still have all the other small fish, but I have been thinking lately about seperating them to allow me to give them harder water without impacting the rest of the tank.

Didn't have time to take any pics, was working on that sump until midnight last night.

Scrup
05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
So I've lost 2 otos that I know of, hard to keep track of tiny fish in this tank. A couple more have pretty sunken bellies, considering moving them into another tank for some intensive care, but don't know if it will make any difference, as the tank they are in is the most well established ones I have.

Sump is done and working wonderfully, better than I had hoped actually!

Scrup
05-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, tested the water just for grins and it looks like I killed off my cycle. Showing up with both ammonia and nitrites, no nitrates.

Not a good thing. Doing daily water changes in a 225 gallon tank is not something I am fond of, and I am going out of town next week for 4 days....great.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, I got back in town to find my awesome 225g acrylic tank has sprung a leak.

A slow one, but a leak all the same. Looks like another 4-5 spots are about to open up as well.

Tearing it all down tommorrow.

RIP big tank.

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Well, I got back in town to find my awesome 225g acrylic tank has sprung a leak.

A slow one, but a leak all the same. Looks like another 4-5 spots are about to open up as well.

Tearing it all down tommorrow.

RIP big tank.

WOW!! so sorry dude:scry:
What brand is the tank?
Any idea why it started leaking?
GL fixing the situation:22:

Scrup
05-20-2010, 03:06 AM
I have no idea who the original manufacturer was, bought it used, no labels anywhere. No idea what caused it, its just starting to seperate along the bottom seam. Impossible to get to since they welded dowels in all the corners, and the leak is actually under the dowel. I suppose I could use it for scrap parts....but thats a whole lot of scrap.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 03:13 AM
This is what the death of an acrylic tanks looks like.

Slow drip for now, luckily its all going back into that awesome new sump setup I have...lol.

I'm pissed but at the same time, this tank really has been nothing but trouble. Bittersweet I suppose. More sad about the thought of having to rehome my Bala's and plecos.

Any suggestions on the minimum size two common plecos and 5 bala sharks could grow up in?:hmm3grin2orange:

Scrup
05-20-2010, 04:11 AM
I am wondering if I could get a LFS to possibly hold some of them for a while...Anyone ever tried anything like this? Realized I do not really want to keep my bala sharks and my big ol pleco in a 30 gallon if I can prevent it...

Lab_Rat
05-20-2010, 04:15 AM
That sucks bad, sorry to hear it's leaking. It couldn't hurt to ask if the LFS could hold them for you. Offer to pay them a small fee for fish rent or something.

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 05:57 AM
This is what the death of an acrylic tanks looks like.

Slow drip for now, luckily its all going back into that awesome new sump setup I have...lol.

I'm pissed but at the same time, this tank really has been nothing but trouble. Bittersweet I suppose. More sad about the thought of having to rehome my Bala's and plecos.

Any suggestions on the minimum size two common plecos and 5 bala sharks could grow up in?:hmm3grin2orange:

55 g coula be a good temp home and they are cheap.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 02:49 PM
stupid fish stores and late opening hours...rrg.

I am pretty sure I cna put the bala's in with the angels for now, the others will be fine in 30 gallons. Its the big pleco, since the 55g will have 2 smaller ones (8-10") so adding an 18" (god they grow fast, just measured him) may not be the best idea.

I'm sure the Mbuna would TOTALLY get along with the bala's (sarcasm), actually the thought crossed my mind, but I would rather play it safe, plus drip acclimating them to the PH would just add time to my already pressed schedule. took 2 days off of work. I have this vision of the bottom seam just tearing apart while I'm gone and coming home to a soaked floor and dead fish everywhere.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 03:54 PM
HAPPY DAYS!

Never thought I would be so happy to find a leak.

The leak is actually coming from one of the bulkheads on the back.

Still though, the white spot is a concern of mine now.

Red
05-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Is the white spot damp at all?

Scrup
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
It was, but it had a peice of velcro over it. I looked wet last night after I pulled the velcro off, even after drying it off, but this morning it is bone dry. I had spent all day in burbank airport so my brain was a little fried. I imagine last night I kept accidentally touching the bottom of the tank too, which would wick water up to the spot. I turned off the pump and drained it down about 6" and, no more dripping.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 05:22 PM

To give you an idea where they all are.

Plus a decent shot of my new sump setup. :hmm3grin2orange:

Can't really read the top one, that is where the leaky bulkhead is at.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 05:27 PM
WHEW!

yep, they are old. Was hard to remember since I always have a piece of trim over the edges of the tank now.

Looks like its just my paranoia playing my head...lol

I feel like a huge weight was just lifted off my back...wow.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Also...what a time to quit smoking......If I can make it through this, im golden.

Scrup
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Just waiting on the silicone to dry now. I suppose this is as good a time as any to mess with the decoration. The water level is actually low enough for me to reach the bottom without a facefull of water. gonna go pull the plants up now..lol

tanks4thememories
05-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Just waiting on the silicone to dry now. I suppose this is as good a time as any to mess with the decoration. The water level is actually low enough for me to reach the bottom without a facefull of water. gonna go pull the plants up now..lol

WOW im very happy for ya bro!! Glad it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Scrup
05-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Done.

Leak repaired, tank rearranged, livebearers removed, and angels and blood parrots moved over.

Bed time now. I wouldn't be half as tired if I didn't have to walk up and down a ladder every time I got in the tank.

Brhino
05-22-2010, 02:21 AM
what did you do with all the livebearers?

Scrup
05-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Moved them into the 55 gallon the angels and BP's were in.

Scrup
05-22-2010, 05:34 AM
New pic before I crash. Just a quick shot, been playing around with my camera. Tank version 3.0. Still a community tank, so I can keep the title :)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01950_Large_.JPG

Only lost two guppies through the whole ordeal (didn't notice them jumping out of the net, found em the next day), though the big bala did manage to smash his nose pretty good.

So..current stocking-

2x blood parrots
2x angelfish
2x common pleco
8x red eye tetras
5x bala sharks
15ish oto's
5 Dojo loaches
5 kuhli loaches
2 albino corydora
5 female bettas (both the males died, one of them most likely old age, the other had a bad case of constipation)

tanks4thememories
05-22-2010, 05:38 AM
New pic before I crash. Just a quick shot, been playing around with my camera. Tank version 3.0. Still a community tank, so I can keep the title :)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/953/DSC01950_Large_.JPG

Only lost two guppies through the whole ordeal (didn't notice them jumping out of the net, found em the next day), though the big bala did manage to smash his nose pretty good.

Yeah balas are so "Jumpy"..hmm ok un intended pun there..lol
I love that tank Man!!

Scrup
05-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Got some pics to take tomorrow...I am pretty excited. Got some new additions today and found the most amazing LFS I have ever seen.

Scrup
05-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Also, forgot to mention this, this evening I noticed my Dojo loach count was down to 4, and it should be 5.

Spent 30 minuets poking and prodding around the tank, then searching the floor to no avail. Finally started pulling up the newly added (and half buried) PVC caves, and my fiance tells me she sees a head sticking out. He was buried under them, still alive somehow. The tank is now a mess, but I found him! Still cannot believe I didn't see him sneak under when I was putting them in.(blush)

Scrup
05-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Opted for a video instead.

zgVjsNIjNi8

Three new angels, two more blood parrots, and 6 new clown loaches.

tanks4thememories
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Opted for a video instead.

zgVjsNIjNi8

Three new angels, two more blood parrots, and 6 new clown loaches.

AWESOME STUFF!! Your water is so clear the fish look like they are floating in space...lol Nice Fish and Nice Rig!!

Scrup
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Well the clowns are getting to work already. Fiding more and more empty snail shells. Sadly they are like the dojos. They seem to prefer MTS over ramshorn, as 90% of the empty shells are MTS.

Sursion
05-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Hm. What I wouldn't give for a 225g tank. That's bigger then my bedroom.

megastealer
05-27-2010, 05:08 AM
I love your tank and stock choices. Clown loaches are awesome, and the blood parrots and angelfish look really cool with them. This could be inspiration for me later on, I could see one of these in a future living room haha

Scrup
07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Its a little bit of work and a good bit of food, but I love it! Until I have to move it, then comes the regret...lol

some pics of the revised sump-
Overview-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02079_Large_.JPG

You can see I now have 4 HOB's cycled at all times ready for use whenever I need them. Can handle anything from a 10 gallon to a 200G with these.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02082_Large_.JPG
Returns from the tank, 2x 1" vinyl tubing.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02089_Large_.JPG
And the mechanical filtration. Working quite well as you can see.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02086_Large_.JPG

Scrup
07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
One of the fears I had connecting the tanks was that the siphon would break, meaning the water would be draining all over my floor and my pump would run dry. To prevent that I put in a few failsafes. Probably overkill, but it gives me peace of mind.
All of the pipe ends are in coffee cans, meaning that even if the tank drains dry, the siphon should still hold.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02088_Large_.JPG

More coffee cans, two pumps, a whole lot of tubing, a ugf with 3" of gravel and terra cotta, and some plants. there is a light mounted above this tank for the plants.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02092_Large_.JPG
Another failsafe. The pump running the UGF is also constantly sucking a little bit of water out of the pipe. Glad I put it in too, as even with the pipe cement it still would suck a few bubbles every few minuets. siliconed all the seams and installed this addition, not a problem since.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02091_Large_.JPG
This coffee can has terra cotta in it, mostly to keep gravel from getting sucked into the pump, and as some extra bio filtration. its got a hole in the bottom which I mounted over an UGF tube, so its constantly pulling water through the gravel, through the coffee can,and then outputs into a seperate corner where it has to travel through more gravel and terra cotta. you can see on the other side of the pump the failsafe tubes are attached.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02096_Large_.JPG

its not the prettiest thing, and needs some cleanup, in the first chamber I just threw in all the stuff from my old sump to seed it, going to remove it as soon as my stitches come out. Also need to trim up some of the tubing, but honestly, its a 60G sump that works amazingly, is really low maintanance (compared to my last one), and I threw it together with stuff I had laying around. Total out of pocket cost was about $6 for the big PVC.

Scrup
07-02-2010, 05:33 PM
And a video of the feeding time frenzy. Its a safe bet my fish are not that shy.

PpLXgXefevI

Scrup
10-21-2010, 04:03 PM
So I think I may have just killed one of my clown loaches.

Was vacuuming the tank and they were refusing to come out of the top bulkheads, even when it was dry. After about 2 hours of filling and draining the tank and doing everything we could to coerce them out, we managed to get all of them out (so we thought) and finished cleaning it out (the bulkheads are at the very top). I cleaned the other tanks out as well, so after about an hour this tank got filled back up. While I was filling it one of the loaches just randomly comes flying out of one of the holes. Then I remembered that the bulkheads hit and elbow and there is a 6" piece capped off, so it makes a neat little reservoir/tomb for them to get trapped in.

this morning I still only have 5 of them swimming around, vice the 6 I did have. Hoping he is just scared and hiding out, and didn't suffocate.

Really need to cap those holes...

Scrup
10-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Well...found him. Poor little guy. It was a real pain getting him out of that hole too. ended up trying coat hangers, the end of a net, and finnally tried hooking up a small pump and feeding hose down into it to flush him out.

Btw, two day old clown loaches stink. Really bad.

Gonna be a rainy weekend so I might be updating with some pics.

boogernose
10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
That's sad, gross and funny at the same time. Poor guy! I guess you'll be capping those holes now. :razz:

Cliff
10-23-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd love to see some new pics

Scrup
10-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Here are a few shots. Managed to get a pretty good video at feeding time as well, uploading it now.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/aji12_17/DSC02473Large.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/aji12_17/DSC02401Large.jpg

The syno loves to hang out underneath this pleco. Kinda cute really.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/aji12_17/DSC02386Large.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/aji12_17/DSC02380Large.jpg

Scrup
10-30-2010, 03:47 AM
A little bit long but I got some good laughs filming it.
This video also features the rarely seen big daddy pleco, the most skittish fish in the tank.

Yd4lOKoHmRQ

korweabo0
10-30-2010, 04:31 AM
does the syno get as big as a common pleco?

great video btw!

Sursion
10-30-2010, 06:31 AM
What's that big brown spot on one of your loaches?

Scrup
10-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks! I've been meaning to get some better pics. Need to get some better lighting first and clear out some of the floating plants. Gives everything a yellow hue on camera. Of course being that deep doesn't help much either.

No, the syno will not be nearly as big as the plecos, probably 6-8" tops, and the brown spot is just a birthmark from what I can tell. It has a large one on one side and a tiny one on the other. The others have a few very small brown spots on them, its just genetics. We named that one spot for obvious reasons.

Scrup
12-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Cleaned the sump out yesterday. Found I had a small gap in the mechanical filter, the UGF on the side was totally gooped out. Gross. after all was said and done, there was almost 2 gallons of solid poo removed from the tank. Holy poop monsters.

Today I am giving it a good once over with the gravel vac, and gonna rearrange some things. Pics to come!

Scrup
12-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Before shots-

left side.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02602_Large_.JPG

Right side-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02603_Large_.JPG

Might need to pull out some duckweed/hyacinth...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02607_Large_.JPG

Scrup
12-06-2010, 04:08 AM
And after the cleanup-

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02700_Large_.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02646_Large_.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02642_Large_.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02645_Large_.JPG

Scrup
12-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Some more shots-

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02654_Large_.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02632_Large_.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02666_Large_.JPG

Still can't believe how fast this guy has grown. That is a 4" bulkhead behind him.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/DSC02649_Large_.JPG

Scrup
12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Eek!

After removing most of the hornwort and the duckweed (seem to have gotten ALL the duckweed somehow, though I imagine the fish helped mop up the remanants), I noticed two of my dojo's, three angels, and a few of the giant danios all have some fin rot.

Tested the water and the nitrates are well aboce 60ppm. The water has never read over 20 in the few years I have had it.

Oops.

time to add the hornwort back.

Scrup
12-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Nitrates seem to have leveled out. Got some hornwort from a friend, seemed to do the trick. guess the hornwort stays!

And a rare shot of my synodontis, I am guessing in a juvy stage (has grown 2" since I got him, my fiance thought I had snuck one in when she wasn't looking), his top fin is amazing. He makes an appearance at about the 20 second mark. That is followed by blood parrots being blood parrots, and a jerk angelfish trying to start a fight and being totally ignored by the blood parrots.

ULJvqoThhyQ

I just finished spray painting some new intakes for the tank, and am waiting on some warmer weather (and this cold to go away), then I will finally get around to redoing the spray bars as well. Soon the amazing ugly white pvc will be no more!

Scrup
12-29-2010, 02:38 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02726_Large_.JPG

Had to turn the pic otherwise it just looked silly.

Scrup
01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
So, I went to this amazing store downtown called "ReSource". They sell reclaimed and recycled building material. I was hoping to get some upgraded lighting for my tanks, and while the selection and prices on everything was amazing, all they had were incandescent and t12 lights.

So, we stopped by Wallyworld on the way home for a few things, and I was curious so I cruised by the lighting department.

On sale for $15 each, 4' t8 shoplights!

So now my tank is all pretty and bright!
For comparison, keep in mind I also changed the lights from "aquarium and plant bulbs" to 6500k bulbs

before-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC02700_Large_.JPG

after-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC03026_Large_.JPG

Scrup
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Well, had some excitement the last week. A blood parrot got stuck in a bulkhead, and my nitrates spiked up to 180ppm.

I was freaking. Lost a danio and the corries were all hanging out at the top. All the angels have got slight fin rot, as do the dojo's, and nothing was looking very healthy. A few water changes later the nitrates are back down and I am sitting there trying to figure out how I could have gotten a spike like that out of no where. No change in the maintainance, weekly water changes, no food spills, I added a blood parrot and two clowns this month, I doubt that would cause a...400-500% increase in nitrates.

Then it hits me. I fed them two pieces of shrimp a few days before. I check the wrapper and...preservative- sodium nitrate. DOH!

I;ve fed em shrimp before and didn't even register I was using a different type than normal.

Scrup
03-04-2011, 02:49 AM
This morning I made a tough move (for me anyway) and gave away my pleco's.

All of them.

Nitrates were a concern, but the biggest reason being I want plants. Real ones that aren't floating around.

Lucky for me, the guy I gave them to also breeds dwarf plecos! So, I am now 3-4 feet of pleco shorter, but I have 6 little bristlenose adolescents!

Other updates, got a canister filter! CFS-500, one of thsoe ebay $50 specials. It is actually suprisingly good quality for the money. $20 in tubes and clamps later and I have myself a half decent filter. Haven't checked it yet so I can't comment on performance (plan on putting up a review for it this weekend), but the greatest part of it is it will keep the tank aerated during long sump maintenance endeavors.

Scrup
05-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Updates- Mystery eggs!

I noticed about 15 eggs on top of my return pipe. The odd part is, the return pipe is about 2" from the top of the water, and has a high current shooting out of each side, meaning the large fish could not fit in there to lay eggs, and the smaller fish would have a very hard time getting in there.

It is down to 5 possible culprits- Dojo loaches and otos (highly unlikely), plecos, danios, or corries. the thing is they look a good bit larger than most corry eggs I have seen, the pleco's are too young and would probably not lay them out in plain sight. So..maybe its the giant danios?

Also, CFS-500 broke off at the barb- I was stupid and should have reinforced it before setting it up. Aside from that it works fantastically.

Getting ramped up for the big move. Buying a house, and not looking forward to moving all of these tanks and fish. One of my friends has a ton of heaters I can use, and I bought a big box of filters at a recent fish auction. Now just to get some rubbermaid bins!

Scrup
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Well, it was a good run but I will be decommisioning the tank for good and selling it off.

It won't fit in my basement, and I don't have the ability to brace any of the flooring in any place I would want to put it.

But, I am upgrading to a 400 gallon within a few weeks, once I get it moved to my house, torn down, and carried piece by piece into the basement and reassembled. Starting a new thread once I make some progress on that.

Thanks for all the help and support with this!