PDA

View Full Version : Black Moors and 10G tank

jholt5638
10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't understand why everyone suggests 20G for a single goldfish and 10G for each additional fish. I have had a 10G tank with 3 Black Moors for close to a year now. I have had no problems and seem happy (I think they take great joy in uprooting my plastic plants) I do a 20% water change every week and a 50% change roughly once a month. I use both airstone pump and a carbon filter/ pump. They are about 2 inches minus their fins. I don't plan on keeping them in this tank forever and plan buying atleast a 50G in the future

bigbad-ratman
10-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't understand why everyone suggests 20G for a single goldfish and 10G for each additional fish. I have had a 10G tank with 3 Black Moors for close to a year now. I have had no problems and seem happy (I think they take great joy in uprooting my plastic plants) I do a 20% water change every week and a 50% change roughly once a month. I use both airstone pump and a carbon filter/ pump. They are about 2 inches minus their fins. I don't plan on keeping them in this tank forever and plan buying atleast a 50G in the future
we say that because you are crowding your fish. my black moor has noticable grown in less than a month. my other fancies have grown at least a half an inch in less than a year. if your fish have only grown that big and/or not growing further, then you might have stunted them. they can actually grow to be pretty sizable fish and have a high bioload, which is larger tanks and overfiltering them is recomended. it is the same old thing members as a community have been sayin since before i was a member: yeah you can do it, but it is not the necisarily a good thing. just like keeping a betta in a shot glass. if you what your fish to thrive you have to do a little better for them.

Giannis86
10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
although they seem fine, keep in mind that every fish needs its space
I believe that you are pushing it with 3 fancies in a 10g. Additionally, the bio-load that these fish produce will require you to do very regular maintenance in order to keep water parameters in check

personally i find 20/10g slightly on the "high" side. I have 3 young moors (5months old) in a 160L tank (roughly 45g) and in a few weeks i will be adding my 2 adult moors (1.5years old).
I do take the filtration seriously though. I am running 2 filters filled with ceramic filter media and zeolite, weekly water changes (~25%), a lot of live plants (also accounting for filtration) (carefully chosen plants but still you can never know with goldfish:ssuprised: hopefully it wont all become salad:hmm3grin2orange: ) in order to give my fish a very clean environment.

smaug
10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
I could keep 3 grown men in a box 10 ft square for there whole life,they too would be fine.Wait a minute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats kind of like punishment isnt it,,kind of like what we do to prisoners.How big are your moors?At 1 year they shold be about fist size,or are they stunted?Keeping fish isnt about giving them the minimum space,its about doing it right.

Deleted User
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM
They are pretty fish!

It's good they will eventually go in a bigger tank. In the meantime, have you considered bumping the water change amount up? I keep fancy goldfish in two 20g's, and do a 75% partial water change 2x a week. Ours are moving on up... to either a 75g or a 150g (debating now). But I think the big, frequent pwc's really help them in the meantime. And, because we really like the fancy goldfish in the bedroom, we will keep two fancies in each of the 20g's long term, anyway. Maybe switching them off to the bigger tank (like a rotation) but fancy goldfish are what we will keep in the bedroom tanks even after getting the one bigger tank for fancy goldies.

Good luck and welcome to the AC!

VoidParadigm
10-16-2009, 01:28 AM
10g per fancy is a minimum, imo, for the fish to be truly comfortable. I admit it outright that I don't keep all my goldfish in the right sized tank. The only excuse, imo, for a too small tank is during winter "hibernation" of pond goldfish. Low activity, lower feedings, and thus less mess and less need for room to excersize. I hope you upgrade your tank size soon.

The main reason for the 10g per fish is the amount of waste and the size that they get. As a beginner fish they are one of the biggest, only being outranked, imo, by the common pleco. Larger breeds of goldfish need the beginning of 20g for the first then 10g for the rest to give them a little bit of extra room, as some can get up to a foot in length. (Imo, for the breeds that get 12'' long a minimum of 30g is actually needed PER fish.)

xasuma
01-26-2010, 04:54 AM
thats kind of cool fish, i want a black moor too.
i also have a 10 gallon tank tho.

i actually have more fish than you, 5 , but they are quite small and young.
:p