PDA

View Full Version : Lime/calcium Buildup

JENUINE
10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
My 3 Tanks All Get Scale Buildup On Glass (top Of Water Level), And All Areas Of Lid Where Water Splashes. Believe It's Either Lime Or Calcium Buildup. How Does One Clean These Areas W/o Affecting Inhabitants? I Clean Glass Weekly With One Of Those Magnetic Glass Cleaners Prior To Syphoning Off Water And Remove And Wash Hang On Filter Boxes And Anything Else Removable, But White Haze Reappears When Areas Dry. Have Heard Of Using White Vinegar, But Wouldn't That Be Harmful To Tanklife? Any Suggestions, Please?

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Same problems here due to hard water. I finally solved the problem by filling my tanks clear to the top frame and had to use a razor scrapper before doing that. I still have to clean filters with vinegar to break up the scale on them. Looks terrible and is really annoying having hard water. I also clean my glass tops with vinegar.

JENUINE
10-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks For Replying, But Can't Fill To Top As Water Flow Needs To Be Below Filter Outlet And In 20 Gal Tank I'm Allowing Golden Apple Snail To Lay Her Eggs. I've Tried White Vinegar But Still Doesn't Do The Trick. Don't Want To Go To Water Softeners, Seems You Give Up One Situation Only To Be Bombarded With Another! Oh Well, Just Thought There Was A Quick And Easy Solution To The Polution, But Guess Not!

JENUINE
08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Since my original post, I've read that using a little PH down on a piece of cotton will get rid of lime/calcium deposits on tank hardware. Has anyone tried that method?

snail
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I have the same problem and I fill my tank to the top too because of this. I find vinager works really well for cleaning when the tank is empty but I have to put plenty and leave it to soak before rinsing well. I'm afraid that doesn't help much for a tank in use.

DebbyS
09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Here in Albuquerque we have very hard water (though this may change as the Water Department brings in more surface/river water to replace the ground water we've been using). No matter. Ever since I started my first aquarium four years ago, I've been using filtered tap water (plus prime after filtering it). I filter the water through a Brita filter, but other similar filters should also work. After all this time, while I do have some scale build up on the over-the-tank filter of my Eclipse 6, there is very little anywhere else, and I credit the consistent use of the filtered water rather than straight from the tap. I let the water sit out for at least 12 hours in an attempt to off gas clorine, then filter and Prime it and store it in one-gallon plastic water bottles, which I put atop my refrigerator to keep the water warmish (thought of that a few winters ago, and there's room up there, too). My tanks are the 6G and a 10G, plus a 2.5 and some 1-2G nanos, and I change out a gallon each every 3-4 days from the bigger ones. This water purification technique might not work on really big tanks though...

fishsafari
11-16-2010, 03:03 AM
I just bought a couple used tanks, and there is a hard white residue on the inside. I have gone crazy scraping with a razor blade. Is that the kind of thing white vinegar should clean?

fishsafari
11-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Okay, the verdict is in.

The white vinegar, plus the razor blade, does the trick. No easy fixes, but the vinegar really cuts down on the effort. It took about 30 minutes for 10 gallon tank.

Johnny Rotten
11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Has anyone tried this out to find out if it works or not?

Johnny Rotten
11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
The Ph down on acotton ball. I forgot that part.Fali