PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about Sumps and Software

A340
04-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey everyone!

Just a couple of questions I've had on my mind over the last couple of days.

1) What are the advantanges of sumps and in tank overflows over traditional fliters? The reason why I'm asking is because I just received my Zoo Zajac (worlds's largest pet store in Duisburg, Germany) catalogue in the mail, and can't seem to find any sumps in there nor any tanks with built in overflows. Also, I have several friends and relatives in Germany that are very serious aquarium hobbyists and don't even know what an overflow is. Yet in Canada, most tanks you see in better pet stores have an overflow built in to the tank or is at least pre-drilled.

2) Does anyone know of any decent freeware out there that you could use as an aquarium log? I've googled a few times, and haven't found anything that's either free or of any value. (yes, I'm too cheap to pay for these type of luxuries ... lol!)

Thanks in advance for any answers or opinions,

Patrick :22:

Drumachine09
04-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Microsoft Excel? or maybe another spreadsheet type doohickey.

cocoa_pleco
04-07-2007, 03:12 AM
excel is the best

Chrona
04-07-2007, 03:41 AM
Hey everyone!

Just a couple of questions I've had on my mind over the last couple of days.

1) What are the advantanges of sumps and in tank overflows over traditional fliters? The reason why I'm asking is because I just received my Zoo Zajac (worlds's largest pet store in Duisburg, Germany) catalogue in the mail, and can't seem to find any sumps in there nor any tanks with built in overflows. Also, I have several friends and relatives in Germany that are very serious aquarium hobbyists and don't even know what an overflow is. Yet in Canada, most tanks you see in better pet stores have an overflow built in to the tank or is at least pre-drilled.

2) Does anyone know of any decent freeware out there that you could use as an aquarium log? I've googled a few times, and haven't found anything that's either free or of any value. (yes, I'm too cheap to pay for these type of luxuries ... lol!)

Thanks in advance for any answers or opinions,

1) Sumps increase your total water volume, which dilutes waste. Also, you can put heaters, reactors, chillers, etc, etc, in your sump, so it doesn't clutter your tank. Overflow boxes are also less obvious than the canister filter pipes that go into the tank. Sumps can provide massive biological filtration, but aren't as great at mechanical filtration or chemical as say, canister filters (unless you sump incorporates compartments for media bags)

2) Excel is the best. I know it's not freeware, but nothing else comes to mind. If you are familiar with Bittorent, you can get MS Office. Note I do "NOT" condone pirating software.... ;)

A340
04-07-2007, 06:22 AM
If you are familiar with Bittorent, you can get MS Office. Note I do "NOT" condone pirating software.... ;)
Neither am I ... :ezpi_wink1:

I was thinking about Excel myself, but it's the long weekend and I'm too lazy. Oh well, I guess if I do it myself, I can at least customize it the way I want. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

As far as sumps go, are there any more opinions on pro's and con's? Also, is there a certain tank size that one would be looking at where a sump is the better way to go?