PDA

View Full Version : food for a ...

Mr.Bluegill
10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
bluegill any food besides minows? he loves bloodworms and tubifex worms but they are not part of his natural diet.
he will jump out of the water for blood and tubifex worms.:22:

Demjor19
10-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Mine loved pellets, Krill, and Super worms!

Crispy
10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
nightcrawlers from the baitshop are always good. I also recommend superworms.

Mr.Bluegill
10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
he only eats the ones that are babys. what are super worms

Crispy
10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
he only eats the ones that are babys. what are super worms

Superworms are a beetle larvae with a semi-hard shell. Very high in protein and easily "gutloaded". Should be able to buy them anywhere they sell feeder crickets, mealworms, and such.

http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/images/superworms.jpg

Mr.Bluegill
10-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Mealworms!!!!!!!

Crispy
10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Mealworms!!!!!!!

Mealworms are the tiny version of the superworm. Bigger fish won't fill up on mealworms, but they're great for small fish.

Mr.Bluegill
10-14-2009, 09:55 PM
my bluegill is not that big:22:

sunfishman
10-14-2009, 10:06 PM
my dad had a bluegill, it was the first fish i ever saw. i have one now that will readilly eat crickets and grasshoppers.

Demjor19
10-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Try throwing some floating pellets in! My Pumpkinseed started on pellets the day I cought him and put him in my tank.

sunfishman
10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
i wish that would work for mine! he is a longearxpumkinseed hybrid and he only eats live! im thinking of putting it in with a jd or an oscar cichlid to "teach" it to take pellets

UncleWillie
10-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm with Demjor. Bluegill are one of the easiest sunnies to convert to pellets. Getting it on a staple of pellets will certainly help your wallet. then you can alwys treat it to worms, gut-loaded crickets, etc.

At young ages it is pretty easy. Starve him for a few days, then mix pellets in with bloodworms and eventually reduce numbers. I have had no problem getting young bluegill to eat pellets if I feed nothing else. It also is a huge help to have other pellet or flake-trained fish in the tank with it (it can kind of learn from them). How large is you BG?

I suggest Hikari Gold, btw.

Mr.Bluegill
10-17-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm with Demjor. Bluegill are one of the easiest sunnies to convert to pellets. Getting it on a staple of pellets will certainly help your wallet. then you can alwys treat it to worms, gut-loaded crickets, etc.

At young ages it is pretty easy. Starve him for a few days, then mix pellets in with bloodworms and eventually reduce numbers. I have had no problem getting young bluegill to eat pellets if I feed nothing else. It also is a huge help to have other pellet or flake-trained fish in the tank with it (it can kind of learn from them). How large is you BG?

I suggest Hikari Gold, btw.
he attacks anything in reach and he eats anything:goldfish: :goldfish:

Booker
11-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I feed mine baitshop worms and brine shrimp, normally. Every friday when I'm off work I go and get them grass shrimp (preferably) or tiny guppies.

YUM!

I'm thinking about adding crickets to their diet...

pes142
11-27-2009, 07:33 PM
check out nanfa.org, and their forum. Its a website devoted entirely to captive care of U.S. natives.