PDA

View Full Version : Water Circulation

JENUINE
10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I Have A 20 Gallon Tank W/2 Filters, Heater And @14" Bubble Wand, Artificial Plants. Does The 1" Fish Rule Still Apply When Additional Filtration Has Been Added? I Presently Have A Pair Of Swords, 1 Cory, 4 Harlequin Rasboro, 1 Large Apple Snail, 1 Ramshorn, And 4 Golden Apple Snails. According To The 1" Rule, I'm Over The Limit, But Fish Had Been Just Fine In A 14 Gallon Tank-just Last Week Set Up 20 Gallon With All The "stuff" From The 14 And All Perimeters Look Fine. Can This Tank Sustain A Couple Of More Fish?

robflanker
10-14-2009, 03:26 PM
The 1-inch fish rule almost never ever ever applies.

You need to get at least 4 more corys - they are a schooler and need to be in numbers of at least 5.

Same with harlequin rasboras.

I dunno anything about swords or ramshorns so ill leave those to someone else.

Lab_Rat
10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
The apple snails are going to put off a huge bioload, they are very dirty snails. If I were you I would return the cory, like Rob said, they need to be in schools of 6+ to be happy. If you do this then I would add two more rasboras so they are in a school and then you are fully stocked. Depending on how big the apple snails are you may be overstocked.

rich311k
10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
What sex are the swords. You should have more girls than boys. The fellas are hard drivers. The corys would be happier in a group but that could over stock the tank.

JENUINE
10-14-2009, 05:45 PM
my 2 swords (brother/sister) are leftover from mom/pop of last year, who have since gone to fishy heaven. all of above listed fish have been togeher for at least six months (except golden apple snails, which were hatched in July). Why do "schooling" fish need specific numbers to be "happy?"

robflanker
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
You know how you see fish swimming around in groups in the sea - they are schools or shoals.... and thus chose to be in those groups as part of their natural state.

Thus, any fish that does this naturally wants to do this in a tank. Hence your cory is a schooler. If you google, corys in the wild, you'll see hundreds of them in a school. Same with rasboras.