PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed your arowana?

hybridguy
10-14-2009, 10:33 AM
What do you feed your arowana?

Crispy
10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
There are a few arowana food threads if you look around. Their diet will vary depending on their size. For babies it is best to use crickets and carnivore sticks. At about the 8 inch mark they can start eating superworms, fish fillets, market shrimp, etc. A good varied diet is key for these fish.

mos90
10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
my silver is about 9 inches now. i also have 3-5 inch payara. i feed my payara 2 inch fathead minnows. i add about 24 of them a week. id rather my arow not eat live but he does love to eat these minnows. i also feed him arow sticks and frozen krill. he also likes to eat blood worms. if he is not full from eating minnows he likes market shrmp also, takes them right out of my hand.

i did feed him crickets until he was about 5 inches. and blood worms.

i also have a 20-gallon feeder tank that im raising platies. about 100 of them. these will eventually be food for arow and payara.

Demjor19
10-15-2009, 04:40 PM
There are a few arowana food threads if you look around. Their diet will vary depending on their size. For babies it is best to use crickets and carnivore sticks. At about the 8 inch mark they can start eating superworms, fish fillets, market shrimp, etc. A good varied diet is key for these fish.

I agree! This has also been answered in several other threads.

hybridguy
10-15-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I just tried the super worms and he failed several times. I Then tried shrimp. Is it ok to feed the frozen shrimp that has been cooked?

mos90
10-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I just tried the super worms and he failed several times. I Then tried shrimp. Is it ok to feed the frozen shrimp that has been cooked?

ive never tried superworms but frozen cooked market shrimp is fine. i do that once in a while. he loves it. eats right out of my hand.

Demjor19
10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Shrimp should be non-cooked. Cooked shimp lose more of the nutritional value.

hybridguy
10-17-2009, 11:04 PM
thanks for the imput.thumbs2:

Crispy
10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
use raw shrimp. cooked is no good.

mos90
10-23-2009, 07:38 PM
didnt know that.