PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed your redtail cat?

hybridguy
10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
What kinds of food besides feeder goldfish do you feed your redtail?

MCHRKiller
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Feeder fish are horrible for these large predators, they offer little nutritional value and are just waiting to introduce disease into your tank. I feed my large fish primarily on raw seafood, and Hikari Massivore. Depending on the size of your cats...you may want to start them on Hikari Sinking Carnivore, as the Massivore is a pretty good size pellet. My TSN also really enjoys Hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold. But on the seafood chop it up to pieces easily swallowed by the fish, I use raw shrimp and some kind of cheap lean fish. On thicker fish I sometimes like to cut a pocket into the cube and stuff in some spinach, I just use frozen and thawed stuff for this purpose. In the wild these fish would be hunting down fish, so they would be getting some trace amounts of vegatation in the gut contents of the fish they ate. So giving them this occasional green will help improve digestion and coloration. Also soaking your raw foods in a good quality food soak such as Seachem Nourish or Selcon can really show some good results in overall fish health as well as feeding response :22:

toddnbecka
10-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Annoying small children, right after they touch the electric eel... :14: :hmm3grin2orange: