PDA

View Full Version : Dominic's 125 gallon tank

domjd05
10-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I've been saying for almost a year now that I wanted to get a 125 gallon tank to build my dream tank.. a planted discus tank.

Well, here's the beginning of it...

I picked this tank up about a week ago from craigslist for $150, tank and stand. The tank has a few cracks in the trim, but nothing that will prevent this tank from holding water! Overall I think it was a great deal.

This tank is going to be a long term project, so I thought it would be a great idea to take pictures and chronicle my progress of transforming this tank into my dream tank!

Some future plans:

1.) DIY Wet/dry filtration in 35g sump - Tank's already got a built-in overflow and plumbing came with it, I've made the DIY wet/dry filter, and the 35g tank/sump is ready. I just need a pump and filter media and it's complete (pictures coming soon)

For my filter media I plan to use a filter mesh cut to fit the drip plate to catch any large debris from clogging drip plate

Inside the filter I will use pot scrubbies, phospure, and bio-balls.. some with carbon, some without.

Eventually I plan to add an XP3 to this tank as well

2.) DIY Lighting, I plan to build a new top to this tank, and will put 3 4' fluorescent light fixtures built into the new top.. should give my tank about 2.2WPG

3.)For substrate I'll be using eco-complete, probably 2-3'' worth of it.. topped off with white pool filter sand.

4.) LIVE plants, for my background: Vallisneria gigantea and stargrass. Heavily planted background, mid-ground and foreground will have some plants but not as much as back of tank.

5.)For fish, at first I'll simply be swapping my angel, keyholes, acaras, cardinals and cories from my 46g.. but this tank will become a discus tank once it has been set up and established for a while.

6.) for decorations, mostly driftwood and some slate, I may make a "cave" out of slate and put it in the back corner of tank, not sure yet as that's where one of my returns for the sump is.

Any other plans/progress will be posted, thanks for viewing!!

Northernguy
10-14-2009, 01:55 AM
It'll be nice to see the drastic change take place! lolthumbs2:
Thats going to be a nice tank!

domjd05
10-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Today I toyed with the idea of making the tank into a front/calvus tank, went to my LFS, turns out, fronts and calvus (in my area) are twice as expensive as discus! plus, since I have naturally soft water and a lower PH.. I think I'm just destined to be SA junkie

domjd05
10-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Brought the tank in from the garage today as it's getting below freezing at night now and it's pretty cold working on it in the garage at night lol. Set it up in the living room.. it's definitely the elephant in the room lol, it makes my entertainment center look like a coffee table hah.

Bought my pump at Petsmart today. I was going to order it online, but I was surprised to find it very close to Dr. F&S's price online in petsmart. I went to Petco first, because they always have a better selection of fish.. but their supplies are through the roof.. they wanted $69 dollars for the same exact pump.

Dug out and cleaned up my 35g that I'll be using for the sump.. put it under the stand and starting "mocking up" my plumbing.. I ran some water through my overflow down into the DIY wetdry, into the 35g sump.. and man is it loud.. but right now the wet dry filter has no media in it.. hopefully that will quiet it down.. and the 35g will be half full which should cut down on the water draining/faucet like sound effects lol. QuietOne 2200 pump that I bought is indeed quiet, and at 540gph it pumps some water! Also think it will be much quieter with the doors shut on the stand.

speaking of the stand, my next step will be completing the mock up of plumbing, then re staining one part of the stand, and replacing magnets and hinges on the stand.

Hopefully pics up tomorrow...

bushwhacker
10-17-2009, 07:49 PM
this is tomorrow wheres the pics??

domjd05
10-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Right here my friend thumbs2:

Sorry they are just cellphone pics.. (motorola cellphone at that..) Just a pic of the DIY wet/dry, and the pump.. the tubing going to the return in the tank is clear.. so I didn't get a picture of that.. but its there! lol. Had to do some more siliconing around the bulkhead for the return.. that pump is pretty powerful I hope that wet/dry filter can put out as much water as the pump does lol, or I may be bringing it back! Here's the link I used for the concept of my wet/dry.. you can't see inside obviously but there's 3 chambers inside.

basic wet/dry filter concept...
http://www.gerasimov.net/wet-dry_main-chamber.html

As you can see I didn't just set the drip tray on the bioballs as this guy did.. that seemed to shoddy for me lol, I also built some compartments inside using plastic egg-crate, and added some height to the bucket (hard to explain if you look at pic carefully you'll see how I did it) because other wise the water wouldn't be dripping it'd just be.. soaking.. through the media inside if it was lower.

Water test once again tomorrow when silicone dries, I'm hoping I wont need a less powerful pump. (this one is 580gph).. I'll get try to get some pics up tomorrow also..

domjd05
10-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Filling up the tank all the way for the first time.. right now, thought I'd check the forum while it fills up (takes a while lol) Gunna run my sump and see if I need to a get a smaller pump... I'll post an update when I'm finished my trial run.

domjd05
10-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Had to go and change out pumps, the one I bought was too big and had no flow adjustment on it, found a tetra brand one at lowes for roughly the same price/gph rating + it had a flow adjustment.. had to drill more holes in drip tray and so far everything is working great! My next task is to find ways to quiet down the wet dry filter

domjd05
10-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Didn't do too much to the tank this week, changed out the hinges on the stand, put new magnets and door knobs on as well, it looks much better now.

For next week hopefully I'll be able to order my filter media for the wet/dry system.

Here's a look at what I'll be getting...

for the Wet/Dry:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=12742&large=/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_21228_30358DZ.jpg

^The "solid" ones

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+14727&pcatid=14727

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4140+4337&pcatid=4337

for the Mechanical filtration I will have the nylon pillow fluff type stuff in the drip tray.

Will also have 2 penguin 350's for the chemical filtration running this stuff in it:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+10473+4200&pcatid=4200

hybridguy
10-26-2009, 03:16 AM
So where do u live? U say frontosas are twice as much as discuss, i might can work out a deal if u want, i have lots of frontosas, PM me and let me know.

domjd05
10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
I live in Central Maine.. way up there, lol. I think the prices are a consequence of that.. my LFS buys from a warehouse in Mass. and discus are just more common around there I guess. It's really hard to find unique african cichlids around here, but the SA's are relatively easy.

For now I'm set on doing a discus tank, but your frontosas are beautiful and I would definitely consider doing business with you in the future if I decide to do a front. tank, thanks!

Ordered bio-balls and phospure today, when that arrives my DIY wet/dry will be fully operational (filtration- CHECK)

.. next item on the list is to build my canopy/lights, or buy my eco complete.. (going to need 5 bags worth probably ..ah..)

domjd05
11-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Props to Lady Hobbs for showing me this stuff:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

Will be using that, a mixture of gravel, and probably black sand on top for substrate.

I've decided on Vals for the background plant.

Should be getting my filter media anyday now, so pics of the wet/dry up and running should be coming soon...

domjd05
11-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Got my shipment of filter media today, got the wet/dry up and running, so far so good! Here's some pics of the wet/dry, I'm still going to add some porous rock type media eventually...

The system is a little louder than I expected it to be, but I think with a cover on top of the wet/dry and the sump it should quiet down quite a bit.

Crispy
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice simple setup. Glad it's working good for you so far. More and more sumps are popping up on the forum. :ssmile:

domjd05
11-07-2009, 10:36 PM
It's simple, inexpensive, and is working very well. I was going to guy glass pieces to make the whole 35g sump into a wet/dry but I just didn't want to do something that I'd end up tearing apart later if I ever wanted to use it for something else.

domjd05
11-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Took apart the sump today and pretty much reconfigured the plumbing completely, seems much more efficient now, and the sump is almost completely inaudible now! My 46g bowfront that I have next to the 125 is almost twice as loud as the 125 lol. So the tank is running, I put 2 200w heaters in the sump, gunna let the water warm up, then start a fishless cycle.

Currently the tank is "topless".. found an all-glass versatop on F&S's website.. 72"x18", for $55, seems like a good deal.

Next up is the substrate.

domjd05
11-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Today I went and had some glass cut for the hood, $20 for the glass and a few bucks for some cheap hinges and handles, looks good so far..

I decided that the 425gph pump wasn't enough, and since it was only a few bucks more for a larger model pump, I returned the 425.. bought a 550 (yeah I know BIIGGG upgrade...jk) brought it home and set it up, I think it may be just me.. but it seems like its pumping LESS then the 425.. great eh? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm gunna take it back next week and get the 700gph, that should do it lol.

domjd05
11-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Oh yeah, I also put a black background on the tank.

Crispy
11-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Sounds like it's coming along nicely... what are you planning on stocking?

domjd05
11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Sounds like it's coming along nicely... what are you planning on stocking?

Discus, cories, maybe a BN pleco or two... possibly cardinals if I decide to get REALLY fancy.:11:

domjd05
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
returned the ill-performing 55gph pump I bought yesterday and bought a 750gph pump to replace it, NOW we're in business! I had to lower the return so it was under water a few inches because the water running out of it was making too much noise lol, now I am happy with the filtration, the top is done, but I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy some larger heaters... I have 2 200w heaters that don't seem to be keeping the temp up to well (temp is 76 right now)

Water is cloudy from the fishless cycle still, no sign of nitrites yet though...

Crispy
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM
returned the ill-performing 55gph pump I bought yesterday and bought a 750gph pump to replace it, NOW we're in business! I had to lower the return so it was under water a few inches because the water running out of it was making too much noise lol, now I am happy with the filtration, the top is done, but I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy some larger heaters... I have 2 200w heaters that don't seem to be keeping the temp up to well (temp is 76 right now)

Water is cloudy from the fishless cycle still, no sign of nitrites yet though...

Those heaters should be plenty. I only ran a single 250w on my 130. Now I run 2x 250w in my sump for the 190. Never had any problems with temps.

domjd05
11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Those heaters should be plenty. I only ran a single 250w on my 130. Now I run 2x 250w in my sump for the 190. Never had any problems with temps.

Strange.. I think the water flowing through the wet/dry is having a considerable effect on the temp (its getting cold in Maine, house temp this time of year is usually 62-68 degrees F.

Just curious, what temp did you keep your tank at? For my discus, with plants, I'm shooting for a solid 82F.

The heaters are in the tank for now, for the initial warm up, but once my target temp is reached, I plan to relocate them into the Sump.

Update, I have 2 200watts, and 1 250watt heaters going now... I think I may just start boiling some water and dumping it in to get this show on the road :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
PMed... keep us updated...

domjd05
11-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Well I had started my fishless cycle, but as I was about half-way through I started having second thoughts about the ammonia I had bought, it had surficant in it, and foamed when I shook it (although there were no other listed ingredients)

Went out and bought some that didn't foam, and didn't list surficant as an ingredient, drained the tank and the sump, wiped it all out, and started all over.

OH YEAH, I forgot, at home depot, or lowes, if you guys go in the fountain/pond section you can find dechlorinators there at a good price! At wal-mart, an 8oz bottle of start right is like 6 bucks I believe, and you need to use a cap-full for 10 gallons... with the stuff I found at home depot, its a 16oz bottle, you only use a cap-full for 20 gallons, and it's the same price! It says it removes chlorine, chloramides, some heavy metals, buffers PH, all good stuff, gunna see how it works out!

Went and bought some glass, and made my own glass hoods for the tank, I think they came out pretty good for my first time ever cutting glass lol.

After I was finished I realized I should've asked them to finish the edges for me, but I just took some clear airline tubing, cut a slit all the way down it, put a few globs of aquarium silicone on the edges, and slid the airline tubing on! It looks and works wonderfully! Sounds kind of redneck when I first thought of it, but it ended up working out well...

Anyway, here's some pics of the tank set up in my living room (yes it's running, just cant' tell from the pic), a shot of ONE of the hoods (the other side didn't have enough light for my cell to take a worthwhile picture), and just for the heck of it, heres a shot of some of my 46g inhabitants posing for me! They will be occupying my 125 once it is finished cycling- just to keep it cycled- until I am ready to get discus (this summer)

Oh yeah, see if you can spot the illusive khuli loach! lol

domjd05
11-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Started to work on the canopy today, pics will be up when its completed.

tetra
11-17-2009, 04:20 AM
impressive, I cant wait to see how it turns out.

domjd05
11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Got the canopy built, and one of the lights installed. As you can see in the pics, I had to make it so one of the lights folded up, in order to clear the glass hood I have underneath :P, the other 2 lights will be installed soon...

As you can see my 46G has become a storage unit lol...

Will condition and stain the wood next week, I think, unless I decide to buy the lights instead :P

I don't do any wood working, but I'm happy with the way this turned out, it definitely will make my tank look nicer once it's stained!

Crispy
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Lookin' good. :fish:

domjd05
11-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Tank is pretty much on hold till after christmas :22:

Northernguy
12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Great thread!
Youtr tank looks great.
Love the canopy.Hows the sump working out?

Crispy
12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Your canopy looks very similar to mine. Great job! Any stocking plans yet?

domjd05
12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
The sump is working very well! I'm glad everyone convinced me to do it instead of buying a canister.

-I plan to stock the tank with discus, cardinals,cories and khuli loaches

Tank is almost finished fishless cycling.. Pretty much on hold until after the holidays lol.

domjd05
12-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Well I haven't really done anything to the tank this month due to a very long fishless cycle, but its finally cycled now. I'm going to do a WC and put my blue acaras in it to keep it cycled. Christmas has really taken a bite out of my aquarium budget so hopefully in a few weeks I'll be back to work on it thumbs2:

domjd05
01-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Just bumping the thread, getting ready for another semester of college/ helping my wife find a new job, among many other things, just haven't had time for the tank build, but hopefully in a week or two I'll finish up my lighting.

Also, I've had TERRIBLE luck finding black sand.

domjd05
02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Lighting is complete and my black planted substrate is on its way! Pics when its all set up

domjd05
02-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Got my substrate in finally!
This tank has come along way from when I bought it, so far I've done everything DIY:

-35 sump
-wet dry filter
-canopy
-glass hoods
-lights

The tank looks good with the substrate I chose, I bought it from aquariumplants.com - I will try and post some pics tomorrow, theres still not much to see, just a few fish from my 46g that I moved over and some plastic plants.

Now that the substrate and lighting is complete, its time to start picking out some plants!

domjd05
02-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Well here's a picture update of the tank so far.. Sump/wet dry is performing wonderfully!

Lighting and canopy is all complete
Just got my black plant substrate in... so far the decos and plants you are looking at are all just kind of randomly placed in the tank until my live plants are ordered :fish:

lowlight
02-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Nice job that will look great when set up is complete.

domjd05
03-11-2010, 01:07 AM
After a bit of a fiasco getting my plants, I've finally got them in!

I have to admit, I bought more than I anticipated, I almost think I got too many, lets see what you think:

Water is a bit cloudy due to adding more substrate without rinsing it :P

Also added 4 more skunk cories, and bought 10 1/2'' cardinals.

I'm raising the cardinals in a 25g I just set up especially to grow them out in, I hope to get 20 more, and add them to the tank once they are near fully grown.

domjd05
03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Starting to see some growth in my plants, even despite having no lights for a few days to cut down on green algae!

All three of my bulbs have sprouted, but this ones really taken off! Been about 3 days since the fish sprout and its already got leaves!

Some of my cabomba is flowering, and some growth on my ludwigia(sp?) as well

Zilla
03-20-2010, 03:25 PM
What kind of bulbs did you get? I want to try a water onion which I believe is started from a bulb, but I need to research it some more.

On a completely different note, I was lurking elsewhere yesterday and somebody got hitchhikers of a different sort from Aquariumplants.com. Instead of getting pesky snails, they got leeches. Yuck!

domjd05
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
What kind of bulbs did you get? I want to try a water onion which I believe is started from a bulb, but I need to research it some more.

On a completely different note, I was lurking elsewhere yesterday and somebody got hitchhikers of a different sort from Aquariumplants.com. Instead of getting pesky snails, they got leeches. Yuck!

Oh boy, let me go look at their site to see if I can find the names of those bulbs...

I only ordered 2, but they gave me 3, all 3 have sprouted. The one in the picture has grown the most, by far.

Here we go, Red Tiger Lotus

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Tiger_Lotus_Red_Nymphaea_zenkeri_p/begin06.htm

Have only found 1 single snail, but it's possible that it came from the plant I bought from my LFS that was riddled with them.

I noticed 90% of my plants from aquariumplants.com were packedged in a floridaaquatics wrap- which is a giant wholesaler from...florida.

So that explains why aquarumplants.com tends to be slow... they backorder everything, and only get one shipment a week... they claim to be a nursery, but it's clear only a very small portion of what they sell they have actually grown.

Zilla
03-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Those will be nice when they grow in. thumbs2:

I don't think I'll have room for one of those in my 20, but I'm going to look into it. Thanks for looking. =)

domjd05
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm sure one could work, when it gets too big you'll just have to get a bigger tank ;p

domjd05
05-09-2010, 03:22 AM
been a while since my last update.. been very busy these days..

Some of the plants died off.. mostly the free plants he threw in as a result of screwing up my order.. but oh well.. my cabomba has grown over a foot, and my tiger lotus bulb has gone crazy!

Here's a pic of the "action"..

the picture doesn't do it justice.. the biggest leaves are almost 6'' by 6'' across, very very cool looking plants, and I haven't had to do anything care-wise for it.. I'm not running ferts, just good substrate and 2wpg lighting.

Today I decided I will not be doing a Discus tank, due to the location of the tank, the amount of traffic we've had in our house lately, and the lack of time I'd have to take care of them... someday I will do them again, but this just doesn't appear to be the right time to make that sort of investment.

So, instead of doing a Discus tank, today, I went out and bought some rainbowfish! These guys are great! Sure, they take a while to color up, but if you google or youtube rainbowfish tanks, you'll see what I'm talking about.. I was talking with my wife about it, and they just seem to be better suited to our needs.. they are active (won't hide when company or my 2 yr old is tapping the glass...) and very colorful, and overall I just feel that they are underrated fish!

So far the tank is stocked with:

6 skunk cories
10 cardinals
1 BN pleco
4 Australian rainbows
1 boesman rainbow
1 tourqouise rainbow
.. more rainbows, cardinals, possible some angels to come!

Does anyone think I could get away with a pair of rams in this tank?

Also, if you look in the previous pictures of my plants, you will be able to see that my red cobomba although much taller, has lost its color... why is this?

domjd05
05-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Trimmed my cabomba and thinned out a few more plants I haven't been happy with..

Found a tourqouse rainbow and got a few more boesmanis!
Also got a red new guinea male, but its got ick from the LFS it was in.. so thats in QT right now

And oh yeah! My pressurized co2 system is on its way! In a week or so I should have some major updates once it arrives.

domjd05
06-02-2010, 12:17 AM
No new fish, but I have added a pressurized co2 system to the tank! Have had it up and running for 3 days now, no real results yet..

I've been running it at about 1bps, just to be safe, and my PH is been fairly stable at 6.4 (on the low side for rainbows)..

The kit I bought came with a glass diffuser, I'm not happy with it.. can anyone recommend a good diffuser that doesn't cost over $50?

How long does it normally take to see results with co2? I'm getting impatient! lol

Yes I'm aware I need to get some pictures up.. this thread is extremely boring now..

Lab_Rat
06-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Need new pics! And I think you could do a nice colony of rams in a tank that size. Depending on your pH, you could go with GBR (if acidic) or bolivians (if neutral-slightly alkaline). I'd probably add a colony of about 8 rams since you don't have too much taking up the bottom area.

For a diffuser you could try an inline one. Rex Grigg has instructions on making one iirc.

domjd05
06-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I forgot to post that I did pick up two blue rams a few weeks ago, they are doing great! They think they are one of the rainbows! lol

I also got a large Red Irian Rainbow..

Ordered some more tourqs, hope they come in this week..

My camera on my blackberry just doesn't do the tank justice, so I've been waiting until I can borrow my sisters digital camera.. or I may just go get one myself, if I can ever stop buying fish stuff...lol.

I'll check out the diffuser, thanks for the idea!

good hear that I can put some more rams in there, I'll have to keep an eye out for some!

domjd05
06-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, having that many plants, with no co2 for a few months really took a toll on the plants, I hope these pictures aren't too much of a dissapointment!

I've had to remove many plants, and some are still on the mend, so these pictures aren't the best but here we go:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_077.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=077.jpg)

domjd05
06-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Ok.. so I went to edit this to add more pictures.. but I used up my 15 minute timeframe in the process.. I'll have to add the rest later..

domjd05
06-13-2010, 12:06 AM
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_074.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=074.jpg)
My Australian Bow.. flash kind of wiped out his colors, but he has a beautiful blue tint to his body..

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_071.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=071.jpg)
In the middle of a WC...

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_070.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=070.jpg)
Good pic of my tourqs...

domjd05
06-13-2010, 12:06 AM
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_061.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=061.jpg)
Red Irian Again..

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_060.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=060.jpg)
Messy.. in the middle of a WC

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_059.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=059.jpg)
My sump.. excuse the mess.. don't know why the pump is tilted lol..
800GPH water pump acts as a co2 diffuser-
Marineland check valve on top of the pump
UV sterilizer in back
DIY wet/dry filter (the hardware buckets lol)
Not pretty but it gets the job done well!

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/th_058.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/?action=view&current=058.jpg)
Pressurized co2 system, of course they gave me the crappiest co2 bottle they had..

Keep in mind I just trimmed all my cabomba, if you look in some previous pictures you'll see they were reaching the surface lol..

Pictures don't do the tank justice, as with all the daylight in the room, the flash on the camera (was unable to turn it off..) and tank lights were on as well.. I'll try to get some better onces tonight!

domjd05
06-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Wife took some great pictures for me today! Looks like you'll be able to get a good look at this tank after all!!

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3516.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3516.jpg)
Good "long view" of the tank

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3515.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3515.jpg)
Another Long view
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3513.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3513.jpg)
One of my Turquoise Rainbows

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3511.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3511.jpg)
Blurry boesmani.. you get the idea lol

domjd05
06-17-2010, 01:32 AM
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3508.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3508.jpg)
Pictures were taken just as lights came on in the morning.. you can see the new growth since the addition of co2 (only been 2 weeks!) is starting to unfold (it does this everynight)

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3507.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3507.jpg)
This used to be covered in algae, until I bought my bristlenose :)

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3505.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3505.jpg)
Tiger Lotus bulb has been suffering since the addition of co2.. I suspect the ph swings were too much for it.. It used to have 10-15 of these beautiful leaves.. I'm down to 5 now.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3504.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3504.jpg)
Fish and plants

domjd05
06-17-2010, 01:33 AM
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3498.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3498.jpg)
view from side of tank

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3497.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3497.jpg)
View from side, again

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3496.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3496.jpg)
Side again

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/th_100_3495.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/domjd05/good125pics/?action=view&current=100_3495.jpg)
And again!

Hope you like the tank, it's slowly coming along since the addition of co2, NOT pictured here is my large red male irian rainbow, in the posts above you will see some pictures of him.. he is in QT for an ANCHOR WORM.. yikes.. I suspect it came in on some plants or perhaps some fish because all of these are relatively new arrivals (except the cories and cardinals)

Lab_Rat
06-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Tank is looking good!

EmmanuelJB
06-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Nice looking Rainbows!!

domjd05
08-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Bumping thread.. had a massive red beard algae outbreak.. did a total overhaul of tank.. (removed everything-even substrate), lost a lot of plants.. getting more plants soon, pics coming.

domjd05
10-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Well I hate to say it but I'm afraid this will probably be the last update of this thread, the tank is going to be torn down and condensed into a new 75g that I just got a great deal on. Planning on selling this tank, if anyone is in Maine and interested, let me know!

New 75g Journal starting soon!

rookie
10-16-2010, 12:38 AM
im sorry to hear that i really enjoyed seeing the progress you have made. i went through a simalar journey with my 110G. I just trimed everything and its like i took my tank got a really bad hair cut lol. what do you thing caused the algea problem

domjd05
10-16-2010, 02:24 AM
This tank had its issues with algae but it's not the reason it's being torn down. The tank is older, the 75 was brand new and a great deal. I am also tired of getting on a chair everytime I need to get into the tank. I'm also tired of having such a mammoth tank right in the living room haha.. the 75g will be right at home! I admit it's not often you hear an aquarist say smaller is better, but in my case I'm quite sure it will be.

Thanks to all who commented and took part in the thread, who knows, maybe I'll keep the 125, strip it down- resilicone and set it up for salt-water.. OOPS, I mean.. I'm selling it.. We'll see what the wife thinks:hmm3grin2orange:

A lot of the tank is actually going to wind up in the 75g... my DIY canopy is simply going to be cut 2' shorter to fit the 75, and painted black to match the new stand.

Currently in the process of making new DIY glass hood.. I'll have to start a new thread lol.