PDA

View Full Version : Aponogeton flowering

BirdOfPray
10-13-2009, 08:53 PM
In my 30-gallon tank with ridiculously low lighting, I have an aponogeton ulvaceus that I started as a bulb. It's now almost 2 feet high with tons of leaves, and last week it grew a ridiculously long stalk (it curves around the surface of my hex tank) and is now flowering. I need to take pictures, I know.

My question is, what should I expect next? I did some reading when I first got the bulb and there was a lot of conflicting information out there, but it sounds like my aponogeton will go into a rest period and essentially die off. Is that correct? If so, what kind of timeline should I expect? That thing is most of the plant cover available in the tank, so if it's going to die off I'd like to get another one started so my tank won't look too bare. If it does do the rest period thing, what exactly should I be doing with it? I didn't do a good job of researching this thing before I put it into the tank, but so far I've been really pleased with it, especially considering the lighting I have.

smaug
10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
In a warm water tank it wont really die back like it should but continue growing till it uses up all its bulbs reserve,all the ones I have had do this became very rough looking and eventually died totally.If you want them to go through there natural rest period ,it needs to be put in a cool water tank so it can rest for a month or so.After that it can be put back in a warm tank where it will start over again.Is this a bulb that came in a blister pack?Are the bulbs spikey with just 2 petals?You can either leave them or trim them back to the plant before they hit the surface,if this is done the main plant stays fuller and the plant will last longer.

BirdOfPray
10-14-2009, 03:04 AM
The bulb came packaged in a plastic bag with cardboard folded over the top -- my LFS sells them. The guy told me I could pay them $15 for the plant or buy a $4 bulb that would be the same size as the plant they'd sell me in 3-4 weeks.

Yes, the flower looks like two spikes with prickly white stuff on them. Guess I caught it too late to trim it this time, but I'll try that if it blooms again. Will it, or is it just a one-time thing unless it gets the rest period? That stalk grew like crazy -- I could almost watch it grow. The rest of the plant grew quickly too, but this was even faster. Crazy stuff.

If I don't have a coldwater tank, is there another way to rest it? Like in a bucket of water or anything? If not, I guess I can go get another bulb and let it get started in anticipation of this one dying.

Thanks for all the information!

Rue
10-14-2009, 03:06 AM
I can't help at all...but I'd love to see a picture!

smaug
10-14-2009, 07:36 PM
The bulb came packaged in a plastic bag with cardboard folded over the top -- my LFS sells them. The guy told me I could pay them $15 for the plant or buy a $4 bulb that would be the same size as the plant they'd sell me in 3-4 weeks.

Yes, the flower looks like two spikes with prickly white stuff on them. Guess I caught it too late to trim it this time, but I'll try that if it blooms again. Will it, or is it just a one-time thing unless it gets the rest period? That stalk grew like crazy -- I could almost watch it grow. The rest of the plant grew quickly too, but this was even faster. Crazy stuff.

If I don't have a coldwater tank, is there another way to rest it? Like in a bucket of water or anything? If not, I guess I can go get another bulb and let it get started in anticipation of this one dying.

Thanks for all the information!
Look up more info about there resting period on google.Im a bit fuzzy about that part really.I always just let them run there course then grew new ones.It will bloom all the time if it likes your tank.