PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Clown Pleco

King Tut
10-13-2009, 01:39 AM
I was taking some fry to the LFS yesterday and looking at anything new he had and he had a clown pleco. I really want to put a pleco in my 45 tall but have not been sure what to put in there. He told me these will only get to be about 5 - 6 inches long. I have never had a pleco so this is all new to me. I read in the info that they like to eat roots. Does this literally mean plant roots? I have some cabomba and nana anubias in this tank but it has only been planted for a short time. Is it a prereq that the tank be well planted? Is there a way to supplement his diet? I have sinking pellets and wafers for my Oto's and Cory's. Can I use those? What about fresh veggies like zucchini or squash or cuccumber? Any advice would be great. I am in no hurry to get it since I know he can get more easily. Thanks in advance for any help.

smaug
10-13-2009, 01:44 AM
They like wood.They are a neat little plec,if you have room for him and a nice hunk of driftwood or mopani,get him.I have had one for years.

Northernguy
10-13-2009, 01:50 AM
They are very attractive plecos.
I also like briste nose plecos.I find mine to be really cool looking with his big bristles.He does hide a lot though.He doesn't eat the plants or roots.
They also stay small.Under 5".
Here is some info on them.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=734

toddnbecka
10-13-2009, 04:14 AM
There are actually 2 different species commonly sold as clown pleco's. One eats driftwood, the other doesn't. Neither one will bother live plants.

rookie
10-13-2009, 04:40 AM
a coworker of mine has 2 clown plecos and he said they are cool but he dont see them often. i got a few bn plecos from toddnbecka and they are great and i always see them. but yea IMO you should always have some type of driftwood with any pleco. my bn's love it

smaug
10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
There are actually 2 different species commonly sold as clown pleco's. One eats driftwood, the other doesn't. Neither one will bother live plants.
I have one of the others that can be confused for a clown.It is a tocanton tiger.Looks mostly like a clown but not as prickly.