PDA

View Full Version : Worried, think may have been sold a common not a b/n

bluebluecow
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi all

Im a bit worried about one of my plecs, I recently brought 2 juvinile b/n both brown, one of thenm has the squat rounded shape of a b/n, although very tiny,im pretty certain it will be a b/n it has no bristles yet. the other is about 2 inch long but has more of a pointy snout, and isnt so squat and round, no signs of bristles, so a bit cond#cerned it may be a common, is there any very eay way to tell the diff, or will I have to wait and see, Ive had them bot about 4wks now, there hasnt been much growth in the bigger one. The rason Im a bit concerned is I then brought an albino b/n the same size as the big brown one, and it is squat and round and a few bristles starting to apper

I will try and get pics if it behaves

liz

violet
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
good luck on the pics .. took me forever to get my little one to sit still. I don't know any other way then to wait and see what happens.. Hopefully if you end up with the wrong one you can take him back and switch him out. Otherwise you might just have a different place for him :) good luck hon I can't wait to see the pic :19:

Northernguy
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Female BNs have no bristles,only the males do.
Pics will help! lol

Denis Goulding
10-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Not always the case, i have had some a while but lots of folks on different web sites have bred these for years and some females have small bridtles, have seen pics to prove this..
The stomach is rounded and goes below the pelvic fins seems the only real give away but the fish has to be semi mature, just feed it well and wait a month, if u get a pic i can help..

Rue
10-15-2009, 04:52 AM
My female BN (the last time I saw her) didn't have any bristles...but if I ever see her again I'll look for bumps...

morgangallow
11-06-2009, 09:20 AM
if the store is close, you could try talking to the store where you got them about an exchange to alleviate any concerns, or check out the tank where your's originally came from to look for obvious commons in the same tank, but after this much time... or another lfs in the area may be able to make aan exchange for a new bn. probly not 100%.. im not sure on prices in your area.. but might be worth a shot?

from your description, i lean towards you being correct. but without pictures, and someone more knowledgeable than I am to inspect them, that really means zilch. time will tell you what's going for sure. but if i were you i would try to exchange asap. that way you can be sure you are getting what you want. (hopefully)
hope i helped and good luck to you! :thumbsup:

scatz
11-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Females can have bristles, but only along the line of the top lip, males will grow branched bristles covering the top lip and nose, up to his eyes.
there are also subtle differences in body and head shape between males and females, it might simply be that you have a pair instead of 2 different fish.
but a photo is the only real way to be sure