PDA

View Full Version : Latest batch of BN fry

toddnbecka
10-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Since the last of the brown BN fry (male was shipped out weeks ago) have reached 1-1.25", they're large enough to move to growout tanks and ship out. Rough count is over 100 brown and about 50 albino. Some of the browns were left in the breeding tank, all but a couple of the albino's were netted out. Here's a couple pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/P1030420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/P1030415.jpg

On a side note, I picked up 2 whiptail cats at the CCA meeting auction yesterday. I didn't get any pics of them yet. They're not as colorful as the red lizards, but do grow a good bit larger. I dropped them into the 75 with the breeding pair of chanchito's and 6 Synodontis multi's. After several 2" BN juvies disappeared in that tank I figured I needed something larger to clean up the algae until a few of the BN grow large enough to take over.

When I dumped the load of albino fry into a 29 I found one of the 4 leopard frogs in that tank recently deceased. No idea why; it had a well-filled belly and didn't appear beat up. I moved the remaining 3 from that tank into the 55 with the other 4 frogs, 3 L-204's, 5 polka-dot loaches, a couple Synodontis cats (juvie eupterus and a petricola), a single BN juvie, and 2 L. curviceps. That tank may be overloaded with bottom-dwellers, but with all the driftwood in the tank they're rarely visible.

Lab_Rat
10-12-2009, 07:05 AM
That's a ton of baby plecos! Congrats on the babies, they look great.

Goodbye
10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the fry! thumbs2:

Crispy
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Sweet fry!! Are you gonna try to breed the leopard frogs?

Northernguy
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I wish I could get a female delivered! lol
Its way too cold out for that now!:11:

Congrats on the fry!:22:

mattsbottleofjager
10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Congratz on all the fry thumbs2:

rich311k
10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Wow that is a load of fry. Congrats!

toddnbecka
10-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Sweet fry!! Are you gonna try to breed the leopard frogs?
When they matue I'm hoping they'll spawn. The L-10a look to be next in line, then maybe the L-333's. The super red BN have started, but I was only able to save a single fry from their first spawn. It happened in the 75 growout with the 2" cichlid juvies...

Crispy
10-13-2009, 10:52 AM
When they matue I'm hoping they'll spawn. The L-10a look to be next in line, then maybe the L-333's. The super red BN have started, but I was only able to save a single fry from their first spawn. It happened in the 75 growout with the 2" cichlid juvies...

Good to see someone having some success at breeding plecos! thumbs2:

Demjor19
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Very cool! Congrats!

Red
10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Congrats on the fry!

Rue
10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice! Thanks for posting pics!thumbs2:

toddnbecka
10-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Good to see someone having some success at breeding plecos! thumbs2:

Methinks it helps to start with tank-bred stock, and raise a group together. Wild-caught fish take longer to adjust to aquarium life, and like cichlids they all prefer to choose their own mates. Only bad thing is, most Hypancistrus species take several years to mature. I prefer to get them young and raise them myself, but it does require patience. At least the Ancistrus grow/mature faster. I'll have plenty of wee red bristles to keep me occupied while the others are sloooowly coming along.
From the looks of these super reds from Germany they're badly in need of some fresh blood. The pair that spawned once are the largest and best-looking of the lot, and the single fry is coming along nicely. The younger ones are snub-nosed, look rather like they repeatedly swam head-on into a rock. I suspect/hope that outcrossing them with some browns will produce more normal-looking fry. It will take a couple years to establish new lines of true-breeding reds from the outcrosses, but certainly worthwhile in the long run.

Denis Goulding
10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I am on the same wave myself, had two pairs but last week i lost a female and i am on the look out for another..