PDA

View Full Version : Redtail catfish

hybridguy
10-12-2009, 02:45 AM
I am new to the site and just set up 3 different tanks.My plan was to get Redtail, Tigershovelnose, arowana, and hybrid redtail tigershovelnose and put them in a 220 for now, i wanted all 4" or so. But all I could get was a 8" redtail, 2 6" hybrids, 1 6" arowana, and 2 4" tigershovelnose. they r n different tanks for now. 75 gal has hybrids and arowana a 56 gal has redtail and 10 gal has tigershovelnose for now. All r doing great. Question is, is there any way for the smaller fish to catch up to the larger fish so eventually i can put them all together? Maybe different types of food that will increase size faster. I am feeding dried krill, feeder goldfish.

William
10-12-2009, 02:54 AM
They can catch up very quickly if you give them more food. If you feed the cat 1-2 a day and the rest 3-4 times a day they should catch up quickly.

hybridguy
10-12-2009, 02:55 AM
thats what i wanted to here. thanks

Jacko
10-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Increase the feeding (and in proportion, the water changes) and I've also heard that a warmer temperature can make fish grow faster, I know it's true with some fry but I don't know how that would hold out for any of what you have...

FYI, all the cats you have are gonna get 2' and larger. A 220 gallon won't be large enough long term for them... and depending on the arowana (asian, silver, australian) it could very well outgrow a 220 as well.

hybridguy
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info, i do realize the cats will outgrow the 220, it is only for now.I am building a new pond, about 1500 gallons that will be ready next summer for the cats.