PDA

View Full Version : 125g discus tank

domjd05
10-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I am contemplating doing another discus tank (tore down my 55g discus tank about a year ago) and it's been a while since I've kept the suckers... Any thought's on how many I could keep in a 125? I'm thinking.. 10? Tank mates will be 10-15 cories and 15-20 cardinals...

Should I add all the discus to the tank at the same time? In my last tank I got 1 each week and had endless aggression issues, but I think that was more related to the size of my tank.

I usually get them in a "medium" size.. (about 3 inches or so).. since I obviously intend for them to grow out, should I decrease the number of discus I plan to keep, or would a 125 be sufficient for upto 10 of them?

Plant to use live plants, and sand as substrate

I will also have about 2.5WPG of light on this tank for the live plants.. will this be too much light for the discus?

Tank will have wet/dry filtration with 35g sump, as well as a xp3.

Northernguy
10-12-2009, 12:37 AM
That sounds like an awesome tank.
I think adding them al at once is a good idea.There will still be aggression but not as much.They would all be searching out the hood at the same time.
I would have the tank established with all the smaller fish first.
Not sure on the lighting but It should be fine.

Crispy
10-12-2009, 01:07 AM
I would also run the tank with just the other fish for awhile. Easier for the discus to move into a well established tank.

MonkeyPox
10-12-2009, 01:47 AM
I agree with Crispy. I have always found Discus to do better in an established tank.

domjd05
10-12-2009, 01:50 AM
This is what I thought as well, just wanted to get your opinions, thanks! I was going to do an angel tank.. I can get veil tail angels for $13 I think.. but why do that when I can get a medium discus straight from the dealer for $20 lol, my LFS knows its mine when they come in, no one else around here orders them, so he keeps them in the same bag they arrive in for me (I always pick them up within an hour or two of arrival)

I take it you all agree 125 gallons is big enough for up to 10 discus?

I'm not sure I'm going to get 10 for sure.. but I will definitely have between 5-10.. any magic numbers?

Northernguy
10-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Thats a great price!
I have never seen them under $50 and they are only an inch across.
How big are they?

Crispy
10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Not sure on a magic number, but I'd do 8 at least... watch your water params when you add a bunch like that.. takes a bit for the bacteria to catch up and handle the bigger bioload. Sounds like it's gonna be a sweet tank!

domjd05
10-12-2009, 01:58 AM
from fin to fin.. 3 to 3 and 1/2''

My LFS will sell them to me at "his cost" (not sure if it really is but its good enough for me..) as long as I come within a few hours before he puts them into his own tanks.. which works out fine for me because they go straight to my tanks, no dealing with dirty LFS tanks... plus he'll call his warehouse and tell me which varieties are available, lets me pick and choose, its great.

I know I'll figure out a way to add them without causing any ammonia spikes.. I just hate to add them a few at a time like I did last time.. it seemed the SECOND I'd put a new one in the tank (lights off and everything) they'd just pummel it lol.

domjd05
10-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Thats a great price!
I have never seen them under $50 and they are only an inch across.
How big are they?

Dang, come down to Maine that's where I am.. for that price it'd be worth the drive lol.

Discus_Dude
11-05-2009, 01:44 AM
A little late to your thread, but best of luck with your set up!

For what's it worth, with all your tank mates, I would suggest starting with eight as well for that size tank. That way they won't be lost at 3"+ and feel comfortable. Your stocking levels will depend on the amount of decorations and/or if you're planning on it being a planted tank.

Most folks would IME would recommend a bare bottom tank for faster grow outs, but if you're good with the increase in required cleaning maintenance/water changes you're good to go. What substrate are you planning to have?

domjd05
11-05-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm not too worried about getting a fast grow-out, just as long as anything I'm doing won't KEEP them from growing out lol, I plan to use a mixture of eco-complete, gravel, and a layer of sand on top (which I know will mix with time.)

I've kept them before and I've become good friends with the water change routine with discus lol.

Greg6585
11-05-2009, 05:19 AM
That sounds like an awesome tank.
I think adding them al at once is a good idea.There will still be aggression but not as much.They would all be searching out the hood at the same time.
I would have the tank established with all the smaller fish first.
Not sure on the lighting but It should be fine.

:beavisbutthead:

125 gallon....I'm jealous, I only have a 75g

domjd05
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised I have it, lol, I bought it tank and stand for 150 from a guy off craigslist.. the stand needed new hinges, and the tank was drilled for 2 returns (which I'm using, but if I wasn't a 3''x3'' piece of glass and some silicone would cover it up lol) so he thought it was worthless.

ARN209
12-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Any pictures yet?

domjd05
12-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Yep, go to the journals forum and my thread on this tank should be in there.