PDA

View Full Version : Do featherfins clean the glass?

Lady Hobbs
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I have never seen my featherfins do this but who knows what they do in the middle of the night. He can't share the tank with corys or pleco's so he's what I have to have and he needs to be separated from the other featherfin in another tank, as well.

I just wondered if they were glass cleaners. Also, I would like to not feed him for a few days and let him clean up residential algae that is on some plants. Is this OK?

edited to add: I could also put some of my clown loaches in this tank. They eat everything but ofcourse don't clean the glass either.

jeffs99dime
04-06-2007, 04:22 PM
I have never seen my featherfins do this but who knows what they do in the middle of the night. He can't share the tank with corys or pleco's so he's what I have to have and he needs to be separated from the other featherfin in another tank, as well.

I just wondered if they were glass cleaners. Also, I would like to not feed him for a few days and let him clean up residential algae that is on some plants. Is this OK?

i'm not sure if they will clean the glass. i do know that they need their diet supplemented with more than just algae alone though

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 04:24 PM
i think they just nibble on the glass sometimes

Lady Hobbs
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure what they eat. I drop in algae pellets and also a couple times a week, shrimp pellets. Not sure what they like the best as I drop these in just as I turn the lights out so the others don't get it.

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 05:17 PM
my flying fox is like that. I never see him eat, but hes still alive so he must eat somehow

Incredulous_Ed
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
No, they don't usually clean the glass. They will nibble at algae, but they aren't as effective as other algae eating fish.