PDA

View Full Version : How does this stock list sound?

i_am_511
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I know some of you people are gonna eat me alive for this.

6 Khuli Loach 1 Black Ghost Knife 1 Glass Catfish

4 Angels 1 Elephant Nose 1 Upside Down Catfish

4 Mollys 1 Dwarf Puffer 1 Sole/Flounder

3 White Clouds 1 African Dwarf Frog

3 Gouramis(2Blue,1Gold) 1 Swordtail

2 Platys 1 Golden Algae Eater

2 Peacock Eels 1 Separate Tetra Keep alot of Ghost shrimps/Snails
_______________ __________________________________________
75 Gallon with alot of plants and rocks/caves and wood.
Emperor 400 Bio Wheel and Canister Magunum H.O.T. 250

I know some of these fish are better in groups some have died some i just only got one or swordtail and mollys i got as fry and were all "mollys". I clean and water change a lil over a week. And my water stays crystal clear,sand stays clean.Ive added these fish here and there and they mostly all live in harmony as if they was in the wild together. Most even share caves together or lay on each other. My Eels are willing to cuddling with ANYONE. But i can say i have a weird stock list IMO but its paid off.

I plan to switch to a bigger tank just dont know what size yet.

Anomaly
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Not a stocking list I would recomment to anyone.

MCHRKiller
10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I know some of you people are gonna eat me alive for this.

6 Khuli Loach 1 Black Ghost Knife 1 Glass Catfish

4 Angels 1 Elephant Nose 1 Upside Down Catfish

4 Mollys 1 Dwarf Puffer 1 Sole/Flounder

3 Gouramis(2Blue,1Gold) 1 Swordtail

2 Platys 1 Golden Algae Eater

2 Peacock Eels 1 Separate Tetra Keep alot of Ghost shrimps/Snails

Outside of some serious incompatibilities, and alot of fish that need to be in a shoal but arnt, as well as quite a few fish that will be eaten in due time....not to mention the tank is overstocked anyway....sounds fine to me:hmm3grin2orange:

Really tho your white clouds, khuli loaches, as well as ghost shrimp and even the platies and serpae tetra have limited days. The BGK will eventually grow large enough to eat all of them, and if not the angels will in time eat some or peck them to death. The dwarf puffer is totally inappropriate for the tank, if anyone decides to eat his tiny little ass tetradoxon will end that fish's life. Glass catfish also do very poorly alone they need a shoal of 6+. The 2 electrical fish which need very specialized aquariums will do poorly and have difficulties feeding due to the angelfish outcompeting them for food. The golden algae eater will also grow larger and aggressive, they like to eat the slime coating off of large docile slow fish, ie your electrical fish and the angels.

smaug
10-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Jenn said it all,wont be ovestocked for long:help:
Have you kept fish before?

Red
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, thats a huge stocking list there..

tibob32
10-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Great stocking, if you split it in 4 different tanks

jaysee
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I think you could squeeze an arawana in there.

VIP
10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Great stocking, if you split it in 4 different tanks

i think so too ...

VIP
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I think you could squeeze an arawana in there.

definitly...:ssmile:

jaysee
10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
definitly...:ssmile:

Would solve the overstocking issue...

i_am_511
10-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I knew i was gonna get eaten alive for it. Well like i said about some of the fish i know some need groups glass catfish was definely one of those. Some of the fish i had more of and they went on for one reason or the other. Certain fish was a chance i took that may work and may not and ive provided a stable natural environment to help cope. But too each is own right... Semi Aggressive are the kinda fish that may work or may not work and ive added some here and there. Its the individual fish and sometimes you get lucky. Long time ago i had a crayfish and his best friend was my BGK. And as far as the ghost shrimp they are in there to clean and eat and so are the snails. Actually a feeder guppy got in my bag when i brought ghost shrimp one day and that little guy has been in the tank for over a month now and no one has touched him. Thats even pretty weird to me. As far as the puffer she can hold her own and swim away and isnt threaten at this time at least. As far the the electric guys not eating they eat well i make sure of it. I see them eat everyday i see to it. Ive provided plenty of plants and caves for cover and i have a brady bunch. And my levels area always good and my water stays crystal clear. Arawana? oh you got jokes huh:11:

I wouldnt tell anyone else to do a tank like this with brain and balls.

smaug
10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
You think you were eaten alive on this?:sconfused: Nobody took it as a serious inquiry.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You really arent serious,,,,,,,,right?:sconfused:

Little Embers
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
That explains it then!....You said it yourself, need I say more!

Afk4Jfk
10-11-2009, 06:45 PM
HUH.......:ssuprised: :ssuprised: Good Luck Man.....

Lab_Rat
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
You think you were eaten alive on this?:sconfused: Nobody took it as a serious inquiry.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You really arent serious,,,,,,,,right?:sconfused:

Yeah, that stocking disaster has got to be a joke. If it's not, I pity the fish.

jaysee
10-12-2009, 04:19 AM
Arawana? oh you got jokes huh:11:

:ssmile: I wasn't trying to be mean. I was eluding to the fact that you have a grab bag of fish in your tank, and at some point you're going to have to decide who is staying and who is going, and then redo your stocking from there.

MonkeyPox
10-12-2009, 04:44 AM
I knew i was gonna get eaten alive for it. Well like i said about some of the fish i know some need groups glass catfish was definely one of those. Some of the fish i had more of and they went on for one reason or the other. Certain fish was a chance i took that may work and may not and ive provided a stable natural environment to help cope. But too each is own right... Semi Aggressive are the kinda fish that may work or may not work and ive added some here and there. Its the individual fish and sometimes you get lucky. Long time ago i had a crayfish and his best friend was my BGK. And as far as the ghost shrimp they are in there to clean and eat and so are the snails. Actually a feeder guppy got in my bag when i brought ghost shrimp one day and that little guy has been in the tank for over a month now and no one has touched him. Thats even pretty weird to me. As far as the puffer she can hold her own and swim away and isnt threaten at this time at least. As far the the electric guys not eating they eat well i make sure of it. I see them eat everyday i see to it. Ive provided plenty of plants and caves for cover and i have a brady bunch. And my levels area always good and my water stays crystal clear. Arawana? oh you got jokes huh:11:

How many total fish have died in your tank?

i_am_511
10-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Oh nawl man i was just giving ya shet. Aro would be too small for my 75 hhahahaha...I do plan on moving to a bigger tank at least a 125 gallon probably.

And about the comment i made (I wouldnt tell anyone else to do a tank like this with brain and balls.) It should say without brain and balls. I was watching the pre show stuff for football sunday. But ill admit you got me there. What will make people think even worse is i have a 29 gallon tank up and running with 3 platy fry and ghost shrimp.

As far as my tank goes. Like i said before my number and water reads good. Stays clean and i have not had any issues. YET. Im not saying i wont but ive lucked up and made it this far. I just done some research and i know some individuals act different so i took my thoughts outside the box i guess. My plan was if i ran into any trouble with behavior i would take care of it. Plus people say those feeder fish arent good so if some get ate is part of nature and the food chain right? Just kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/user/511withonors#p/u

I did my best to record some clips of my tanks for yall. Any input would help im always open. Its just my whole point was you would be surpised about the things you can make work if you put your mind to it. I done my best to give a natural setting to make the fish comfortable. Thanks for the feed back and listening.

jaysee
10-12-2009, 05:13 AM
What will make people think even worse is i have a 29 gallon tank up and running with 3 platy fry and ghost shrimp.

Woa, wait a minute! You have a hodgepodge of fish in one tank and 3 fry and GHOST SHRIMP in the other??? :hmm3grin2orange:

Is there a 55 stocked with cherry shrimp? (Better joke?)

Lab_Rat
10-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Its just my whole point was you would be surpised about the things you can make work if you put your mind to it. I done my best to give a natural setting to make the fish comfortable.

Wow, you actually do have all those fish that were listed. IMO, that is a stocking disaster and you are not providing for your fish. The best thing you can do is completely redo your stocking plan, filling out schools where necessary and rehoming fish where necessary, if you truly want your fish to be comfortable.

Things "working" is fluid statement. Some consider fish deaths acceptable and clear water as "clean" water. So how many fish have you lost?

i_am_511
10-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Ive lost a dwarf puffer and a separate tetra. And about the clear/clean water i mean as far as looks and TEST. Stocking disaster? Too many big to little to semi aggressive to docile? Too much possible live food. 29 Gallon Yes that is true it is basicly empty im waiting for the 3 fry to get big enough then i MIGHT add some fish back into it.

And as far as the schools situation. The 2 catfish(cough cough G/F) got them then i read they needed schools. I had 3 Tetras but one was died by the time i got home(45min drive/must have been weak) I decided a $2 wasnt worth going back to the store to ask for another one.

Jacko
10-12-2009, 05:57 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/Armentia/posters/facepalm.jpg

however... I'll try my best

I'm gonna go with either you're trolling for a response most likely, I'll try to help anyway, you know what you are doing is wrong or you wouldn't expect to get eaten alive for posting it... what you really need to do is take back all of the fish except maybe the loaches and the white clouds and maybe the ADF, do some actual research as to what will do well in your tank and with each other and what their care needs are.

What are your parameters? Actual numbers is what we need, not that the tank looks clean...

As far as the puffer she can hold her own and swim away and isnt threaten at this time at least.
And yet, not even a full day since you said this and she has already died... makes me wonder about the livelihood of the rest of the fish

6 Khuli Loach 1 Glass Catfish
2 Angels
2 Gouramis 1 Swordtail
2 Platys
Keep alot of Ghost shrimps/Snails

Out of all that you have in there that is all that is even suitable for your tank with each other, and 2 need to be in schools of at least 6, and another 2 should be in groups of at least 4.

There's a ton more to be added to what I said, I really hope someone else feel like taking the 10 minutes out of their life to help you there.

i_am_511
10-12-2009, 06:27 AM
No he was asking me have i ever had fish died on me. And yes ive had A dwarf puffer died. And i still have one in the tank. I had 2!!!. And no im not trolling and yes ive done ALOT of research. I can understand why it doesnt sound like it but i really have. To the point that when i see something in the store i like i go home to read upon it and then decide if im gonna buy it or not.

And i can go into details about why some of the fish arent in schools. Like the swordtail. I brought it and the mollys as fry and was told they were ALL mollys for .25 Cent. As far as the Terta i had brought 3 and one was weak and half died by the time i got home and the store was 45mins away. So i wasnt about to drive back for a $2 fish. Then another one later on died after the 48hr refund. Now as far as the catfish my girlfriend got those and then i read that they needed others around them. The feeder guppy came in bag with ghost shrimp. The Platys/White Clouds Im guilty.

The reason i said i would get eaten alive is cause some people can be really an@l bout things. I done research and gradually added things. I knew the risk i was taken tho understand that. I wasnt just mostly picking up fish without doing a background check. There are some fish i havent brought yet and i also plan on getting a larger tank mainly for my BGK. I have a reason why every single fish is in there. And if any one wouldnt have work or doesnt work in the future ill separate them. But since i havent add that problem they are together. Living fine IMO that is.

Demi ^_^
10-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Okay. Do NOT add any more fish!

Yes, you have fish that are schooling fish, but with this stock of fish, I think some extra small fish will totally tip this tank off the deep end - even deeper then it is now.

I am going to try and help you with this, but I warn you that I am nowhere near as knowledgable as the other members here :ssuprised:

So you have the 75G and then you have the 29G with 3 fry and shrimp - correct?

Okay IMO:

I think you should...
Put some of the docile, quiet, in danger fish into the 29gallon for now until you can sort out what you want and organise everything. Take some fish back and DO NOT add any more fish!

My my, how did you get into this mess? :scry:

When you have a pet you should be prepared to care for it's entire life. You, as a pet owner (Fish), its YOUR responsiblity to provide the right environment and the right care for your pets. I have an Oscar in a 42G - I rescued him, does that mean I am just oing to leave him in there? No. He is now my pet, my friend, I will be buying him a 100g to reside in.

I think you should to some research and find out what you want to do, want to keep and basically read up on the requirements of these current fish...

EDIT: Sorry, I havent read some of the posts because they are so long :-)

And if any one wouldnt have work or doesnt work in the future ill separate them. But since i havent add that problem they are together. Living fine IMO that is.

I did this with my 42g when I did it - "fish are all fine and happy" Phhhsss eventually your tank WILL crash!

Girl Got Mojo
10-12-2009, 07:27 AM
The reason people are ..."an*l" about this is because most members on the forum are first and foremost interested in the well being of the fish, as all good fish keepers should be.

i_am_511
10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I love animals also so i do understand why some are (an+all). Also i understand that some people tell you things over horror stories and things like that. Then you read that sometimes its just the personlity of the fish like crayfish. So cant go in your tank without tearing things up and some can.

The only reason i have the main type of fish is due to researching. And see that other people have been able to keep them together. Im surpised no one has actually said congrats on making a miracle work. And no im not joking I think ive done well to be able to fit this melting pot of fish together.

You have a Oscar in a 42 Gallon? And your planning on getting a bigger tank for him...Well that is the same situation for me. I have these fish in a 75 gallon and i plan on getting nothing smaller then a 125 gallon. Who is gonna go in there i dont even know to be honest.

My reason for this thread was to listen to what everyone had to say but also state that i made something that sounds impossible work. Even tho it is so far. Another thing is people are speaking like this is impossible to work out. Have you ever read about fish growing up together and being well fed and living in harmony? And NO I AM NO JOKING. It being said like there is no chance of this working. And yes i am listen to yall on here im thinking of placing some in the 29 once the fry get bigger.

Demi ^_^
10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
In my eyes, I have a very different situation - he is alone in the tank, with noone to bother him. Your stocking has a whole variety of fish that are lonely (schoolers) and basically uncompatible in most ways.

When I got my 42g, this was my stock:
6 Bronze Corys, 6 Angels, 2 Bala Sharks, 12 Glowlights, 3 Kuhlis & 2 BN's.

I got them all young, they all grew up together. Everything was great, I was proud of myself, I'd say on the forum "I have this and this and it WORKS!" Well, little then a few months later, Angels spawned got aggressive, ate the glowlights, attacked everything. Balas got skittish, hyper, freaked out. Fish lived in fear. I was so close to these fish, my first fish and was heartbroken when I had to give every one away because they weren't compatible IME..

Just trying to give you my experience and see if you can get anything out of it.
Its your tank, so goodluck...

Lab_Rat
10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
The only reason i have the main type of fish is due to researching. And see that other people have been able to keep them together. Im surpised no one has actually said congrats on making a miracle work. And no im not joking I think ive done well to be able to fit this melting pot of fish together.

Where in the world did you do your researching? Please cite your references because I'd love to see why they're recommending such a hodge-podge of fish.

How long have all of these fish been cohabiting? If they have been cohabiting for several years, and they are all adult size, and everything is going great, then congrats! Would be very surprising though... If not, if it's only been a few months (or weeks, since iirc you just added the elephant nose) then you will get no congratulations from me. That tank is a powder keg waiting to blow and the fish will be the ones to suffer when it happens.

domjd05
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes... please tell us.. how long have you had these fish together.. a few weeks? I can see that happening.. a few years.. ? I can't see that.. at all...

i_am_511
10-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Most of the MAIN fish i have had in there have been in there since late spring. Elephant Nose is NEW got it on 10/4. He is what i decided to make complete my strange tank. 1 of the Eels have been in since around aug. A few of the Khuli was added this summer. Also the Tetras.

After talking on here YES ive been lucky enough to make it work so far. But i also understand that once some fish get older things can change rather its getting ate by the bigger fish or breeding and killing other fish. The only reason i even tried this was during research i see alot of contradictions of certain things working and not working for people. But i understand that things working now doesnt mean they will be ok later on.

Lab_Rat
10-13-2009, 12:30 AM
I am going to post what I sent you as a response to your PM so everyone knows the objections I have to your stocking list and the reasons behind my objections.

The puffer has very sharp teeth and will take chunks out of the other fish. He also needs a diet of live snails to keep his teeth pared back. Puffers really should be kept in a species only tank due to the damage they impart on other fish.

The eels will eat the smaller fish, as will the BGK.

The BGK and the elephant nose both emit electricity. Keeping them in the same tank, especially without a grounding rod, will be very stressful for both fish due to the stray electricity throughout the tank.

CAE are much more aggressive than most people realize and can really damage the other fish as they grow and increase in their aggressiveness.

You acknowledge your schooling fish are not in appropriate numbers. It is stressful for these fish to be kept without appropriate numbers of their own species.

Just because fish are in the same tank at the LFS does NOT mean they will live happily and healthily in together for their entire life. And advice from a LFS is not research...they're trying to sell their product. If you need to buy more product (fish) since yours die then they make more money.

It is very rare for everyone on this forum to agree on something...the fact that EVERYONE who has posted in your thread thinks your stocking is a joke and a disaster waiting to happen should be a big clue as to just how bad it is.

i_am_511
10-13-2009, 01:21 AM
Ive accepted that its highly possible for negative things to happen down the road with this set up even tho they are health and seem in harmony right now and water parameters are good. I do admit my Tetra and Glass catfish look like lonely kids on a playground without there kind. Everyone else is playing together while they just swim alone.

Now would the 4 angels 3 gouramis 2 peacock eels 1 elephant nose and 1 BGK with the grounding rod be ok in 75 till i upgrade to 125 gallon or more?

That leaves 6 Khuli loaches 4 mollys 3 white clouds 2 platys 1 separate tetra 1 glass cat 1 upside down cat 1 african dwarf frog 1 dwarf puffer 1 golden algae eater that can be moved. Some of these can go in the 29 for a while until i move them instead of getting schools. But could some of them stay in the 75?

Like the Algae Eater LFS told get him instead of Ottos. but thats awhole thread lol.

VoidParadigm
10-13-2009, 01:27 AM
I have head-walled into oblivion.

All I can say is good luck.

/dies.

smaug
10-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Is that you blacksnow?:sconfused: Welcome back.

Lab_Rat
10-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Ive accepted that its highly possible for negative things to happen down the road with this set up even tho they are health and seem in harmony right now and water parameters are good. I do admit my Tetra and Glass catfish look like lonely kids on a playground without there kind. Everyone else is playing together while they just swim alone.

Now would the 4 angels 3 gouramis 2 peacock eels 1 elephant nose and 1 BGK with the grounding rod be ok in 75 till i upgrade to 125 gallon or more?

That leaves 6 Khuli loaches 4 mollys 3 white clouds 2 platys 1 separate tetra 1 glass cat 1 upside down cat 1 african dwarf frog 1 dwarf puffer 1 golden algae eater that can be moved. Some of these can go in the 29 for a while until i move them instead of getting schools. But could some of them stay in the 75?

Like the Algae Eater LFS told get him instead of Ottos. but thats awhole thread lol.

Ok, you have a difficult bunch of fish to sort out but I'll give it a shot. Anyone who has any other recommendations, please jump in.

First of all, can you rehome or return any of these fish to the LFS? If so, whatever schooling fish you do not plan on filling out schools for, or will not have room for, need to go back/find a new home.

Dwarf puffer needs his own little tank, period. A 10g, even a 5g, will work if he is truly a dwarf puffer.

I would leave the gouramis, angels, elephant nose, BGK, eels, and CAE in the 75g for now. If you can still take the elephant nose back I would, from what I understand they prefer to be in schools. The grounding rod is needed to reduce stress on him and the BGK so I'd get one regardless of whether you can take him back. IMO you need to choose your centerpiece fish and rehome the others. Then you can build around the centerpiece fish. Fortunately, most of these fish sounds like juveniles so you're not seeing a ton of problems yet, but if you don't act quickly you will.

I'd put the smaller fish into the 29g until you can rehome the ones who do not fit into a good stocking plan. Kuhlis can go into the 29g too. Not sure what I'd do with the frog, never kept one, but I'm thinking for now he'd be better off with the big fish in the 75g. Depending on the size of the mollies, I'd probably leave them in the 75g for now, but move the platies to the 29g. You may want to move some filter media from the 75g to the 29g so you don't mini-cycle the 29g by adding these fish in there.

The flounder/sole is really a brackish water/marine fish and is not appropriate for a freshwater setup. He really needs to find an appropriate home, no matter how cool he seems right now or the fact that he is ok in fw right now.

So, in summary:
Puffer-needs his own tank
Flounder/sole-needs a new home
75g-needs grounding rod, keep larger fish in there
29g-add some media from the 75g, move smaller fish there and kuhlis
Work on rehoming any schooling fish that you do not plan on getting more of, decide on a centerpiece fish for the 125g/75g, work on rehoming any fish that you cannot stock around your centerpiece fish with a balanced stocking plan.

I really hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Kaz
10-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Alright let's see what I can do.

Elephant nose goes back to the store along with the BGK. I wouldn't even bother with the grounding rod, just find a better home for them.

flounder will need brackish water at some point and I think it would be easier for you to just return it

the algae eater is too aggressive and will stop eating algae when it ages.

Here is my suggestion for the rest.

75G
6 Khuli Loach
4 Angels
1 Upside Down Catfish
1 African Dwarf Frog
3 Gouramis(2Blue,1Gold)
2 Peacock Eels

29G (get some filter media from your 75g in here and add slowly)
1 Glass Catfish (prefferably return this)
4 Mollys
3 White Clouds
1 Swordtail
2 Platys
1 Separate Tetra

5G
1 Dwarf Puffer - 5g

Return or sell or get rid of them somehow
1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Golden Algae Eater
1 Elephant Nose
1 Sole/Flounder

Wherever
alot of Ghost shrimps/Snails

Red
10-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Glass cat needs to go first, it can't be alone and will die of starvation or from being alone, which are both terrible for the glass cat to go through.

Mith
10-13-2009, 03:12 AM
Hey, let me cut to the chase here.

You mentioned your crawfish had a friend (I hope that's what ya said LOL). No, they have NO friends.

Here's the bottom line. Everyone here on the site has knowledge from research or personal experience. So the opinions given are typically "the norm". Are there exceptions to their opinions/research? Yes. However, in this hobby its not recommended to stock a tank in a way that's contradictory to what research/experience has taught us as is acceptable. Stocking against what is considered as acceptable is only sarificing the well being of the fish.

This is why we come to forums..... to learn from others who have adequate knowledge and experience.

Afk4Jfk
10-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Hey, let me cut to the chase here.

You mentioned your crawfish had a friend (I hope that's what ya said LOL). No, they have NO friends.

Here's the bottom line. Everyone here on the site has knowledge from research or personal experience. So the opinions given are typically "the norm". Are there exceptions to their opinions/research? Yes. However, in this hobby its not recommended to stock a tank in a way that's contradictory to what research/experience has taught us as is acceptable. Stocking against what is considered as acceptable is only sarificing the well being of the fish.

This is why we come to forums..... to learn from others who have adequate knowledge and experience.
well said:19: :19:

i_am_511
10-13-2009, 06:07 AM
I found a perfect example of how i took this path. When you read its good over here and then its bad over here you kinda have to decide which one you believe or if they are both right.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Elephant%20Nose..htm

If you read down the page it says elephant noses arent schoolers and then it says they dont like each other. Then says they get along in big bunches in a large tank...... Then close to the bottom shows 4 elephant noses in a 55 gallon and calls them a small school....... :help: Now i hope yall better understand that i really did research all my fish.

Plus it says they can be with community fish and also shows its with a platy plus another pic shows some other TINY fish. Im sure i can find sites just like this about my other fish.

Lab_Rat
10-13-2009, 06:28 AM
It's confusing with all the information out there, for sure! But for the most part, I think you'll get reliable advice here. People here want what's best for your fish, and we want to help you become a successful fishkeeper. So you've got a difficult situation to figure out, but I think you'll be able to have some really cool tanks once you rehome some of those fish.

i_am_511
10-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Yes that last link and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDZdOEJbQI&feature=related

you can see how i could have gotten myself into this situation with mixed results from people. I guess im an aggressive kinda fishkeeper. And not a suitable docile owner. Well ive learn not to trust others always i guess. I dont expect it to be too hard to straighten out. I can do anything i put my mind too....If i dont tho whats the worse that can happen? Feeder fish? I mean those cheap feeder are unhealthy so its better to raise your own right.....contradiction #.........:givemebeer:

P.S.
Kaz wouldnt the Eels or Angels eat the Khulis after time? Contradiction #

i_am_511
10-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Tried to Edit and add this..... A guy keeping cichlids that are from different areas together that arent supposed to be...... Cichlid fry being raised in community/semi aggresive tank for there life.... And a guy from the missouri aquarium society that take these certain fry and keeps them in tap water and they do fine......

Mith
10-13-2009, 07:30 AM
well said:19: :19:

(Mith pulls out a prepared speech that he always keeps in his pocket)

His speech with the echos... lol

"Today ay ay ay... I consider ider ider ider myself elf elf, the luckiest iest iest iest man an an.... on the face ace ace ace of the earth rth rth.... "

(for those of you who are too young to understand the above, it's a speech that Lou Gerhig made in Yankee staduim when he knew he had what we now call, "Lou Gerhig's disease"....)

Kaz
10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
P.S.
Kaz wouldnt the Eels or Angels eat the Khulis after time? Contradiction #
The angels wouldn't but the peacock eels could.

True, but if you move the kuhlis with the other fish they will likely die, so you are in a pickle.

Kuhlis really don't like their params changing and prefer stability.

An alternate soloution would be to return the peacock eels but I was hoping you could get a bigger tank and move the eels before that becomes a problem.

jaysee
10-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Kuhlis really don't like their params changing and prefer stability.

No fish likes changing parameters. Stable is better than perfect.

Lady Hobbs
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I found a perfect example of how i took this path. When you read its good over here and then its bad over here you kinda have to decide which one you believe or if they are both right.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Elephant%20Nose..htm

If you read down the page it says elephant noses arent schoolers and then it says they dont like each other. Then says they get along in big bunches in a large tank...... Then close to the bottom shows 4 elephant noses in a 55 gallon and calls them a small school....... :help: Now i hope yall better understand that i really did research all my fish.

Plus it says they can be with community fish and also shows its with a platy plus another pic shows some other TINY fish. Im sure i can find sites just like this about my other fish.

Aqualand is a fish store. Fish in stores are displayed differently than our home tanks. They pack fish together because they will all be sold and not live out their lives together. It's why we see 20 Oscars in one tank at the fish store. It doesn't mean that's the way we keep them.

Did you also see this statement by Aqualand: Obviously everyone loves elephant noses because of their appearance. They rank among the harder fishes to keep, so we don’t recommend them to most people -- especially beginners.

It's really not necessary for newbies to do "research" on what fish can go together. That information has been done by fish keepers with many years of experience long before anyone here was keeping fish. It's thru their research that we need not make such grave errors. Information is everywhere and all we need to do is take the time to research. Now and then you will hear of unusual tank mates but this was tried by people who also had a backup plan if it didn't work well....additional tanks.

That BGK may reach 20". I'd get rid of him with a whole lot more on that list.

i_am_511
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Yes Lady i seen that it said that. But my point of showing that was you can do research and see mixed answers. And regradless of it being a fish store it is still online and still where anyone can see it. Some says it isnt a trusted site(i do believe you) but others may not know that. Ive learned more then i already knew coming on here. But some people can streer you wrong no matter where it is. I seen a guy say dwarf puffers need a little salt and they are 100% freshwater not like other puffers. Its a thin line between FACTS and OPINIONS thats the sad part. And by the way i did have a back up plan for anything that didnt work.

Im aware that the BGK can get large. Now why should i get rid of him if my 75 gallon is its "grow out" until i get nothing smaller then a 125 gallon.

Im starting to wonder are yall just jealous i have such a set up working and some are just wishing for me to fail.......... Just kidding :l24:

Aeonflame
10-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Listen dude, I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but from what I've seen in this thread and all the others you have started in the past, is people giving you good solid advice based on personal experience and acquired knowledge. All Ive seen you do is ignore that advice, that people have offered to you with kindness and respect. If you have all the answers, why ask? It seems to me that you are merely seeking attention by coming here and playing games. Even your posts on other's peoples threads were not constructive or helpful.

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Man WTF the reason im asking all these question is cause im curious its not because im coming here to play games. Some people really have no sense of humor and get all emotional behind there computers. If we all happen to be in the same place im sure it would be way more relaxed in person then the way some people talk on here. It is a discussion meaning people give there opinions. Opinions is everyone has one.

And Im am NOT(<read that word) ignoring peoples advice. Im actually taking it all in. The only reason i reply to the things people say isnt to disrespect them but to make it a point that its alot of wrong info out there and alot of opinions out there that can streer people wrong. And that it may sound like i did no research when i actually did. Ive let some people know via PM that what they were saying isnt falling on deaf ears. This isnt about people being right or wrong its about us all helping each other to become better. Im sure we can all help each other. I posted my same tank list on another site and a guy basicly said i need more glass cats. You understand that right there? Someone can trust that person word and add more fish to my tank already!!! Seem to me you have to discus things with alot of people and figure out what is best in your opinion to do since so many people think they are right? I hope this isnt mistaken for being disrespectiful when it is more or less seeking answer. GOSH!!!!

MonkeyPox
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Man WTF the reason im asking all these question is cause im curious its not because im coming here to play games. Some people really have no sense of humor and get all emotional behind there computers.

Perhaps because people are feel like they are wasting their time typing out responses and attempting to help someone who has already made up their minds?

And Im am NOT(<read that word) ignoring peoples advice. Im actually taking it all in. The only reason i reply to the things people say isnt to disrespect them but to make it a point that its alot of wrong info out there and alot of opinions out there that can streer people wrong.

I've yet to read a post of yours that didn't include disagreeing with someone or flat out telling them they are wrong.
You'll notice that not 2 people in this thread have disagreed with anyone else on this thread. There is a 100% consensus here of everyone but you.

This isnt about people being right or wrong its about us all helping each other to become better. !
When it comes to actions that are certain to lead to fish death, there most certainly is a right and wrong.

If we all happen to be in the same place im sure it would be way more relaxed in person then the way some people talk on here.
I think the more likely scenario is that people would quickly summarize you as a person who has made up their mind before they ask the question and would promptly ignore you.

Seem to me you have to discus things with alot of people and figure out what is best in your opinion to do since so many people think they are right? I hope this isnt mistaken for being disrespectiful when it is more or less seeking answer. GOSH!!!!

There is a different between subjective and objective. You think people are talking about opinions when they are not. The only subjective part of this equation isn't "if" its bad, but "how" bad and "how long" until more deaths occur.

jaysee
10-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Look, most people here are serious about the hobby. That doesn't mean you have to be super serious as well in order to fit in here, at least it shouldn't, but it does mean that you have to keep that in mind.

If this was a stamp collecting forum, and you came on and started talking about mailing bills with rare stamps, don't you think you would recieve a similar reception?

Lab_Rat
10-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Look 511, I said this to you in PM, and I'm going to say it here. If you truly are open to learning to properly stock your tank and care for your fish, please post your intentions here. Everyone here has spent a lot of time trying to help you. You need to let us know how you're going to improve the situation of your fish. You've told me via PM that you want to stock properly and do what is right for your fish. I think you owe it to the people here who have helped you to at least let us know your plan to improve your stocking.

Afk4Jfk
10-14-2009, 04:30 AM
I cant add anything more than this, I think i understand why 511 has his defenses up. IMO he is looking for someone to say he is doing a good job with his oddball tank, everybody here including me disaproves to one extent or another with his stock list. hes not getting the answere he wants and is evading some of the questions. like Do you have a 125 or higher tank, when are you getting more tanks, are you planning on taking anyones advice?(ive seen alot and you have not acknowledged it yet)

I will say though,,, It is an awesome DREAM tank. But its just that ... a dream tank. im not going to tell you it wont work, youve already heard that.
i watched the vid, IMO happy fish swim around the tank, and some fish in yours are hiding Big Time. the only way a stock plan like that would work is with a 1000g+ tank with entirely seperate territories.
Im off my soapbox now, (my toes are cold)

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
OK let me get this straight Thank you all for your replys and help. I never said i made up my mind and that im gonna ignore the issue. My best way to explain this is as a teen growing up you had the "cool kids" telling you to do this and that. Then you had the "good kids" telling you to do this and that. And they both have there reason. So you have to choose yes im gonna drink and smoke pot or you decide yes im gonna go to class....Anyway get my drift?

I wanna do right but maybe i was steered down the wrong road. Not to be down on ANOTHER FORUM ppl said to (i should fill out the schools) or (you could use a couple more glass cats) or even sounds like a good set up but more the angels and BGK in the bigger tank before they pair off. So im getting these mixed signals. Yes everyone here is saying its not right but i will PM u the link if you dont believe i was told this was ok elsewhere. Im not gonna down the other forum in "PUBLIC".

If your fins got ruffled i apologize that my message misled you. I came here to ask because things made me wonder. If i was trolling i wouldnt have both those fish to upset you all or took time to shoot the video. And yes its a DREAM tank Martin Luther King had a DREAM why cant I

jaysee
10-14-2009, 06:12 AM
In the end, they are your fish and it's your tank. Enjoy them.

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
I had to rush cause my G/F was off work and wanted me to go to the grocery with her :help: .... So i had a few misspellings. Im sure anyone knew what i was saying tho. The flounder is already gone. Its dead just kidding lighten up guys. I have a LFS that is 5 blocks from my house that is a true mom and pop store. His wife has had a resale shop for 15 years and another LFS was going outta business so he brought the stuff and moved in his wifes basement of her store. Only person i have seen with seahorses in the STL area i might add.

No i dont have a 125or^ gallon tank right now. Im always eyeballing craigslist and if i come across a deal too good to pass up ill pick it up even if i have to store it at a friends house. Yes I plan on taking some advice. I know that things may be good now but not later. And some of the little people might get ate by the BGK. Or Angels pairing off and going nuts cause they want some "private time". Yes there will be some changes soon in my tank one way or the other. Some things i knew before even coming on here i needed to change like the schools and also the small/big fish. I guess i rubbed people the wrong way cause i seem stubborn but it was trying to undo the thing told to me that i believed in. Bad part is like someone said im sure some people here feed feeders to there fish even tho there said to be diseased and not good but its ok cause it the food chain. When my food chain might have kicked in with healthy feeders.(I wont tell who said that :22: ) Some of you have made me paranoid since i care about my fish. Ive been watching worried and not so entertained.

I see it 3 ways.... 4angels (until they pair i guess) 2 Eels,3 Gouramis,PROBABLY the frog, and either the BGK or Elephant or both. Up in the air on the molly since i was told size can help them stay. Then i will have a understocked tank!!!!

Please stop with the death threats(telling me i can sleep with the fishes if i dont straighten my stock out)

VoidParadigm
10-14-2009, 02:23 PM
/revives.

Understocked and compatible fish are two completely different things.

robflanker
10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Disaster.of.a.tank.and.thread.

511 - your tank is a disaster and as everyone said, you need to make changes ASAP. Its not really debatable nor up for question. Your tank is poorly stocked and overstocked. You should make changes yesterday.

While you 'ummmm and uhh and research' (pet stores dont count as research) - your fish are living in a horrible environment. Bear that in mind while you think about your fish plans

robflanker
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Please stop with the death threats(telling me i can sleep with the fishes if i dont straighten my stock out)
Death threats? I dont think anyone has said that, least in the thread. PM is a diff story - and if so, please tell a Mod cos that behaviour is unacceptable.

If its an attempt at humour - not really funny

*sorry for the double post everyone*

jaysee
10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
511 - I know what you've been trying to say - that you aren't responsible because you got some bad advice and followed it. It's not your fault people misled you. However, it is YOUR tank, and you are responsible. The issue here is that you are living in the past, with what the tank was. We all want you to live in the future, with what it will be. This is why people are frustrated with you. The more you defend the past, the more people don't think you "get it", and the more blacksnow references you're gonna hear.

What other forum are you talking about? I'm curious because I'm currently in.....discusions with a MODERATOR on another forum, who is telling people that A cory is fine to live alone in a 10 gallon tank, that they are not schooling fish, and are nocturnal - all of which is bad info.

i_am_511
10-17-2009, 10:07 AM
These people over here are really different not as aggresive... this is what some one wrote....

Wow! You do have an interesting combination of fish in your tank. But, as I have stated before, "if it works, so be it." I do worry about your smaller livebearers. As the BGK and possibly the Puffer and Upside Down Cat, might eventually eat them, as they grow larger. But you stated that you have a 125 gallon in your plans for the future. As long as your fish are getting along, it's OK. Today, I purchased a 7 inch Royal Clown Knife and a Blue Crayfish, sometimes referred to as a Blue Lobster. I placed both in my 55 gallon, which has a 6 inch BGK, 2 Knight Gobies of about 3 inches, one regular Clown Knife of 5 inches, a 6 inch Peacock Eel and a 4 inch Senegal Bichir. They all seem to be living harmoniously and doing well. I also have a 125 gallon with a 8 inch Florida Gar, 2 Oscars of about 6 inches, one Silver Arowana of 9 inches, a common Pleco of about 10 inches, a fat Sengal Bichir of 8 inches and a Tire Track Eel of about 8 inches. They are all living together well. Many claim that a Silver Arowana and Oscars are a combination that spells disaster. Mine are doing well. We can't be afraid to take a chance. We don't have to think in the box. Sometimes, it's OK to think out of the box. Feel free to contact me anytime and I hope that I have given you some moral support. Take care . . .

Stuff like that doesnt make you feel like a POS and want to kill yourself cause you messed up and put the wrong fish together.

Aeonflame
10-17-2009, 11:55 AM
511, I think people got a bit aggressive because it seemed like all their advice was falling on deaf ears. Not only that, but it was being challenged at every turn. It seemed to us that you only selected the advice you wanted to hear. Im not sure about that last statement you made, but I dont think its very appropriate on this forum. Again, I apologize if any of us came off as abrasive, but we are only human, just like yourself, and humans do get frustrated sometimes

Little Embers
10-17-2009, 01:38 PM
If I may quote from Smaug's profile under "Best Advice"......

Pay no attention to advice you get from those who have no actual experience with the subject at hand, there are many of those that just parrot info.

You can do just that if you wish, as many people may not have actual experience with the combination of fish you are keeping and the reason for that is...common sense, they know from the start that it is not a good idea to keep those fish together or in that size tank.

They are your fish and as you said, you are an aggressive fishkeeper, so if you are willing to take the risk of many getting eaten or dying from stress, that is entirely up to you. That person on the other forum said "We can't be afraid to take a chance. We don't have to think in the box. Sometimes, it's OK to think out of the box." I agree that thinking outside the box is a good thing at times, BUT in situations like this I don't believe it is. When it comes to the well-being of living things that are in our care, I am not prepared (entirely different to being afraid) to take a chance or put them at risk and I will always urge others not to do so....I think the fish deserve that much!

You have some beautiful fish there and I truly hope it continues to work for you i am 511.

jaysee
10-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Today, I purchased a 7 inch Royal Clown Knife and a Blue Crayfish, sometimes referred to as a Blue Lobster. I placed both in my 55 gallon, which has a 6 inch BGK, 2 Knight Gobies of about 3 inches, one regular Clown Knife of 5 inches, a 6 inch Peacock Eel and a 4 inch Senegal Bichir. They all seem to be living harmoniously and doing well.

.... 2 clown knives, 1 BGK, an eel and a bichir? In a 55? AND a crayfish?
That's FAAAAAAAAR worse than what's going on with your tank.

Stuff like that doesnt make you feel like a POS and want to kill yourself cause you messed up and put the wrong fish together.

Relax, they're just fish. (I know your joking)

i_am_511
10-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks jaysee you pointed out something that flew over my head. I didnt pay much attention and put it all together that all those things was in a 55 gallon. Is this a true story of the blind leading the blind? Well maybe that just a GROW OUT tank hahahaha....

I was just pointing out we can try to be more careful not to rub anyone the wrong way. All that negative made me paranoid!!! Watching my tank wondering if this fish is plotting on this fish. Yea i went a little extreme about the last part. I came home after a night of drinking to log on and it was spur of the moment. Please me kick me for that one D'Oh.

domjd05
10-18-2009, 12:50 AM
This seems to be a common trend with the newer folks on the board.. They come in and ask questions.. ignore the answers.. then get mad. I was guilty of it myself when I first started.. as were many of the folks that have responded in this post as well.. I would just learn from this and move on.. as for being nicer.. this board does seem to get a bit .."touchy" at times, and as in smaugs profile, I feel there's a lot of parroting going on at time's...

But anyway, despite the tone of some responses, I have yet to be steered wrong by advice given to me on this board (taken with a grain of salt- of course)

:ssmile:

smaug
10-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Wow,I have not looked at this thread in a few days.How touching that I have been quoted,,not just once but several times:sconfused: Im flattered to say the least.I do believe that I meant that piece of advice to be used in a more common sense sort of fashion.Such as this."Once you have have put in the time and effort to actually research and study an option,then you as a responsible fish keeper should weigh the options in an intelligent manner and do what is right and not be swayed by those with an obvious shortcoming of common sense"Therethumbs2: Thats what I would have wrote if I would have known so many were going to be looking:22: