PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me what wrond with this coral!?

Amazon
10-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I just picked up a xenia, some mushrooms, and a torch coral from a local reef club member. The xenia did great with the transfer and the mushrooms did to. But before I even put the torch in my tank I noticed some of the tentacles literally came off, and when i put the coral in my tank all the tentacles look wrinkly, abnormally shaped, and twisted. There is also some white film on small spots of the coral that is coming off.
Any idea what is wrong?!:help:
Ill post pics in a little bit

Amazon
10-10-2009, 02:36 AM
update, I think it may just be shock. its starting to get a little bit better. just a few tentacles are still looking really bad.

kaybee
10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
It could have been shock, not really sure.

Do you know how the torch coral was removed from the former tank? For example was it fully expanded in the tank then removed and placed in the bag/container in one single motion?

Sometimes long-tentacled corals get extra stressed if they aren't given the opportunity to retract their tentacles. The tentacles are filled with water and as a defensive mechanism they will retract them when disturbed (this involves forcing out the water contained in them). If they are removed before the water can be expelled from the tentacles the tentacles become 'heavy' when the coral is removed from the water and that 'weight' may damage them.

When removing euphyllia corals from the water I usually swish them around very gently or gently dip them in and out of the water (holding them upside down) so their tentacles have fully retracted before completely pulling the coral out of the water.

If brown jelly disease doesn't occur, you can expect a full recovery, these corals are resilent to a degree.

Amazon
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks everything fine now. Just a few messes up tentacles now the rerst are great. I do not know how it was taken out of the tank but it is fine now anyway.