PDA

View Full Version : My rock has turned purple...

AmazingH
10-10-2009, 01:31 AM
http://i37.tinypic.com/znm1ar.jpg
This is exactly what colour it is.

This is a fairly good sized rock bought at Big Als many years ago.. I have used it for years without any issues.

In 30g.. livebearer community - java moss is only live plants.

If you need parameters let me know.. I'll get them by tomorrow..

Northernguy
10-10-2009, 01:35 AM
I would remove it so little falls off and give it a good scrub under warm tap water.
I have no idea what that is.I have never had it!.

Nobodynotime
10-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Its a mood rock and its really pissed off.

Amazon
10-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Freshwater corraline!:hmm3grin2orange: lol im not sure what it is but I agree with Northernguy.

AmazingH
10-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Everything I've read associates it with salt water.. no salt here!

Could it be nitrites? My tank is faarrrrr from being fully stocked - only maybe 6 adult guppies, a grown platty, a few platty teens and some newborn guppy fry...

I'll see if I can get it off...

Northernguy
10-10-2009, 01:51 AM
No not nitrites.
See if you see anything here.
http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

AmazingH
10-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Hmmm... okay so I read all of that.. nothing about purple algae..

But I did learn what that other algae is - Brush algae which would explain why it's growing all over my fake plants and I just could not get it off for the life of me - scrubbers and hot water included. Hm.

Brought that rock upstaires.. it does NOT come off easily. Am soaking it in really hot water...

EddyC
10-10-2009, 02:23 AM
I've never seen that either. If the hot water doesn't work, you can soak it in a solution of 1 part bleach to 19 parts water (a bit stronger is fine too), and then try scrubbing it off. Chances are it'll just melt off during the soak. After you soak in bleach, make sure to rinse really well with tap water and then soak it in water treated with extra dechlorinator to eradicate the rest of the bleach. That should work well. Always has for me.

AmazingH
10-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Will do so tomorrow - I'll keep it in a tub of water overnight...?

Wiggs
10-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Black Brush Algae has been known to sometimes be red, esp. as it is dying off after treatment, however the texture sure doesn't look right...

EddyC
10-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Actually, I was just looking at the site linked above (http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9) and saw something that looks a lot like yours under the title "Brush Algae". It's the fifth picture, or you could go here: http://plantgeek.net/articles/gg_algae_faq/bba_curt.jpg

Hope this helps!

Northernguy
10-10-2009, 03:09 AM
I keep forgetting that I have a lot of chlorine in my water.It works great for cleaning some stuff! lol Its probably as strong as the bleach mix solution.

AmazingH
10-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Hmm.. it's a lot lighter than mine.. and this one still looks like brush algae.. mine appears to be a really short (and strong!) dark purple.

Out of water the algae appears black.

AmazingH
10-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I have been using the bleach method - this is the 3rd time so far and it is finally starting to come clean!

violet
10-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I think I might have figured out your problem. The purple stuff was more than likely a slime algae, or cyanobacteria, not a true algae at all. The green may also have been cyanobacteria, or even true green algae. The effect will be temporary and the algae will probably return. True green algae is hair-like or mossy in appearance and is a sign of a healthy tank. Slime-like algae usually indicates high levels of phosphates and/or nitrates in the water. The phosphate and nitrate levels should be tseted in the aquarium, and water changes done using reverse osmosis or distilled water to correct high levels. A treatment with copper solution can sometimes kill it.

PostalPenguin
10-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Definitely black brush algae. Bleach and peroxide will kill it quite easily.