PDA

View Full Version : Plant pruning

Drumachine09
04-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Ive heard people talk about pruning their plants in there tanks. I have 1 java fern, 1 amazon sword, and 2-3 small brazilian pennyworts. How do you know when it is time to prune, and what do you prune?

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 01:38 AM
i was wondering the same thing. Do you really need to prune?

Chrona
04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Ive heard people talk about pruning their plants in there tanks. I have 1 java fern, 1 amazon sword, and 2-3 small brazilian pennyworts. How do you know when it is time to prune, and what do you prune?

Most plants benefit from regular pruning (once a week). It makes them bushier. I usually just trim off a few leaves on my sword that are getting too long or don't look as good as the others (in terms of placement). Amazon swords can't regenerate their leaves (as with many plants) so trimming them off saves them the energy of trying to do so. Brazilian pennywort - just trim of dead/dying leaves

Java fern - same as swords. Don't trim off too much in any case. Only a small percentage of the leaves each week, and only if they are blocking light/not growing that well. Also don't trim off any java fern that have symmetrical black/brown spots on the underside. Those will grow into new plantlets.

Drumachine09
04-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Most plants benefit from regular pruning (once a week). It makes them bushier. I usually just trim off a few leaves on my sword that are getting too long or don't look as good as the others (in terms of placement). Amazon swords can't regenerate their leaves (as with many plants) so trimming them off saves them the energy of trying to do so. Brazilian pennywort - just trim of dead/dying leaves

Java fern - same as swords. Don't trim off too much in any case. Only a small percentage of the leaves each week, and only if they are blocking light/not growing that well. Also don't trim off any java fern that have symmetrical black/brown spots on the underside. Those will grow into new plantlets.

If i cut the leaves on the amazon, will they grow into new plants if i anchor them?

I should really just start pming you ,chrona, with all of my dumb plant questions. lol:hmm3grin2orange:

Chrona
04-06-2007, 01:53 AM
If i cut the leaves on the amazon, will they grow into new plants if i anchor them?

I should really just start pming you ,chrona, with all of my dumb plant questions. lol:hmm3grin2orange:

Nope :P

I don't think there are any plants that will grow from just a leaf. Sword propagation is through runners/plantlet it sends up/out or through division at the base when it grows large enough

Best to keep stuff on forums, so others can learn too :)

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 01:55 AM
some of my java fern randomly gets brown tips on the odd leaf, is that iron deficiency or too much iron?

Chrona
04-06-2007, 02:05 AM
some of my java fern randomly gets brown tips on the odd leaf, is that iron deficiency or too much iron?

New leaves or old leaves? Leaves yellow at all? Veins green?

EDIT: A picture is pretty much required. So many plant deficiencies and so many shared sympotoms.

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 02:10 AM
the plants are healthy, and all green. No yellow (thats bad, means the plants are dying), just some odd leaves get thin and brown. I got iron liquid with my CO2 kit and want to know if its worth using or not

Chrona
04-06-2007, 02:18 AM
the plants are healthy, and all green. No yellow (thats bad, means the plants are dying), just some odd leaves get thin and brown. I got iron liquid with my CO2 kit and want to know if its worth using or not

Which tank, how many fish, feeding schedule, lighting, substrate, and is this on old or new leaves?

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 02:26 AM
20g, regular light, 1 tetra, 5 white clouds, betta, 2 baby angels, ghost shrimp, banded loach, dwarf gourami, flying fox, 2 java ferns, java moss, cabomba, and some other plant thats doing well. The java fern is about a month old, and is the only plant with brown leaves, regular gravel, (none are rooted, theyre potted), fish are fed at 8am, 10 pm.

Just the really odd leaf gets brown, and the others are fine.

Chrona
04-06-2007, 02:35 AM
That java fern needs to be tied to rock or driftwood. Potted java fern will either rot or not grow well. They take in nutrients through the leaves, not the roots, so the rhizome will rot if you pot it.

That being said, the whole leaf? or just the tip

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 03:26 AM
around the tip

Chrona
04-06-2007, 03:34 AM
I would just do the rock/driftwood thing then. If the other plants are fine, it's not a nutrient deficiency. Heck, the cabomba will always be the first to display deficiencies because it's a fast growing stem. Btw, you STILL haven't answered if it's on new or old leaves, lol

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 03:54 AM
ohhh, sorry. its on the old ones. The new ones are fine. The cabomba is floating since the LFS only had floating twigs, and thats doing fine and its lush green.

Chrona
04-06-2007, 03:57 AM
That's fine then. Just take it out of the pot and attach it to driftwood/rocks with twine/fishing line till the roots grab hold.

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2007, 04:02 AM
the roots are really bunched in the pot. I think its about time i tied them down. Thanks for the advice