PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Flounder

i_am_511
10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I know the Flounder/Soles are Brackish water they grow up in freshwater and when older move to the salty water. Who has a pretty nice size one? I see they get pretty big. Neat little fish. This one store i use keeps them in freshwater so i picked one up to test him out. I dont think they are anyone that are fully freshwater tho right?

Fishguy2727
10-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Even the little ones prefer to be in brackish, that is where we keep them at work.

UncleWillie
10-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Look into Hogchokers (Trinectes maculatus). They live in freshwater and people have had success keeping them in aquaria. They require a good deal of attention. They also stay fairly small. I have personally never seen one over 4 inches, but they can get to 8 inches.

Red
10-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Must of the flounders in the trade need brackish waters.

smaug
10-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I know the Flounder/Soles are Brackish water they grow up in freshwater and when older move to the salty water. Who has a pretty nice size one? I see they get pretty big. Neat little fish. This one store i use keeps them in freshwater so i picked one up to test him out. I dont think they are anyone that are fully freshwater tho right?
You picked one up to test him out?No research?Just see how it goes?Awesome fishkeeping.:sconfused:

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Your assuming i didnt do research because what?

Because i guess that:sconfused: (I know the Flounder/Soles are Brackish water they grow up in freshwater and when older move to the salty water. )

I came across info on the Hogchoker being full fresh and i didnt remember the name so i figured i would turn to the forum for help since it was a night of clicking here and there so i didnt know where i read it at.

jaysee
10-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Flounder are for experts.

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 12:59 AM
experts? Wow what do you consider me then? Just kidding.... Have a chill pill its winter my friend... Some of yall here almost make me not feel welcome.

smaug
10-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Your assuming i didnt do research because what?

Because i guess that:sconfused: (I know the Flounder/Soles are Brackish water they grow up in freshwater and when older move to the salty water. )

I came across info on the Hogchoker being full fresh and i didnt remember the name so i figured i would turn to the forum for help since it was a night of clicking here and there so i didnt know where i read it at.
Simple guess really.It seems to be a pattern with you.
btw hogchokers are not fully fresh,they are found in there natural environments from full salt to full fresh.

jaysee
10-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Definitely blacksnow

smaug
10-14-2009, 01:08 AM
naw,,,it isnt.But it may be this guy channelling him:help:

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Hey my friend...smaug Ill speak on the research part. Everyone has opinions on thing with fish because some have worked for others and some havent. So when you research things and they dont match up. Who are you supposed to believe when everyone says they are right.
Perfect example is Uncle Willie(Look into Hogchokers (Trinectes maculatus). They live in freshwater and people have had success keeping them in aquaria. ) Nothing against Uncle Willie but that is his opinion so someone may see that and decide to try it.

Someone would read this theard and get 2 answers...So they would have to decide who was right on there own right? And that is where maybe i have made mistakes at.

smaug
10-14-2009, 01:37 AM
I dont get my answers from forums.The info I quoted came from 3 seperate web sites that come up with any google search.It is the same info that you can gleen.I have also known that info for quite some time as I am also an avid outdoorsmen.Many species that tend toward brack can be kept in fresh [for awhile].You state your info like you know it for a fact,you also ask opinions about stocking lists and already have your mind made up [or the tank stocked].Most of us here have been keeping fish or admiring them for a very long time.Much of what your are posting here doesnt add up.

robflanker
10-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Not sure trying out fish really is an example of someone who knows what they are doing

Blacksnow for sure

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Yea alot of things dont add up...Im asking all these questions because you read things 1 place and then something different elsewhere that is all.I dont state anything for a fact just sayin its alot of opinions out there and you dont know who to trust. I thank you for trying to help me and it is. And no my mind isnt made up.

What flounders need I have read about but then i run into people who CLAIM to have kept them freshwater and it worked. So it just makes me curious. Thats all. Its not a knock on anything anyone is saying to me.

Good news i dont even have the flounder anymore.

Amazon
10-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Ok guys lets settle this. I live in Louisiana and I can go out close to my home and get my own hogchokers from brackish Lake Pontchartrain. The only times that the hogchokers enter the lake is when the water is very salty due to tidal movement. During this time of the year. I actually went out to that lake 2 weeks ago and came back with three of them. they are currently doing great in my high salinity brackish tank and will be moved to full marine soon. the tank they are currently subsiding in is at a specific gravity of about 1.015.
The fish will not live long in freshwater.
I know this not just by my experience with them in aquariums but by observing them in the natural world where they live in the wild. I am a native fish collector and a very dedicated fisherman and when keeping an aquarium the fish will live the best and be the happiest when the tank is designed just like its natural home.

We are not trying to be mean to you but when it comes to keeping a living animal they should deserve the best treatment as would any other dog or cat.

oh and by the way the "freshwater flounder" is the same species as a hogchoker and they are not easy fish to keep.

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Yes im sure it was all settled at least close enough to it seeing that we all agreed that they love the salty water. I think the subject was more or less about how people can streer you wrong rather its on here or other sites. Its like learning history in school. Depends on where you live certain history are told different(i wont dare to go into details lol). About the natural homes. Thats one reason for me to keep my tanks natural styled.

Also you might want to becareful saying you take fish out the lake some people might flair up.

UncleWillie
10-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Nothing against Uncle Willie but that is his opinion so someone may see that and decide to try it.

Ok.. I rarely post on forums like this because of things like this.

Please read my post carefully..
You will see that I said:
They live in freshwater.
Some people have kept them successfully.
They require a good deal of attention.

You never know who you are talking to on a forum and don't know their background, knowledge or experiences. All we can do is post what we know as honestly as we can.

Smaug, you are absolutely correct - they live in brackish, marine and freshwater.
Amazon, Hogchokers can be found hundreds of mile inland from the coast, they will not die after long periods in full freshwater.
I have spent many-a-month snorkeling and doing surveys (on freshwater mussel assemblages and growth and recruitment) on the Lower Flint and Altamaha Rivers in Georgia. We encountered numerous hogchokers (mostly from 1 inch to 4 inches long) on a daily basis.

I tried to post this message in the most curteous way that I could.

Amazon
10-14-2009, 02:22 AM
well I actually have a whole thread on fish I take from natural waters. heres a link http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=47131&highlight=native+fish+photos Almost all of our marine fish and creatures are taken straight from the ocean along with some freshwater fish.
I know these people well enough and they know me well enough to know that I take great care of my fish.
People get mad when you go out and take a 2 foot long channel catfish from a lake and put it in a 20gallon tank. I make sure all my fish are treated the way they should and the people here know that, so I dont worry.

UncleWillie
10-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Also you might want to becareful saying you take fish out the lake some people might flair up.

There is nothing wrong with taking fish from local bodies of water as long as it is done legally (legal species, legal collecting equiptment, proper documents / lisence, etc).
Amazon knows what he is doing (more so than a lot of folks that go out to collect their own). He has the proper ethics and does his research).

If you really want to get people to flare up - mention releasing aquarium fishes in the wild:nono: haha.

Plus, most marine aquarium fishes are taken out of the wild.

UncleWillie
10-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Oh! You beat me to it, Amazon! I must have been typing while you were. Well, I had your backthumbs2:

Amazon
10-14-2009, 02:42 AM

i_am_511
10-14-2009, 02:51 AM
It was more or less sarcasm about the fish coming out of lakes.My brain thinks one way and i type the other way. I need to always let people know when im speaking with sarcasm.lol.... I know its legal issues in some places and i know that we buy fish in the store and they come from the wild.

Now on the serious side it wasnt nothing against you uncle willie or amazon i hope to be on your fish keeping level one day and have yall knowledge. I was just making an example about how 2 different things can get said mainly i guess cause fish can adapt and us humans push it to the limits.

So the final answer is yes flounders can live in freshwater but prefer the salty water? But in a fish tank its PROBABLY best to have salty water? Can we all agree on that?

robflanker
10-14-2009, 12:11 PM
i know that we buy fish in the store and they come from the wild.

I would venture that less than 5% of fish at your LFS come from the wild. They are all bred in fish farms/captive - so the environments they are raised in are typically not all that similar to the ones they are naturally found in.

Amazon
10-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Yes the flounders can live in freshwater for small amounts of time (probably only about 6 months IMO), but not there whole lifespan, and they do prefer and will live better with salty water.

The five percent is true for freshwater, but my lfs's saltwater fish are mostly wild caught.