PDA

View Full Version : *Ack* New fantail isn't!

Rue
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Well...I finally went and bought 2 more goldfish for my 55g tank. The two I have in there look lonely (a lionhead and a pearlscale). There haven't been any especially nice goldies available for eons...which is why I haven't gotten any...but yesterday the fantails at my preferred fish place looked quite nice.

They're just calico fantails...nothing at all fancy. One is mostly white with a few black specs...we'll see how his colour stabilizes as he grows up. And the 2nd is mostly white but with nice orange spots mixed in with the black ones.

After I finished acclimating them and let them into the tank...I noticed that the 2nd one has a single tail! LOL...what does that make him? A 'regular' goldfish that got in with the fantails, or a deviant fantail? He has the deep fantail body (vs. the more streamlined look of a regular goldfish)...but he definately has a single tail!

How could I have missed that?

I hope he doesn't end up bullying the others with his relative speediness...:help:

Rue
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Well now! In the light of day...appearances change.

He DOES have a double tail afterall...but it doesn't fan. Both sides are held close together...so in the dark last night it looked like a single tail...

Guess he's just a little 'defective'.

Both new fish ate like piggies this morning. Hope it's a good sign they've adjusted well to the cold water.

rich311k
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Good luck with them. sounds like they are settling right in.

Now we need pictures.

Rue
10-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Thank you! :shappy: My camera doesn't lend itself to award-winning photos...but I can go take a 'general' photo...

I think I'll name them Pepper Spot and Cali (how's that for originality?) :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I was wrong...can't get even one reasonable photo with my point and shoot. All I'm getting is blurs...

Sorry!:scry:

bigbad-ratman
10-09-2009, 03:30 PM
it is supposedly quite common for fancy tales to not divide. i think of my six half are divided the others not.

Rue
10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Really? I had never read anything about it...but it never came up until now either...

Here's an example of my photos today...not a clear image anywhere to be found...but here are all 4 goldies and one dojo blur...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/GoldfishBlur1009.jpg

vegas2k
10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
very nice, I can't wait till I get mine into my 55g!thumbs2:

Rue
10-09-2009, 05:56 PM
LOL...you're very kind...

But yes! The space is great! The new guys are checking it all out...and the old guys are almost as excited to have new friends! It's quite funny...

Even the 3 dojos are more active...and they're always active!

Sharon
10-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Cute little guysthumbs2: ...Goldfish are underrated!

vegas2k
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Dojos=weather loaches right? I am thinking about introducing one of those with my goldfish, like you have, to help keep the bottom clean as well.

Deleted User
10-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I think it's pretty common for the tails on "fantails" to really be fused together. From what I read, "breeding quality" fantails should have a fully divided double tail. As if most of us would really care! Your new guy sounds great to me -- I love goldies :1luvu:

bigbad-ratman
10-09-2009, 10:34 PM
not a goldfish expert, but it seems that some subspecies are actually more difficult to breed with divided tails. the panda standard is to have a completely divided tail, but is supposedly very hard to breed true. i took a close look and five of mine have their tails divided to some extent. the sixth, my wifes orange oranda, has a tail that is not divided at all. not a big deal to me though. i love my "fat lil fishies"!!!

Rue
10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Yes, dojos are weather loaches...I started with one, had it 'disappear'...got a 2nd...it disappeared...got a third...then found the first two...one in each HOB...

...go figure...

But they seem much happier in a group of 3...so it worked out well.

And yes...I love my goldies...of all the fish they're most like underwater puppies...2nd come my clownfish...they're really full of character as well...:1luvu:

Rue
10-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Jill...I've just never read/heard of that before...or even thought of it until this morning when I saw the tail was 'different'...but I suppose it stands to reason that there will be levels of difference in a selected trait...

not a goldfish expert, but it seems that some subspecies are actually more difficult to breed with divided tails. the panda standard is to have a completely divided tail, but is supposedly very hard to breed true. i took a close look and five of mine have their tails divided to some extent. the sixth, my wifes orange oranda, has a tail that is not divided at all. not a big deal to me though. i love my "fat lil fishies"!!!

One isn't at all divided? But the body type is true?

bigbad-ratman
10-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Jill...I've just never read/heard of that before...or even thought of it until this morning when I saw the tail was 'different'...but I suppose it stands to reason that there will be levels of difference in a selected trait...

One isn't at all divided? But the body type is true?

from what my only slightly educated eye says, the body type is true. great looking little goldfish. just doesnt have a divided tail.

Deleted User
10-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't know where I read it, and it may not be accurate information (but I did read it someplace). It stuck with me just because I breed horses and really am advid about type, conformation and bloodlines. In my goldies, you know, I just love them fat and cute... Some of mine have split tails, some don't. They're all good in my book :goldfish: