PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Fantail

VoidParadigm
10-09-2009, 03:08 AM
I was ready for bed, but not feeling entirely tired came upstairs to find a DVD to put in on the bigscreen in the living room. I look over to one of my goldfish tanks and what do I find...?

My 8'' long and 4'' tall goldfish had got herself stuck in a 4'' square hollow log with an entry point of 3'' at the tallest part. At first I didn't know what to think, all I could see was orange, and assumed it was just my special needs goldfish in his usual sleeping spot. Then, painstakingly, she struggles around and this huge eye looks at me pleadingly through one of the small holes in the log.

In order my brain went through these thoughts;
"Oh."
"That's my big female... isn't it?"
"*censored*"

Thankfully with a little gentle nudging and coaxing (her being ridiculously tame, ie; enjoys swimming into my hands) I was able to lead her back out through the largest hole. After a few of the cory pellets she's so fond of she was quite happy again and swimming around.

A little bit of damage on her tail, but she comes back from the pond with much worse every year after dealing with the big male I have, so she'll be fine in a few waterchanges.

I'm just glad I decided to come back upstairs! :ssmile:

vegas2k
10-09-2009, 04:05 AM
awesome, glad you saved your little girl! now maybe try and make it so she can't get stuck there again:)

VIP
10-09-2009, 04:29 AM
glad you were able to help your friend!

good for you !

Nobodynotime
10-09-2009, 06:46 AM
it was just my special needs goldfish in his usual sleeping spot.

...I need to hear more about this tank...

Sharon
10-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Lucky fish!!!

VoidParadigm
10-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone. The log has been turned so that the 4'' can still manuver in, but the big girl can't. She refuses to go near it now, anyways. lol. Lesson learned? =]

Also; There was a bit of bleeding on her tail afterwards last night, but that's gone now. As I said, she's quite hardy and capable of healing herself, though, so I didn't worry overly about it, just changed some water and made sure she had lots of yummy treats to help her forget. :lol:

violet
10-09-2009, 01:04 PM
So glad she's okay :)

rich311k
10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I am glad you were able to save her. Poor thing.

Rue
10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
She is lucky! thumbs2:

Reminds me of the time I found one of mine with a pebble stuck in it's mouth...had to do a little rescue there as well...:goldfish:

Deleted User
10-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Phew!!!

I'm happy you checked her just in time!!!

Something similar happened here recently with "good thing I thought to look when I did". One of our orange orandas was laying on the gravel not moving with the biggest (d@mn) piece of blue gravel in his mouth I guess just giving up on life. I startled him and after a few knocks and me thinking I'd grab him by the tail, he spit it out like a jet.

His name was ALREADY "Piggy".

I think Piggy and your girl would probably get along really well :shappy:

Jill

bigbad-ratman
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
i would like to meet the people that said goldfish have no memories. mine def learned and it seems that your did as well.

Giannis86
10-10-2009, 10:57 AM
now thats a good example of a good timing!
glad it turned out wellthumbs2:

keesh5
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I inherited a tropical fish tank from a friend with HOB that was way to powerful for the size tank. Anyway she had a beta in there. I went down in the morning and found him stuck in the filter, he had started to pale too. I was like ooooh %%^#! I quickly got him out he swam away but then the other fish started picking on him as he was battered and weak.

I removed him from the tank and he now has his own home! He is much happier by himself anyway, blowing bubbles all day long.