PDA

View Full Version : BN & Otto diets

mattsbottleofjager
10-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Should I be worried about my BN's and ottos not paying much or any attention to algae wafers and/or veggies?
Does this mean they are getting enough without the extras? They are still pretty young, well I'm not sure about the ottos but the BN's are still all under the 2" mark.

dancethenparty
10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Should I be worried about my BN's and ottos not paying much or any attention to algae wafers and/or veggies?
Does this mean they are getting enough without the extras? They are still pretty young, well I'm not sure about the ottos but the BN's are still all under the 2" mark.
i have a BN it's doesn't always eat the algae wafers i give it. in fact it only will eat an algae wafer about maybe like 1 a week. other then that it just sucks on the tank. it looks pretty healthy, and acts pretty healthy. Just make sure that they don't hav an sunk in stomach and watch them for sickness signs.

brianyu
10-08-2009, 09:36 PM
try to cook your veggies maybe .

robnepper
10-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Don't forget that they will rasp on drift wood for food sometimes too. It could be a matter of finding the right timing as well. Mine definitely eats the wafers and veggies but I only feed wafers once to twice a week as the live bearers tend to show quite and interest even after lights out. I stab a fork into a cuc once a week and just let it soften in the tank that way he can much on it over a bit of time.

mattsbottleofjager
10-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone, they all seem to have nice round bellies, I just thought I might be doing something wrong lol. They are always on the driftwood, and I have only seen the smallest BN on the veggies I put in there. My yo yos destroy any wafers that go in the tank, and the BNs/ottos don't seem to notice them. I guess thats a good thing?

toddnbecka
10-09-2009, 04:55 AM
As long as their bellies aren't sunken they're getting enough to eat. Just be careful they don't get too much protein; the veggies are helpful for cleaning out their digestive systems.

terrapin24h
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM
we have rubberlips that show similar dis interest and seem to be fine. The really funny thing is the one will actually eat sinking pellet food(it's cichlid food) while we're feeding the other fish, and when he has his fill he goes back to the glass and decor. Tank has never been cleaner. Bugger eats constantly. I really like the smaller plecs. If they are growin they're getting enough food, and with otos if they have a little bulge they are plenty well fed. They eat stuff that you can't even see.

--chris

violet
10-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I have two otto's... as long as they have the chubby tummies everything is fine. I feed them the algea wafers only once per week. Alot of times they don't eat it but I've seen them eating the flakes that I drop in so I think your little ones will be okay.