PDA

View Full Version : Rock question

gball
10-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I have another (probably dumb) new to cichlid question. is there a specific type of rock that people use for cichid tanks? do most LFS carry it?

Red
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Slate is used a lot, and easy to stack, and move.

sheamurai
10-07-2009, 11:18 PM
lava rock is used a lot too, and some rocks (tufa, lace) are used to bump the pH up, if your level happens to be lower than cichlids like. LFS usually do have it, and they sell it by the pound. Another advantage of lava rock - its lighter than some other types of rock, so cheaper!

Jacko
10-08-2009, 12:06 AM
It doesn't really matter with africans, just so long as their not toxic or anything, even the rocks you would normally avoid with freshwater because of them buffering is helpful... I like slate or rocks with visible layers for my tang tank but it's mostly an aesthetic thing.

What type of tangs are you looking at? Julies and other rockdwellers are gonna appreaciate lots of rockwork with caves, lava/feather rock is good for this IME. Shellies and open water swimmers don't really care.

Not NEW Not OLD
10-08-2009, 12:53 AM
i use lava rock with river stone bottom gravel on my 90gal mbuna tank... nice contrasts beige bottom, red stones, solid blue background... i may also try a black background, black crushed lava for the base and red lava rock... for some nice coloring on either a 75 or a 46 bowfront if it works out...

Lab_Rat
10-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Texas holey rock is awesome for african mbuna tanks. They love all the holes and the limestone properties just help with pH and hardness.

Only problem with Texas holey rock is it's a bit pricey outside of Texas. I just picked up 56 lbs of it for $0.17 a pound though. thumbs2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I actually just went to a lakeshore and "picked up" all of mine...

hybridguy
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
i have about 100 lbs of slate and flagstone in my tank.Also have regular ol rocks to stack slate on.

Northernguy
10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I like the look of granite and quartz in a tank.
I find all kinds of red and blue quartz up here.The stuff they have in the stores is nice but pricey.