PDA

View Full Version : new algea

rookie
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
over the past two weeks or so i have noticed that algea has been slowly growing on my rocks and intake. it is a darker algea than i have seen in this tank before. i would have thought that my bn's would have ate it by now but they havent.

is it a type of algea that the bn's dont like

or is the bn's just not hungry enough they also get feed cucumber and algea waffers.

here are some pics to show the type of algea

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss105/exselvelezjr/21d67b9b.jpg
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss105/exselvelezjr/6fd02767.jpg

Wild Turkey
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Just off the top of my head the BN wont eat it if its Cyanobacteria (not algae) or bba which only a few fish will eat most reported is the true siameese algae eater

Doesnt look like either of those though, maybe hes picky?

rookie
10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
That's good to know WT. I do have 3 bn so even if one was a picky eater I would think the others would eat it. Mabe I'll stop giving them the waffers and cucumber. How many days do u think would be ok to not feed them I just want them to be hungry but not starve obviously

Wild Turkey
10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
That's good to know WT. I do have 3 bn so even if one was a picky eater I would think the others would eat it. Mabe I'll stop giving them the waffers and cucumber. How many days do u think would be ok to not feed them I just want them to be hungry but not starve obviously

A few days should be no problem at all as a test

violet
10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
You know... It looks like that really hard algea that one would have to scrape off... if I'm right then none will eat it.. I have it growing in my tubes...

violet
10-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Cyanobacteria.. isn't that more of a brown... maybe even blue green... I don't think it's that.

rich311k
10-08-2009, 02:59 AM
I would guess it is Green spot. It is green and hard then that is probably what it is. Cyano come off easily and smells horrible.

Green spot is usually indicative of low phosphate levels. You can add phosphate by adding Flourish phosporous, mono potassium phosphate or going to the drug store and buying Fleet enema. Be sure it is the phosphate one and not the other oner one. I think base on sodium it could be calcium. A few drops once a week should do the trick.

Wild Turkey
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
I agree that is most likely , if the bn wont eat it there are plenty of ways to rid yourself of it

As an FYi Cyano can be green, green/blue even purple, but again I do not think its cyano, I think the OP's bns are just spoiled:hmm3grin2orange:

rookie
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
o those bn's are very spoiled. it probably is green spot tho because i tryed to scrape it with my finger and it wouldnt come off. but i did order some florish phospherus today so hopefully i will get rid of it soon