PDA

View Full Version : Breeding mollies

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
We have 2 ballon mollies we susoect are pregnant, one is black so a bit hard to tell, the other is silver, they are both quite large, but the silver one you can see what looks like bruising around her rear end.

If they are pregnant, what signs can we look out for, that they are about to drop, the silver one has been like this at least 2 weeks.

crackatinny
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I see A_M is on again, it has been another week now with no change. Can you shed light on this? LOL.

Seeing as you are on holidays at allexperts LOL.

Abbeys_Mom
04-07-2007, 09:26 PM
My Mollies always looked "Square" when they were about to drop.
Excuse my lack of artistic ability when it comes to computer drawing. Mollies are usually pregnant 4 weeks. Sorry about not dropping in on the tread. I have just been "skimming" the forum lately.

crackatinny
04-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks A_M:thumb:

bettaboy691
04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
nothing to do with the thread, but i couldnt help wondering about your 5 gallon with 5 neons and 5 rasboras. its over stocked and those fish do not belong in there. is there a good reason?

crackatinny
04-08-2007, 11:41 AM
nothing to do with the thread, but i couldnt help wondering about your 5 gallon with 5 neons and 5 rasboras. its over stocked and those fish do not belong in there. is there a good reason?

No reason,
What size tank should they be in?, They have been in this setup for about 6 weeks with no ill affects so far.

Abbeys_Mom
04-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I think bettaboy691 is just saying that schooling fish need more room to swim then that. If they are still small, then it doesn't matter much.

bettaboy691
04-08-2007, 05:50 PM
i wasnt trying to be rude, just concerned.
neons and rasboras really need 10g for enough swimming space as they are shoaling fish. atleast they are in well sized groups.and the tanks filtered and heated. thats good. but the fish really need more room. if you ever watch neons and rasboras in bigger tanks, they will swim slowly then dart off, in smaller tanks they cant.
i would suggest either getting them a bigger tank, taking them back to the store, or putting them in the 120g when ready.
they can survive in small tanks, but would probally die eariler as not swimming enough and getting improper excercise.and may be unhappy with the crowded space.

crackatinny
04-09-2007, 02:24 AM
i wasnt trying to be rude, just concerned.
neons and rasboras really need 10g for enough swimming space as they are shoaling fish. atleast they are in well sized groups.and the tanks filtered and heated. thats good. but the fish really need more room. if you ever watch neons and rasboras in bigger tanks, they will swim slowly then dart off, in smaller tanks they cant.
i would suggest either getting them a bigger tank, taking them back to the store, or putting them in the 120g when ready.
they can survive in small tanks, but would probally die eariler as not swimming enough and getting improper excercise.and may be unhappy with the crowded space.

The 120g is out of the question, or they will become food for the bigger fish in there, I might put them in the 120ltr, as it is now just for the likes of mollies, swordtails and platties.

Nautilus291
04-09-2007, 03:12 AM
bettaboy does have a good point a 5g tank isnt enough room for schooling fish. But I would say a 10g isnt enough either. That barly gives them room to swim around either. I would go with at least a 20g. ALthough I havent seen a 15g so that could work to.

Ive been thinking about getting a group of some tetras for my 29g since I only have 4 fish in there right now. They would be neat to watch and Ive never had any tetras before.

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Or a long 20 gallon. Those are neat looking but if a lid can't be found you may have to have a piece of plexyglass cut and glue a handle to it and cut out some openings for filters, etc. I suppose hoods can be bought for them, I just haven't thought of checking it out.

bettaboy691
04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
the tetras and rasboras will live happily with platies, mollies and swordtails.
depending on how many other fish you have, 120lt is good tank size, about 20 gallons i think it is.