PDA

View Full Version : insane betta

gball
10-07-2009, 04:20 AM
a bought a betta two days ago and added it to my 20g community. as of today I have ten dead fish 7 neon tetras, 2 black neon tetras, 1 guppy. we didnt know what was going on until today when my mother in law watched the betta ram two of the fish (which later died). did I do something wrong? every post on this forum said that bettas are FINE with a community tank. and now one of the few remaining tetras is attacking another. has it gone on the defense? The betta was moved to the only tank I can afford, a 1.5g. I am going to go get more fish tommorow.:scry:

Northernguy
10-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish!
They are called siamese fighting fish! Thats not neccesarily a rumor unfortunately.
Some are very mellow and wouldn't hurt a fry.Some are mean as you sadly found out.
All fish are like that.I once had an oscar that would not eat or hurt a bite size goldfish!
I'd move him too!

Sarkazmo
10-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Unfortunately this is why I always make the statement that it "depends on the temperment and personality of the Betta" as to how well it'll get along with other fish/tank mates. You did nothing wrong, Gball. And you can't really blame the betta either because that's just that one's nature. :( I will say that I have a betta like this and he's quite happy in his little 1.5G planted tank, by himself.

Sark

gball
10-07-2009, 05:07 AM
well I guess I tried to give him a better life in a large aquarium, off to the pen for him (1.5g).

bluebluecow
10-07-2009, 05:40 AM
yep def sounds like he is a mean betta, some are just like tha, If you do want a siamese in a community, I always use my lfs where some siamese are in the tanks with otherfish already as can see the behaviur they have.

I have a very BIg old Softy in my big red as he babysits the guppy and platty fry LOL

Liz

Shea Knight
10-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Sorry about your fish. :(

He does seem a mean one, but then fish do have those different personalities, part of the reason we love them (and sadly part of the reason they can drive us nuts sometimes!) ;)

Did you have just one betta? I've heard just one can get angry or feel threatened, and to keep in groups of three or more...?

Not TWO- they'd always go at it- but three so there's a bit of a poer standoff or at least a hierarchy...

Well, sorry again, and hope your tank recovers.

Neon
10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
yeah , i can confirm that it depends on personality mione is living ( maybe dying now ) peacefully with others , please see my signature. sorry to hera such sad story, but keep the faith , you can keep ur betta in another tank and re-create a new happy community!

Sarkazmo
10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Did you have just one betta? I've heard just one can get angry or feel threatened, and to keep in groups of three or more...?

Not TWO- they'd always go at it- but three so there's a bit of a poer standoff or at least a hierarchy...

Ummm... I dunno who told ya this but they know nothing about keeping Betta. Two or more males in one tank will end with all of them dead or all of them dead except for one nearly dead Betta. You can keep several females together but NOT males. Sometimes even females will kill each other or other fish in the tank. I'm lucky that my four females get along as well as they do although one of them killed the male that I had in with them during breeding.

Sark

tori.lock
10-07-2009, 10:36 PM
With bettas from my short experience with them I've learned that you should probably house them alone until you learn their personality. I was hoping to get a bit bigger tank and giving him a few friends in a while, but after watching him learned he's far too aggressive to be housed with anything. He went after a plastic toy sitting next to his tank, and even a tube of chapstick I set beside him. You could try with another betta, but house him alone, then later add him to the community if he seems docile enough.

Deleted User
10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I am sorry you're having problems with your betta.

We own six male bettas. Four of them live with platies, cories and glowlights. Two of them live alone. The only betta we ever had a problem with in a community tank was a red one and a friend had the same experience... so I wondered (based on that little bit of "data") if red ones are possibly more aggressive.

sheamurai
10-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I have a betta in my community too - and I chose him specifically for that. I don't know about anyone else, but I beleive that even when they are in their little bowls on the shelf in the store, you can usually pick out the scatty ones. They are constantly flared in their bowls at their neighbours and darting around like crazy. Some people call this "fiesty" I call it too aggressive. I always pick the ones that when I move the bowl against another bowl, it flares a bit then settles down after a few seconds. No guarantees of course, but the one betta I picked soley on looks was the only betta I had to remove from my community tank. He's the only reason I have a 6 gal betta tank!

WrenDraco
10-12-2009, 05:07 PM
My pink-and-blue Betta, Abalone, is crazy too. Flares at EVERYTHING. Me when I feed him, inanimate objects near his tank, whatever. Mirrors or the other Betta make him have a freakout and flail all over his tank flaring and trying to attack through the glass.

But I just 'inherited' a dark blue Betta from my other half's Grandad's wife (complicated), and he seems pretty mellow. Just like the above poster said, he flared a little at Abalone but then turned away and ignored him. So I think he'll be fine with the Neon Tetras in the ten-gallon.

sunfishman
10-12-2009, 09:58 PM
bettas will attack brightly colored fish, ie tetras, and long-finned fish, ie butterfly fish, confusing them for other male betta

Mr.Bluegill
10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
if the fish have long tails that look like a betta's the betta will attack them.

lahlumdi
10-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Fish definately have personalities! I had a very mellow Betta who got along great in a community tank with tetras. But none of them have flowing fins. That will set them off, I've heard.

So sorry you had to experience that!

HeatherB
10-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Sorry about your betta. It really does just depend on thier personality. I have also put one of my bettas, who was more aggresive, in one of those plastic breeder boxes inside my tank for a day or two. This way he got used to the other fish, but could not hurt them. Worked for me. You can also try rearranging your tank a bit when you add new fish.

One of your fish could have started off the killing spree, like, too many fish in his space? And the betta just finished them off.

thrakuarium
10-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Yes it is true bettas CAN be community fish with the operative word CAN, not ARE. After 2 failed attempts at adapting a newly bought betta to a community tank, which is why I have 4 betta tanks, I decided the best course of action is to observe the betta's personality first to see if it acts like it would be ok with company. My largest betta tank is a 10 gallon which now has that betta and 4 juli corys living peacefully together. Bettas can co-exist with other fish but it truly is up to the betta as to whether or not they want to. Flashy fish and large finned fish are usually problematic to bettas who may see them as another betta and therefore a threat.
Im sure even a 1.5 gallon is an upgrade for him. Take good care of him and he will pay it back times over in personality. He's not mean ... he's just a betta :hmm3grin2orange:

iZinedane
10-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Sorry about your fish. ya got any spare 5g's? he'll be happy in one.

sandypants
10-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh wow. Sorry about the loss of the other fish. As someone else mentioned though, don't hold it against him, it is- or can be- their nature. :scry: