PDA

View Full Version : SOS!!!Pregnant Cray Fish!!!?HELP!?

mikey999
04-05-2007, 04:44 AM
I purchased 2 Cray Fish from the local Petco about 10-12 weeks ago...

Now i got 1 Cray Fish that has got some crazy lookin things hangin off it!!!
I did some research online found out its eggs..

Anyone out there experienced this before??
Just tryin to find out what I should be expecting.

kimmers318
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I did a little research but not much.....I would be thrilled to see my crayfish breeding because that would save me $$$ on feeders! I believe though that you can let them do what comes naturally, just have plenty of hiding places for the babies.

cocoa_pleco
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
wow! yeah, just leave them and they will take care of themselves.

kimmers318
04-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Another Q for you.....where are you located at? You did say you picked these up at Petco correct? Were they some type of fancier crayfish or just the plain old brown ones, and what was the price? I regularly feed crayfish to my suvatti puffer and need a constant source.

mikey999
04-08-2007, 06:08 AM
I am in good ole Michigan.... Yes i purchased the crayfish at PETCO... i think like $1.94 or something like that real cheap. I actually got them for my nephew cause he was at the pet store with me and thought they would be cool to add to my tank. THey are just the plain ole' brown ones... were about 1- 2inch big, size has atleast doubled on both male and female since time of purchase(12-14 weeks..GUESSING).

I recently pulled an extra 10g tank outta the attick of my garage, and set the mother up in it on her own.....

Shes been doing a lot of hiding for the last 48 hours.... but signs of egg growth is still continuing, i am amazed by all this; the eggs start out smaller than a BB, and black, and within two to three days they double in size, and turn to a light pink color......

I must also add the number of eggs she is carrying has doubled if not more.

I've been visiting the local pet stores and askin questions, but no one i have talked to has ever experienced this.

Hope this helps.... Keep the ideas and suggestions coming.....

Mike