PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon 'sorority' tank

Garrett
10-05-2009, 07:29 PM
So, my father-in-law's been fascinated by the fish since I got into the hobby again, I was thinking for christmas this year I could get him into the swing of things very easy. For various reasons, I don't think any sort of high maintenance fish are the way to go, so I was thinking about a small group of female bettas. I've got one now, and she's great in my community tank. I was figure in a 10 I could probably do 3 or 4 without any real problems.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the idea? Is it a terrible one or would it work? Planted or not planted? That sort of thing.

Padams
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
10 cardinal tetra and a black betta would look cool

Nobodynotime
10-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I've had horrible trouble with sorority tanks because none of my females seemed to get along but if you can get it to work they are very pretty tanks. I had mine with guppys and they never bothered them, just each other, it makes for a very colorful tank.

Amazon
10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I think hed enjoy picking out his own fish. I know i really dont like it when people set up my tank. just my opinion though. Youm should take him to the lfs and show him what he can have and let him pick it out

geminidragn
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
I have a 10 gallon 'sorority' tank. I have four females of different finnage. Crown-tail, Cambodian, Spade, and one I haven't figured out yet. They do great together.

Planted with either real, fake, or both is the best way to go plus make sure there are different places to hide for each one so they have a place to "unwind". Heated and water conditioner, and filter too.

They do not have to be the same color either--all of mine are different colored. The MAIN TRICK is to introduce all of them together at the same time. Do not do one and then add another one later or the next day. AT THE SAME TIME!!!

There will be some chasing around and picking on each other to establish pecking order but keep an eye on them at first just in case. Have a back-up tank ready just in case, too.

Good luck!!

Garrett
10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Planted with either real, fake, or both is the best way to go plus make sure there are different places to hide for each one so they have a place to "unwind". Heated and water conditioner, and filter too.

Yeah, if I set this up for him it'd be my current 10, with a AC20 and heater setup.

As for him picking out the fish...her mom and dad took eight years to pick out a house. I'm afraid if I let him pick them out, he'd be still looking when I had grandkids.

VoidParadigm
10-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Some people have luck with sorority tanks, others don't. Pretty much all the labyrinth fish are pretty temperamental and completely hit or miss. lol.

I would suggest getting some low maintenance plants, though. Imo bettas both do better and look better with live plants.

Sharon
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I've had five females in a 10, and all was fine...they do need to be added at the same time.

Rue
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I've also housed 4 female bettas in my 25g mixed community tank...no problem...

But do have floating plants and places to hide...