PDA

View Full Version : Curling, bent fins?

tori.lock
10-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm concerned my crowntail betta has fin rot, but when I looked at pictures it didn't match. I noticed his fins started to kink and curl a while ago, and just wanted to watch it when I realized it looked nothing like fin rot. I was assured it was nothing wrong when his behavior didn't alter at all, but that was a few weeks ago and now the condition hasn't improved and if anything they seem a bit more bent. The tips are a bit white, and from afar seem almost clubbed.

I'm concerned this is either fin rot gone wrong, or something else, or just the way his fins go considering the fact he's a petstore mutt. He's eating fine, swimming around as much as usual and being his normal, fiesty, flaring self. In fact, he's been so pumped he attempted to attack a tube of Burt's Bees through the tank, and still excitedly greets me when I walk by.

Mvjnz
10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
CT's are sensitive to nitrate, and this can cause fin curling. I would suggest adding more fast growing plants and doing more frequent water changes.

Sharon
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I've noticed the same with some of my Crowntails. Nitrates weren't a factor in my case. It just happens, and there's no need to worry....:ssmile:

tori.lock
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I don't have any room left in his tank for more plants, but I will up the water changes. I was doing about a 75% change once a week and would try to get a 50% in between those. I'll just work a bit harder on making sure I do at least two 50% changes between the bigger clean.

Sarkazmo
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
CT's will bend and curl sometimes. Probably due to all the inbreeding with the species for specific traits. It's nothing to worry about. Often new fin growth will appear white at first then colour up later. There's nothing wrong with cleaning the tank more though.

Sark

Sharon
10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd do two 50% changes weekly, and leave it at that....:ssmile: