PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Meditated murder?

sandypants
10-04-2009, 10:57 PM
As some of you may know, I moved my betta to my community tank a couple of weeks ago. I had originally been concerned he may go after the other fish but to my surprise the first night some of the glo-lights and rainbows were picking on HIM! After 24 hours things settled down and all has been well. RJ (the betta) seems to have adjusted well to the current and larger pad and swims all over the place, comes to the top for food the moment I open it. I haven't seen any picked on fish.

However.... my Siamese Algae Eater on Thursday seemed to be missing but I thought he may be hiding. I usually count fish to do a headcount once a day (5 glo-lights, 3 gold tetras, 3 dwarf rainbows, one GBR, one betta and one SAE). I know SAE's can be "jumpers" but all possible openings on my tank are covered with a mesh material for this reason. When I didn't see him I checked AROUND the tank just to be sure but didn't see him and again, didn't think much of it. He usually blends in and I figured he was hiding out somewhere.

WELL, like I said, that was Thursday. I was gone all weekend starting Friday morning and hadn't turned the lights on to "count". Just fed them and went on my way to work and my sister's for the weekend.

When I came home today, I went to tell my "water babies" hello and saw... er.... something on the bottom of the tank... I just did a 75% water change last week and wasn't SURE what it was but there were a couple of fuzzy white looking patches in one corner... I immedietly thought "oh no! I hope THAT isn't Boot (the SAE)!!!" I netted what I could and sure enough, there was a definite black stripe on one "thing" and what looked like a litte fishy skull :( I am so upset- I really liked him! He was a cool fish and very low-key. As of last week he was happy and active, good coloring and I even noted to myself how he was growing! I got him as a jouvi about 2 months ago and he was only about an inch and a quarter long but he was pushing two inches already :(

I flushed what I could but then started thinking... HOW did he die :( the first thing I thought of was the betta... I don't know if he attacked. I didn't SEE any fight and there wasn't enough left of poor Boot to make a guess.

Now I don't know if I should take my betta out (or is that unfair to him if he DIDN'T kill Boot) should I wait ... but I don't want to lose anyone else if that WAS the case.... sigh. Anyway guess I just wanted to share about loosing Boot and take suggestions on what to do now. Like I said, the betta seems cool with everyone and Boot was very chill but maybe he invaded "territory" in his scouring for algae? :scry:

Lady Hobbs
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Fish often eat others when they die. Nothing new here.

sandypants
10-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Lady Hobbs. I am more concerned that the betta KILLED him :(

Rue
10-04-2009, 11:05 PM
I doubt it was the betta. The SAE would be a lot faster and would be able to get away from an aggressive betta...

Sharon
10-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree...it would be unlikely....

rich311k
10-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I agree not likely.

Sarkazmo
10-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, not likely. Way too fast and agile. Now, that being said, I had a Betta hunt down and kill all the ghost shrimp in his tank AFTER one of the GS grabbed his tail and started EATING IT!

Sark

sandypants
10-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Ok. Thanks guys. Guess it was prob. just "natural selection" and it was his time to go :scry:. On the other hand I will leave the betta where he is. Thanks again for your replies!