PDA

View Full Version : 30 gallon tank stocking

twiggin
10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Still working on figuring out what to stock my 30 gallon tank with.

I'm wondering about Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis. Would either of these work in this size tank? Sounds like the Cyprichromis might need a bit more space, but could it be done? I've looked at the Julie's but I just don't really like the shape...

One issue that seems like it might be a problem with a lot of the cichlids I'm looking at is that I have a gravel substrate that is fairly large diameter (up to a cm I'd say). Is that too big for a lot of species? It sounds like a lot of them like sand.

Another question is whether there are species that won't trash the java fern that I'm trying to establish.

It's so hard! It seems like every possible species has something that won't work with my set up. I guess it's just a question of reading lots and lots of profiles...

Lab_Rat
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Look into shell dwellers, many of these would be great for your tank. The fish you mentioned above all need a larger tank imo.

toddnbecka
10-07-2009, 05:08 AM
You could squeeze Paracyp's into a 30 long, but they'd be cramped. Forget about Cyp's, even the smallest species need a 4' tank minimum.
As for shellies, you could keep (after they're established) either a pair of one of the larger species or a colony of multi's. The larger shellies aren't as protective of their fry, once they're free-swimming they're either ignored or eaten. Multi's will guard their fry until they're large enough to join the adults in protecting the smaller fry.