PDA

View Full Version : Gold Apple Snail + 12tps sea salt?

rshack
10-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi all, First post here,, been reading threads lots of great stuff!

Purchase used 46g bow front, 10 days into cycling with "starter fish"

2 dalmation mollies
5 rummy nose tetras
2 danios
2 gold apple snails

Today found tetras have white spot, first I've noticed. 1 mollie was doin the occasional scratch from day one, think he was in on this caper.
Question: Does anyone have good info if sea salt will harm snails? I've diluted 6 tps, sea salt twice in last four hours, 12 tps total, been watchin everyone in tank, they all mostly seem happy. One rummy nose does a head stand every once in a while, lol, poor guy.

Also before any treatment, removed all charcoal, heater up from 76 to 86F, 25% water change, then added malachite green, surprised to see no color change in tank. Filter is Marineland 400 so me thinks pretty good circulation.
Also in tank from day 3 is 1.2lb piece of Mopani Wood,(driftwood) if that makes any difference? Had soaked in water for 2 hrs before introducing to tank.
Live in hard water area, ph is 7.6, ammonia (yesterday) was at .8, then changed 15% water. Next day found ich.
Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0.
Tryin to keep this brief, thanks if advance for any tips or info.:22:

Wild Turkey
10-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Yes salt will hurt the snails. Inverts are a bad choice for cycling with since they are more sensitive to the parameters being off generally.

Northernguy
10-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous!:22:
I do agree with Turk here!

rich311k
10-03-2009, 01:51 AM
The rummies are bad choices for cycling as well. I am sure they are not in love with salt in the water either.

Welcome and good luck!

rshack
10-03-2009, 02:15 AM
IC,, removing apple snails now, to a quarentine 2.5g, & stopping salt treatment. Will do 50% water change in morning, maybe start quinine instead of malachite green.. I had no idea rummy nose didn't like salt,

thanks for all the tips & input, you folks are great!thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
10-03-2009, 02:21 AM
IC,, removing apple snails now, to a quarentine 2.5g, & stopping salt treatment. Will do 50% water change in morning, maybe start quinine instead of malachite green.. I had no idea rummy nose didn't like salt,

thanks for all the tips & input, you folks are great!thumbs2:

Excellent choice! I would just go ahead and do 50-75% wc on the Q tank until the main tank is cycled and just then just reintroduce the snails, maybe give it an extra week or two but their bioload is quite low.

Actually, all the fish in your tank are gonna not be in love with salt, chances are they were born in an environment with none, but no ich treatment that i know of is stress free, but the danios and mollies are better choices for cycling fish though for future reference.

Its not that they for sure wont make it through the cycle, you just have to monitor the ammonia and nitrite more closely and keep it a little lower than you normally would.