PDA

View Full Version : Algea yabby

Full3R
04-04-2007, 06:55 AM
I went down to the local billabong today where many people go to fish out for yabbies and varies fish

I saw an old tin bucket that was smack in the middle of the sun and inside was a thick lot of Algea

Unfortunetly
Inside the Bucket was a Blue Yabbie with one claw about 7inches long
It is terribly covered in algea so much it cannot see
so i bought it home and put it in a tank with a white convict cichlid.
Im curious how can i get this algea off the yabbie to save it?

Im not joking
this is a terrible state of algea growthYou cannot really make out what is it unless u look closely
Its a walking ball of algea...

Chrona
04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
What's a yabbie? :confused:

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 01:56 PM
yeah, what is it? a lobster? crayfish? shrimp?

Abbeys_Mom
04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
It's a really pretty crayfish.
Is there any way to hold him and do some manual removable? There are algae killer products, but I don't know what effect they would have on your tank, or it's population.

Full3R
04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes as Abbys Mom stated a pretty crayfish lol
This particular species has a Bright Blue colouration to it
although un seeable due to the algea
i will try to manualy remove the Algea and iff not possible maybe some algea eating fish or snails ???

Severus
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Yea, how big is the guy. He might kill anybody that tries to eat off of him! lol. I googled yabbies and they are very cool. You are lucky you live around such nice wild fish. I think manual removal might be your best bet

Abbeys_Mom
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't think there is any algae eating fish that would have the patience to eat the algae from a moving object. If it did, it would probably stress out your Yabbie.

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
OH, i call those electric crayfish. Thats what mine was. He was a cory chaser

Full3R
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
This one cant see and barely moves, im contemplating buying some red claw crayfish tomorrow but still yet to decide

bettaboy691
04-07-2007, 09:15 PM
try to hold him and use some sort of cloth/sponge/whatever to remove algea. ofcourse, make sure the thing you use hasnt been used before and isnt hurting the yabbie.