PDA

View Full Version : Moving fish in cold weather??

DobieFish
10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Folks!

I'm new to the forum and need some advice. My husband and I have just recently purchased a new home and we're having a pond installed. We had a pond at our old home where we currently still have about 20 Koi and many goldfish. We live in Indiana and it's starting to get chilly. The pond installer is taking his sweet time and I don't anticipate that the pond will be ready for the Koi until next weekend or the following weekend. By then, temperatures will probably be below freezing at night and in the 50s and low 60s during the day. Will moving the fish during these colder temperatures put more stress on them than during warmer weather?

Our fish are more than just pretty fish for our pond, they are our pets and we'd do anything to minimize risks to their health. Any advice on the move and the temperature would be very much appreciated. I have read numerous directions on HOW to move them, but nothing on the best weather/temperature to move them.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice that you can give.

DobieFish

Northernguy
10-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
That is a great question!
I am sure it will be answered shortly.

DobieFish
10-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Great Thanks!

DobieFish

Crispy
10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Where are you moving them to? Indoors? Garage? My dad keeps his koi in a non-heated tank in the garage (w/filter) and even when the garage is freezing, the fish will just hibernate and stop eating (there will be a thin layer of ice on the top of the tank). When it's spring, he just tosses them back into the pond. They could tolerate any temp over the winter. Warm or cold.

DobieFish
10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
We're moving the fish from one pond to another. We're just concerned about moving them during their hibernation. Any thoughts?? Anyone??

Crispy
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
We're moving the fish from one pond to another. We're just concerned about moving them during their hibernation. Any thoughts?? Anyone??

Should be fine as long as they are not going from cold to warm water. Keep the temps the same and you won't have any problems. If temps are different, then you'll hafta drip acclimate them for a very long time.

AROWANALOVER
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Throw Em In There I Got A Big Pond, Koi In It The Top Is Frozen, I Poke A Hole To Feed Em Throw The Koi Food Inside, They Swarm.eat.they Are Healthy.they Are Alive.
Welcome To Aquatic Community! Im New Too, It Is Cool.

annageckos
01-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Since the only pond I ever had was a baby pool with a pond filter in it I am not sure if this pertains to you. But, what about the cycle? You are moving the fish from an astablished pond to a brand new one. Is this even a consern? And what happens to the bacteria in the winter? I also assume that you are either going to let the water sit or use a dechlorinater to get rid of the chlorine(assuming you don't have well water).

I do know that as long as the temp and everything is similar your fish should be fine. You don't want to warm them up or anything like that. It will be easier and less stressful if the temp stays about the same.

bushwhacker
01-01-2010, 10:19 PM
i dont do ponds but if you sent a PM to smaug here on the boards i'm sure he could answer your question

Scrup
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Throw Em In There I Got A Big Pond, Koi In It The Top Is Frozen, I Poke A Hole To Feed Em Throw The Koi Food Inside, They Swarm.eat.they Are Healthy.they Are Alive.
Welcome To Aquatic Community! Im New Too, It Is Cool.

ehh...you really shouldnt feed them if the water is below 50. They don't digest the food very fast if at all. they might still eat, but it causes problems after a while.

Cath
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
HI
It would be better to leave them until the weather warms up but if this is not possible keep the temps the same and transfer during the warmest part of the day you should be ok, dont feed them and if you can afford it treat yourself to a heater for your new pond. I live in England and although it gets very cold some winters mine have been ok,I also have Koi and goldfish.
They will be a little stressed because at this time of year they are not as active but they should settle quite quickly.
Good luck with the move
Cath

Cath
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Whoops only just read the date of first post

smaug
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,howd I miss this?(blush) I hope it all went well.